Power Football

r06ue1

10 minutes ago, Undone said:

It’s pretty similar to a write-up of Bo Pelini’s tenure here. Just replace “Jim Harbaugh” with “Bo Pelini” and “OSU” with “Wisconsin.”   :D

I honestly was thinking the same thing.  Both Pelini and Harbaugh struggled to win the big game yet had great overall records and great conference records.  Both have very strong personalities that rub many the wrong way. Back in 2014 Nebraska had much higher expectations so 9 wins was not good enough for Pelini to retain his job which is probably the same reason some had Harbaugh in the hot seat coming into this season. The biggest difference appears to be that Harbaugh has had the support of the administration where it appears Bo did not get much support.  

Unfortunately, expectations are now so low at Nebraska that many are happy with moral victories and the excitement to getting to a 6-6 or 7-5 record sometime down the road.  I am still shocked Trev is sticking with a coach who has had 4 straight losing seasons and only beat one P5 team this entire season.  I can pretty much guarantee Harbaugh would be gone by now at Michigan if he had similar results as Frost has had despite Harbaugh also being a favorite son.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, ChrisBrownSportsBeat said:

Didn't see any "power football" from the Cornhuskers in the 4th quarter.  Looks like they were all playing grab-a$$ out there while being oblivious to the fact that Iowa was slowly cutting into the lead.  Just as well give the "Blackshirts" new purple shirts because they're a bunch of sissies.

And my little ponies!

• Plus1 1
On 11/27/2021 at 3:57 PM, HuskerNation1 said:

I fully agree. Michigan has a coach that sought to find any identify for his team and to stick with it.  Nebraska's coach has no idea what he wants the teams identify to be, and just when the team is doing something well, he abandons it.  After 39 minutes vs Iowa, Nebraska ran the ball over 80% of the time and had a 21-6 lead.  For the final 21 minutes we passed the ball over 70% of the time and failed to score again.  

I knew it was something like this, but seeing it put into words is just depressing.

The dreamer in me hopes Trev forces Frost to hand the keys over to the Army guy or the Air Force guy or the Coastal Carolina guy, but I don't want to get my hopes up.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

I knew it was something like this, but seeing it put into words is just depressing.

The dreamer in me hopes Trev forces Frost to hand the keys over to the Army guy or the Air Force guy or the Coastal Carolina guy, but I don't want to get my hopes up.

I dont think we need to go that out of the box. Why cant we run what Michigan runs? we have consistently out recruited the entire B1G West. Minus this year. No reason we cant play good defense and smashmouth offense and win 8+ a year. 

Some of these threads lately...smh.    

Frost, along with literally 95%+ of coaches in college,  want to run the ball.  Frost has failed to effectively accomplish this goal.  Nebraska's inability to run when we want to has cost us over half of our losses in the last 4 years.  To think that Frost, or any other coach, isn't running because they don't want to is flat ridiculous.

Some of you are putting Michigan on a pedestal.  They will likely make the college football playoff when they beat Iowa Saturday.  This is the same Michigan team that Nebraska was beating with 3 minutes left in the 4th...  We lost because we fumbled on a power run play.       

• Plus1 3
4 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Some of you are putting Michigan on a pedestal.  They will likely make the college football playoff when they beat Iowa Saturday.  This is the same Michigan team that Nebraska was beating with 3 minutes left in the 4th...  We lost because we fumbled on a power run play.       

We could take this thread in multiple directions. We probably shouldn't even talk about Michigan because they have so much recruiting talent that it's kind of ridiculous compared to us. Thus, they can run a more pro style offense that's based around power but then still put up 35 points in a game because of offensive talent.

The same can't be said about Iowa, for example, whose scheme is very similar.

Could we win 7 games next year by being really option-heavy with Smothers, assuming that special teams gets fixed? It's definitely possible.

But I still say we need a throw-first QB out of the transfer portal to maximize our potential. If we just all of a sudden started running the ball 65% of the time (which I really doubt Frost would even agree to do in the first place), I think it would leave a lot of potential untapped with our WRs that come back next year anyway.

• Plus1 1
On 11/27/2021 at 5:06 PM, Undone said:

You gotta absolutely love our fans accusing the Scott Frost of ruining the program with a “pass happy offense.”

Like, you couldn’t have even dreamed it up.

Never said Frost's was, but some fans actually want more passing than running or a more balanced offense. 

We simply do not have the QB or the tackles to pass more often. Run the freaking ball.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, Undone said:

Could we win 7 games next year by being really option-heavy with Smothers, assuming that special teams gets fixed? It's definitely possible.

But I still say we need a throw-first QB out of the transfer portal to maximize our potential. If we just all of a sudden started running the ball 65% of the time (which I really doubt Frost would even agree to do in the first place), I think it would leave a lot of potential untapped with our WRs that come back next year anyway.

Another thing that I don't like about QB-heavy rushing offense is that your QB he will get hit a lot.  In a physical league that is a recipe to get that QB hurt.   

Now some element of QB run in the offensive scheme can be a good thing, but it should be a limited number of carries IMO.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, r06ue1 said:

Never said Frost's was, but some fans actually want more passing than running or a more balanced offense. 

We simply do not have the QB or the tackles to pass more often. Run the freaking ball.

When you look at the play selection of the first half against Illinois, it seems to me that Frost & Lubick came into this season wanting to be pretty run-heavy this season. But our line didn’t block for s***.

Then I think they just lost confidence to run it in that 55% - 60% zone - and the stats support this.

But it’s weird because our yards per carry stats by our backs went UP in the two most critical games of the second half of the season (Minnesota & Purdue), in yet Frost/Lubick called fewer run plays.

We just really failed to get our backs to a place where they were carrying us. Greg Austin as “Run Game Coordinator” was a complete failure, IMO.

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, The Dude said:

They don’t have the horses to run it but I’ve been ready for years and COMPLETELY agree. 

17 minutes ago, KCBuc said:

They don’t have the horses to run it but I’ve been ready for years and COMPLETELY agree. 

What would your reaction be though if we ran the 1995 playbook to a ‘T’ but went 3-9 next year?

Still just happy to see the old scheme inside Memorial Stadium nevertheless?

• Plus1 1