How is next year better ?

46 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Just to add a few remarks:  Who would come here even in the transfer portal?  We might have a lame duck coach and staff next season.  2AM probably will come back because no one else wants a QB thats rehabbing a shoulder injury.  Who do we lose after this debacle?  Yant? Irvin? Scott?  IF i were those running backs I would be searching the transfer portal.  There is enough tape on those dudes now that I could see many teams wanting them.  Smothers?  If this team and its talent isn't handled right, right now, we won't have alot coming back next season.  The defense will not be the same one next season.  We are losing too much on that side. 

5-7 is the best record I can see for this team next year.  Maybe 6-6, but I am struggling to find 5 wins as we sit right now.  6 wins would at least get a bowl game, but is that really what were after right now?  I truly think that if Frosty can't win 7 next season this experiment is over and we move on.  We watched this happen soon after we joined the Big 10.  Each and every team in the West improved in a short amount of time, and we did not and fell well behind.  He is 2022 coming and I see teams that will improve going into next season and were still cellar dwellers.  Illinois will be better.  Northwestern will not be a bottom feeder next season.  We know about the rest of the teams, but we know nothing about our own!

We have a good team. Many of us claim it's a coaching problem. If I'm a recruit I know the next coach might be able to take this team and run with it, so I'm not worried about whether Frost & staff are here. I actually have more confidence in Alberts and the backup staff....he could make Ron Brown the head coach as far as I'm concerned.

• Haha 1
35 minutes ago, OreGUNHusker said:

It just feels like Frost “broke” somewhere back in the last few years… Like he forgot how to do the basics or he is so obsessed with the 1990s he can’t get out of his own way… like while at UCF he had fun and could be loose and do whatever… here he is would up tighter than Pelini..

Yeah it's seemed like that the moment he arrived. At Oregon and UCF he seemed to be loose and the "cool guy" and it showed in his play calling and amazingly his play calling mostly worked. Since he arrived in Lincoln it's like he has been straight serious business. I don't see any fun from him or excitement. 

But is that what you mean by being stuck in the 90s? That serious tone? Because his play calling or the way he has built this program is anything at all like the 90's. If we were anything like the 90's we would have an offensive line that could actually do something, a defense that refused to get mowed over when the game mattered, and a team that refused to let adversity ruin a game. 

He's all serious, looks to be having zero fun from the moment he arrived on campus, so before all the losing, next year he either needs to let loose and have fun and realize either he goes out having fun or his change in persona and going back to his old ways is what saves his career at Nebraska. 

• Plus1 3

3 hours ago, 3rd and long said:

So basically what you’re saying is he needs to learn to coach!?

I hope he does, but I’m certainly not optimistic. To aspire to having someone who “knows just enough to not beat themselves” is a pretty low bar. Unfortunately that low bar seems to still be out of reach for us. 

Yes to your question. The bold applies to 75% of the Big Ten coaches. Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan State have coaches that are good enough to not beat themselves, but none will be national title contenders anytime soon and none are likely to win a conference title. They play just good enough to beat most teams in their divisions but none have been impressive as pure coaches. If they had Ohio State's roster, I don't know that these coaches are good enough to win it all. However, you put Ohio State's roster at Northwestern or Purdue and either of those coaches can be dangerous. Brohm makes some boneheaded moves but the dude elevates his team and Fitzy has done so for the longest time. Only a handful of "elite" coaches in the conference. 

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Who are you talking about? Stanley, JD, Jojo, Stille, Allen, Bootle, Oz, Davis Twins, Mo, Stoll, Lamar, Jaimes, Daniel - all Riley recruits...

Riley sucked, but lets not rewrite history. 

Not re-writing history, just old enough to remember. Stanley Morgan, Davis twins, Dedrick Young, Stoltenberg were Pelini recruits that Riley's staff held onto. Go back and check if you'd like but please don't give Riley more credit that he deserves. Remember how big that Cali-braska "movement" was supposed to be? The only two players that contributed anything of note from that were Lamar Jackson and Marquel Dismuke. Needless to say, the effort was a failure. They struck out so often and stuck us with a poor roster which has finally cycled out. 

• Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Yeah it's seemed like that the moment he arrived. At Oregon and UCF he seemed to be loose and the "cool guy" and it showed in his play calling and amazingly his play calling mostly worked. Since he arrived in Lincoln it's like he has been straight serious business. I don't see any fun from him or excitement. 

But is that what you mean by being stuck in the 90s? That serious tone? Because his play calling or the way he has built this program is anything at all like the 90's. If we were anything like the 90's we would have an offensive line that could actually do something, a defense that refused to get mowed over when the game mattered, and a team that refused to let adversity ruin a game. 

He's all serious, looks to be having zero fun from the moment he arrived on campus, so before all the losing, next year he either needs to let loose and have fun and realize either he goes out having fun or his change in persona and going back to his old ways is what saves his career at Nebraska. 

You made me think of his first game here as the HC.  … and on.  The fun… got drowned out and then forgotten, it appears.

It doesn’t…best case scenario is that we finish 6-6 and that is a big MAYBE. The problem with this team is the guy at the helm. From his pressers, he does not believe the problem is with him so what makes anyone hope that Frost will change. If we get lucky, we might win some more home games if our opponents are not having a good year.

Personally I’m still not 100% sold on Chinander. He was fortunate that all of the super seniors came back, he had a very talented, deep, experienced defense this season. It will be interesting to see how the defense looks next year when they have to completely rebuild but I don’t see them being able to carry the team next year. In my opinion the only way this gets better is our offense will have to take a major step forward next year.  And obviously we have to take a major step forward in special teams. Watching the Ohio State Michigan game hurts to know we have OSU all they could handle and had Michigan on the ropes. But also gives me hope that we can get over the hump with some changes.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

We are losing some of our best players due to graduation or simply opting to go pro…I fail to see one positive sign that Frost can turn things around. No coach in FBS will be under more pressure to win than him and he has to assemble staff that can come in and help him turn things around knowing that his clock is ticking. He is not having fun because he is way over his head. At this stage, he has no idea how to fix things and he is not the type who will relinquish control of the offense to new assistant coaches. Recruiting will be extremely hard especially with that last loss to Iowa where we had total control of the game and we just let it slip away. No one believes in Frost and I do not think Frost believes in Frost right now. It will be a very strange and brutal offseason.

3 hours ago, OreGUNHusker said:

It just feels like Frost “broke” somewhere back in the last few years… Like he forgot how to do the basics or he is so obsessed with the 1990s he can’t get out of his own way… like while at UCF he had fun and could be loose and do whatever… here he is would up tighter than Pelini..

Someday, Husker Nation will more fully understand what was taking place these past four years. Looking from the outside... there is just something about all this that just doesn't make sense. There is a piece (or pieces) to the Frost at Lincoln story that are just missing from the puzzle right now.

Too many strange and bizarre happenings. Too many weird game endings and odd decisions along the way. Frost being so uptight and forgetting how to have fun on a football field. It's football man, not a funeral.

The Huskers mean too much to the State of Nebraska that even as frustrated as fans are right now... this program will come roaring back quickly once some real signs of hope and progress show up on the field. This doesn't mean that the Husker Dynasty years will return. College ball and recruiting have changed too much for that to happen like things were in the 70s and 90s.

But there us no reason that the Huskers cannot contend in whatever league they are in and find a way to get into the Playoffs -- especially if they go eight or twelve teams. Husker Nation's expectations have changed now and the bar is not quite as high (for most fans?).

I hope Frost realizes in the off season that he has nothing to lose next season. It's house money for him. Go for broke, have some fun, and maybe somehow still find a way for this Frost at Lincoln thing to work.

And if it doesn't... life will still go on. For him, and for the Huskers.

53 minutes ago, Roundball Shaman said:

Someday, Husker Nation will more fully understand what was taking place these past four years. Looking from the outside... there is just something about all this that just doesn't make sense. There is a piece (or pieces) to the Frost at Lincoln story that are just missing from the puzzle right now.

Too many strange and bizarre happenings. Too many weird game endings and odd decisions along the way. Frost being so uptight and forgetting how to have fun on a football field. It's football man, not a funeral.

The Huskers mean too much to the State of Nebraska that even as frustrated as fans are right now... this program will come roaring back quickly once some real signs of hope and progress show up on the field. This doesn't mean that the Husker Dynasty years will return. College ball and recruiting have changed too much for that to happen like things were in the 70s and 90s.

But there us no reason that the Huskers cannot contend in whatever league they are in and find a way to get into the Playoffs -- especially if they go eight or twelve teams. Husker Nation's expectations have changed now and the bar is not quite as high (for most fans?).

I hope Frost realizes in the off season that he has nothing to lose next season. It's house money for him. Go for broke, have some fun, and maybe somehow still find a way for this Frost at Lincoln thing to work.

And if it doesn't... life will still go on. For him, and for the Huskers.

He had nothing to lose? Or everything to lose….