How is next year better ?

Just watched Minnesota beat Wisky.  Those two teams aren't going anywhere soon.  They play power football, and do not beat themselves.  Iowa does not beat itself.  Northwestern will be better next season.  Do we see Illinois being better?  Indiana won't suck as bad next season.  Having a hard time finding 6 wins with our current system and coach.  Purdue will not be any worse, could be better.  Saying all this again because I just don't see how we compete like we did this year.  We won't lose games next season by one score or single digits.   This team mentally won't handle it like this team did.  Fools gold. 

Tom Hermann and Bill O' Brien are not the answer.  Neither guy would consider this job at any level, HC or OC.  This is why Trev retainted Frosty.  I am sure that Trev has had some feelers out since mid October and found no takers. 

1.  We need a good OC who can recruit.

2.  O line coach who can recruit and put guys in the LEAGUE.

3.  Hire a Special teams coach

4.  Hire recruiters first, then a QB coach. 

QB coach is only good if he can develop and recruit.  RB coach is last position I would fill.  Even saying all of this, were still behind most of the West division.  They are not afraid to play us anywhere and anytime. 

If you watched Michigan today, you saw what power football can still do and you saw what elite defensive line can do against a spread team. 

• Plus1 1

Not just hire a special teams coach but dedicate time towards that third of the game. 

We win 4 more games from that aspect alone.

Frost becomes more disciplined with his players and demand more perfection in practice and in games. We don’t magically do things bad in games…it starts in practice and the mentality of making a mistake is ok. The Best coaches demand high standards and steer these young men towards that standard.

Edited by GlobalHusker

Posted this on a different thread, but why are we not getting after some of those players in the transfer portal already?  Oline, D line and CBs galore in the portal already.  Hearing that Texas might have as many as 33 players enter the portal in coming days.  I think Sean Snyder would be a great addition to this staff.  First off, he is great special teams coach.  Second, I would not be afraid to name him next head coach if Frosty fails like I think he is going to.  Snyder would and could get this program back to at least a Big 10 caliber team and beat the teams we should. 

7 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Posted this on a different thread, but why are we not getting after some of those players in the transfer portal already?  Oline, D line and CBs galore in the portal already.  Hearing that Texas might have as many as 33 players enter the portal in coming days.  I think Sean Snyder would be a great addition to this staff.  First off, he is great special teams coach.  Second, I would not be afraid to name him next head coach if Frosty fails like I think he is going to.  Snyder would and could get this program back to at least a Big 10 caliber team and beat the teams we should. 

I posted on your other post, but NU is recruiting the transfer portal guys.  Very few transfers have made commitments on their next school. Will know in the coming weeks. 

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Nebhawk said:

They are certainly working the portal. I do not recall hearing any firm transfer portal destinations for any players or teams yet. Pretty safe to assume every team in the country is watching and connecting with potential options to add players. 

Not sure on Snyder jumping from special teams coach to head coach at Nebraska. Would help the staff for sure, but unsure if he’d be interested or not at this point. 

My opinion is biased (obviously) but I think we may be an attractive opportunity for several assistants. Anyone who watched our players this year can see that we have the talent, size and speed to win a lot. And with a relatively low bar to get over next year, a competent C to C+ season (6 wins) and they lock in another year or two. B to B+ season (8 wins?) and they solidify 2-3 years at least. Add in a favorable schedule and we are a great opportunity. Will be a fascinating off-season across the country with so many coaching changes happening. 

• Plus1 1

A lot can happen between now and the first game. If solid new coaches can be convinced to come to Lincoln we might navigate through a considerably easier schedule. We trade Ohio St and Michigan St for Rutgers and Indiana. The Oklahoma game is home and who knows if Lincoln Riley will be the coach. If we hire a good Special Teams coach that should translate to a win or two. The next month will be interesting.

• Thanks 2
On 11/27/2021 at 4:42 PM, Nebhawk said:

Just watched Minnesota beat Wisky.  Those two teams aren't going anywhere soon.  They play power football, and do not beat themselves.  Iowa does not beat itself.  Northwestern will be better next season.  Do we see Illinois being better?  Indiana won't suck as bad next season.  Having a hard time finding 6 wins with our current system and coach.  Purdue will not be any worse, could be better.  Saying all this again because I just don't see how we compete like we did this year.  We won't lose games next season by one score or single digits.   This team mentally won't handle it like this team did.  Fools gold. 

Yes to bolded part.

Illinois went 4-3 in final seven games of season and notched 2 road wins over ranked Penn State and Minnesota.  They started season with a win over Frost's Huskers.

In one season Bielma improved the win total, most major O and D stats, and won road games vs top 25 teams in gritty and gutty performances. He's a first year coach at ILLINOIS!!!  Ill-a-freak'n-noy beat us again with a first year coach. 

Bielma did a very impressive job this season and his team showed some unusual mental toughness under a new coach to go 7, 8, 9 OT"s on the road vs a ranked team and come out on top.  To see that kind of a win in a coaches first season, suggests he figured out rather quickly which buttons needed pressing and pressed them at all the right times.  I see Illini under Bielma only growing more difficult to beat.  Where/what can be pointed to anywhere to suggest we are making up ground?