New Staff Selection

1 minute ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

He’s a damn good OLB coach. I just don’t know how the #s game will work

Not only lb.  He turned the DL around as well.  He left a year for NFL but came back. He is a dedicated fire breather.  Give him a couple more years and the Blackshirts will really deserve the name!   Leave the Defense alone.  Frost can coach the QBs since he will be running the offense.  It will be like Solich in his final year when he named Barney Cotton the OC.  Barney called the plays and Frank told him what to call!
Frost can succeed but only IF he truly bends his offense away from the spread somewhat to more two RB sets and true power running formations and blocking.  Any honest commitment to a Big ten style run game (25% of the time) coupled with another 25% option run, 50% other - spread, pro set under center, etc.  Keep the pass/run ratio under 40/60 with less than 6 QB scrambles a game.  
The key is get atleast 175 yards a game and 4.5 yards per carry from traditional RB positions.
this is what’s been missing - the ability to line up and run the ball 7 times in a row and get first downs. Patience.  10-12 play drives with 9 runs and 3 passes.   Forget “chunk” plays between the 25 yard lines and focus on getting first downs and steady drives with ability to finish them.   

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

Not sure but with early signing in 2 weeks I would think it would be ASAP. Also while all these other programs are trying to pin down their head coach we need to lock down the assistants we want. Less competition right now.

This is pretty much what I was thinking. It seems the longer it takes, the worse off we'll be, like in late '03, early '04.

2 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Does anyone know if there's some kind of time frame here? Like, when does Frost have to get these guys, whoever they are, picked, hired, and out recruiting?

I have to assume it needs to be ASAP with the early signing day happening on the 15th. That's not a lot of time to shore up what you can with this class (I know it's going to be small and pretty bad from a star perspective).

I don't see why delaying brings anything unless they are coaching this weekend.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, HuskerNation1 said:

In case you want some fun with flight tracker, it looks like there is a flight from Baton Rouge landing in Lincoln in about an hour...

Also a flight from Lexington later today?

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airports/lnk

This is my favorite time of year. Inject the flight trackers into my veins.

Only missing the sock puppet and the aquarium guy. Then we're set!

• Plus1 3

2 minutes ago, captain_sasquatch said:

I have to assume it needs to be ASAP with the early signing day happening on the 15th. That's not a lot of time to shore up what you can with this class (I know it's going to be small and pretty bad from a star perspective).

Moves are being made. Florida and USC are stealing the head coach from a winning program. So I don't think anyone is waiting until after conference championship week.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, captain_sasquatch said:

The transfer port is loading up fast with quite a few guys with some talent.  It may actually work out well IF Frost has scholarships to use in this flurry of next few weeks.  How many leave NU will tell.  We only have a handful who can’t come back - some may test the waters (pro or transfer) and opt to stay. 
Frost knows if AM is staying.  That is key.  I think AM and Smothers could run the new NEB offense (see above) quite nicely.  Bring in QB Raiola as your future guy.  
crazy as it sounds, it’s always darkest just before the dawn.   
TO and Trev are working thru this mess.  Let’s see how the chips fall and let the dust settle.  There is turbulence across the country.  

2 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

The transfer port is loading up fast with quite a few guys with some talent.  It may actually work out well IF Frost has scholarships to use in this flurry of next few weeks.  How many leave NU will tell.  We only have a handful who can’t come back - some may test the waters (pro or transfer) and opt to stay. 
Frost knows if AM is staying.  That is key.  I think AM and Smothers could run the new NEB offense (see above) quite nicely.  Bring in QB Raiola as your future guy.  
crazy as it sounds, it’s always darkest just before the dawn.   
TO and Trev are working thru this mess.  Let’s see how the chips fall and let the dust settle.  There is turbulence across the country.  

Raiola is a 2024 kid....Frost has to win more games than he loses the next few years before we even have a sniff at this kid in Lincoln. 

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, captain_sasquatch said:

This is my favorite time of year. Inject the flight trackers into my veins.

Only missing the sock puppet and the aquarium guy. Then we're set!

This is the off-season content I'm here for.  Next thing you know, there'll be another Tressel sighting on campus.

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Just now, Red Five said:

Joseph has coached RBs in the past.  Wonder if he is the hire there and Beckton gets WR/TE.

If we hire a dedicated WR coach it is going to be tough to get a ST coach unless we consolidate on the defensive side.

What if the OC coaches QB?

1 minute ago, HANC said:

What if the OC coaches QB?

Then we'd just be swapping an OC that coaches QBs instead of an OC that coaches WRs. 

Just now, captain_sasquatch said:

I hear Tom Herman was spotted at a local Hyvee getting some Chinese food. My buddy approached him and asked him if he was taking the job and he put on a sweater vest, winked, and left. 

He ordered both an egg roll and crab rangoon. 

• Haha 2