How is next year better ?

I think next year is shaping up to be real bad.  

I think there are two things that will have to be figured out to salvage a bowl team.

1.  Find a QB good enough to overcome the line play.

2.  Figure out special teams.

There are several red flags that I just don’t think will be corrected soon.

1.  Why are we so soft at RB?  Yant is huge and doesn’t delivery a blow on contact.

2.  The D line was man handled the last two games.  Not sure why there is so little talk about it.

3.  Our O Line and special teams are embarrassing, but we all know that.

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Watch us win the division next year lol I feel the sentiment but what if we pull a Northwestern? They have an awful season then bounce back when everyone thinks they are gonna be garbage and win the division. Thats what I see for us next season:koolaid2:

I'd believe that, but it would immediately be followed by 5-7 in 2023 and 3-9 again in 2024.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Lets really break down some things that we don't control: 

Northwestern will not stink next year-can't count that as a win

Illinois will improve upon what they did this year because Bielima can coach up players

Minnesota will be Minnesota and Ibrahim is coming back.

Iowa is the same team as Minnesota, they will be 7-8 win team again

Wisky- They will be better on offense next season and likely be a 9-10 win team.

Nebraska-?

How many easy wins do you see in the West division alone?  I am seeing maybe 2 right now.  My issue is Frost will not hire an OC that changes too much.  It will be someone who calls his plays and calls them with his approval.  Things will not change to much.  After watching yesterday and seeing the same mistakes and poor play calling with a different QB, this season all comes down to Frost being the one constant.  By the way, Smothers did a fine job.  He played good enough that I don't know why we were sending 2Am out there all season if he wasn't 100%.  Thats another area where Frost struggles.  He can't identify talent, and what works on the field.  I don't care about practice.  Yant looks the part on the field, and so did Smothers.

• Plus1 2

On paper, next year looks like an easier schedule, but keep in mind we only beat Northwestern this year and other teams try to improve themselves as well.  Even if we manage 6 to 7 wins, I could easily see us fall back to a losing record the following year, so I hope we don't throw a ton of money and extra years at Frost for one bowl season.  Recruiting is going to take a heavy beating until we get back to winning consistently which in turn will make winning itself tough.

1 hour ago, Jeremy said:

If they go after Willy Korn, and a good special teams guy, things could get interesting. 

If not? 3-4 wins, max. 

The real problem is, if Trev axes Frost, who does he hire? What options would he even have?

Until Willy follows his HC to Va Tech. We are seriously going to have to Google some of these new hires. I'm expecting to be extremely underwhelmed. We aren't getting the elite transfers. We are going to have to gamble on unknowns. 

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I think there are two things that will have to be figured out to salvage a bowl team.

1.  Why are we so soft at RB?  Yant is huge and doesn’t delivery a blow on contact.

2.  The D line was man handled the last two games.  Not sure why there is so little talk about it.

One area that has briefly mentioned has been S&C. We look better, but are we really playing better.  IMHO, a stronger, faster, fitter team doesn't go 3-9.  We have recruited well enough to be more "talented" than most (if not all the West) on paper.  If we have truly caught up to our peers, shouldn't the talent and strength be enough to over come some issues?  Our RB's go down with arm tackles.  Very little YAC.  Allen from Wisky (at 17) prior to playing us had 800+ yards.  500+ came after 1st contact.  I blame a lot of this on Held.  And now he is gone (2 years too late), but I digress.  OL get slapped around on the regular.  Maybe S&C is an issue.  Maybe we need to ditch the 80's-90's Husker Power stuff and join the 21st century.  Saban hired away the  Indiana S&C guy last year. His guy left and Saban wanted the best so he hired Ballou away from Indy....

• Plus1 2

Just to add a few remarks:  Who would come here even in the transfer portal?  We might have a lame duck coach and staff next season.  2AM probably will come back because no one else wants a QB thats rehabbing a shoulder injury.  Who do we lose after this debacle?  Yant? Irvin? Scott?  IF i were those running backs I would be searching the transfer portal.  There is enough tape on those dudes now that I could see many teams wanting them.  Smothers?  If this team and its talent isn't handled right, right now, we won't have alot coming back next season.  The defense will not be the same one next season.  We are losing too much on that side. 

5-7 is the best record I can see for this team next year.  Maybe 6-6, but I am struggling to find 5 wins as we sit right now.  6 wins would at least get a bowl game, but is that really what were after right now?  I truly think that if Frosty can't win 7 next season this experiment is over and we move on.  We watched this happen soon after we joined the Big 10.  Each and every team in the West improved in a short amount of time, and we did not and fell well behind.  He is 2022 coming and I see teams that will improve going into next season and were still cellar dwellers.  Illinois will be better.  Northwestern will not be a bottom feeder next season.  We know about the rest of the teams, but we know nothing about our own!

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Lets really break down some things that we don't control: 

Northwestern will not stink next year-can't count that as a win

Illinois will improve upon what they did this year because Bielima can coach up players

Minnesota will be Minnesota and Ibrahim is coming back.

Iowa is the same team as Minnesota, they will be 7-8 win team again

Wisky- They will be better on offense next season and likely be a 9-10 win team.

Nebraska-?

How many easy wins do you see in the West division alone?  I am seeing maybe 2 right now.  My issue is Frost will not hire an OC that changes too much.  It will be someone who calls his plays and calls them with his approval.  Things will not change to much.  After watching yesterday and seeing the same mistakes and poor play calling with a different QB, this season all comes down to Frost being the one constant.  By the way, Smothers did a fine job.  He played good enough that I don't know why we were sending 2Am out there all season if he wasn't 100%.  Thats another area where Frost struggles.  He can't identify talent, and what works on the field.  I don't care about practice.  Yant looks the part on the field, and so did Smothers.

I have no idea why people have said next year is easier.  Crossover Rutgers and Indiana replace MSU and OSU.  But are either of these gimmes?  

North Dakota, Georgia Southern, and who?  I can easily see us going 4-8. We lose in Ireland to Fitz....Forget about it.  Frost fired guys who should have been, but as you mentioned the results were the same.  Iowa blocked the ount and Frost completely wet himself.  Went into "air raid" mode and abandoned all pretense of trying to win vs hunkering down and hoping to simply not lose.  I have no idea who we will hire. I'm hoping it is a legit guy who can give us some positive press heading into recruit season.  The sooner the better.  The later it gets the more we get into "google WTH is that guy" territory.  And that won't help at all.

Yeah… he does panic and we lose today and I think many of the other losses are tied to his complete mental lapses at the worst possible times ( play calling and no swaps of QB and RB ) we know Smothers and Yant likely beats Purdue in the second half. The offensive line is leakier and more mistake prone  than Sadams Intel org.. this cost is games. We lost games by close scores but it shows how far away we are too… Frost needs a play caller that is not brain fogged with Nebraska history… Frost can’t  see the field for the N history or plays he ran…

I will say this - His guys don’t quit !!

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Your line of thinking of "who does he hire" is so dumb. Trev will go out and pursue coaches who he would be interested in.

My line of thinking isn't so much about Trev, as it is the pool of available, qualified coaching candidates. Guys that could really come in to Lincoln and turn things around like we wanted from Scott. Is the Brinks truck all that's needed to get a big name and make us relevant again, or has that ship sailed?

2 minutes ago, OreGUNHusker said:

BTW - JoJo is a Riley recruit like I think Suh was a Callahan recruit for Pelini…

Crazy to think Jojo was Mike’s..if Gebbia, TJ others are allowed to blossom at N where are we now ?

Gebbia beat Oregon… I know N admin was obsessed with getting Frost.. hindsight is a …..

Frost might be a bust, but so was Riley, and change was definitely needed. It's just too bad Frost walked into Lincoln thinking he could bring us back with just a playbook and some platitudes. 

• Thanks 1

(Sarcasm) The option style we've been running has worked great! Sadly, when they move their linebackers wide to try to stop it there's no way to anticipate and counter that strategy except to start flinging around deep or sideways passes.

(Not sarcasm) If you look at the roster over on Huskermax you'll see that this team is incredibly young with a buttload of freshman and sophomores already getting significant playing time. Sure, we'll miss a few SuperSeniors, but I have every reason to believe the guys coming up behind them will be as good or maybe better.

(Not sarcasm) A few of our special needs team problems are easily fixable; don't shoot yourself in the foot by faircatching the ball at the 5, set up your punt blocking like Iowa does it with a gang of badasses in front of the punter, find an old fashioned returner who can both catch AND run, ...I'm sure you guys have a bunch of other ideas about lanes and things.

1 hour ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Most will disagree.  But i honestly feel our scheme makes our running backs look soft. Yant is a guy who should be running in a Iowa, Wisconsin type of scheme. He should be running down hill, 1 cut and find a hole.  Some of our other back also.  But as a running back when you get few opportunities you start pressing to make big plays and do things you aren’t made fore.