New Staff Selection

34 minutes ago, Red Five said:

That still 11 assistants if we have a full time ST coach and Frost coaches either QBs or OCs.

Maybe we're dropping a defensive coach?  Do we really need 3 coaches between DL, ILB, OLB?  Maybe they'll just on title switch Dawson to ST title wise and spend bulk of his duties there while pitching in on the LB coaching.  Who knows but you'd think some kind of title change may be needed unless the below is what happens

Weren't there rumors Frosty wanted Joseph as OC a few years back? I wonder if Joseph will get OC duties or they quasi split that between him and frost to make the numbers work. 

11 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Ah yes, because a handful of teams, none of which were elite or even close to elite at said time of conference moving, is a fair sample size and totally an apt comparison to a title contending, conference champ program.  You sir must have gotten an A+ in statistics back in the day because your perspective and scientific reasoning is bullet proof!  

If any one is creating the narrative they want to believe in I think its you bud.  I simply laid out facts that Oklahoma, whether you want to look at the past 3, 5, 10, 20 years, is significantly better than where any of the teams you outlined at the time they switched.

Your argument would have legs if said schools were actual conference  champs prior to moving, but they weren't.  In fact, of those schools- we were by far the closest and yet I'd still confidently make the case that our profile in the late aughts pales in comparison to the progrum oklahoma has had and will continue to had.     

Again, we were playing in the conference title game two years before leaving and the second year after leaving. Mizzou played in the SEC title game in year two. Those by definition were “title conference contenders” by literally contending in the conference championship game. 

Oklahoma has been more consistent the past 20 years. That part isn’t being disputed. What I was disputing was your contention that changing conferences has little/limited “direct impact on program success” as a wildly incorrect take. If you believe Oklahoma will carry this same level of success (10+ wins every year) in the SEC, I have an Oceanside condo in Gering to sell you. 

thanks pal! 

3 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Again, we were playing in the conference title game two years before leaving and the second year after leaving. Mizzou played in the SEC title game in year two. Those by definition were “title conference contenders” by literally contending in the conference championship game. 

Oklahoma has been more consistent the past 20 years. That part isn’t being disputed. What I was disputing was your contention that changing conferences has little/limited “direct impact on program success” was a wildly incorrect take. If you believe Oklahoma will carry this same level of success (10+ wins every year) in the SEC, I have an Oceanside condo in Gering to sell you. 

thanks pal! 

What's being disputed is you equating the outcome from middling conf teams to a perennial top 5 team in the country.

To you, making a conf title game with 3-4 losses qualifies as conf champ material.  To me, making a conf title game with 3-4 losses qualifies as a good year that got a bit lucky due to a weak division/circumstances that fell our way.

Neither one of us knows wtf the future has in store.  But your proclamation that OU is about to slip into the dark days, simply because they are switching conferences and providing a  crappy comparison to other progrums with literally completely opposite track records, is borderline baseless as hell.  

I will also add and end it with this- the likelihood of Oklahoma maintaining a 10 win clip, even in the SEC, is much more likely to occur then them slipping to a .500 progrum you seem to be claiming.

thanks bud!

1 minute ago, gossamorharpy said:

What's being disputed is you equating the outcome from middling conf teams to a perennial top 5 team in the country.

To you, making a conf title game with 3-4 losses qualifies as conf champ material.  To me, making a conf title game with 3-4 losses qualifies as a good year that got a bit lucky due to a weak division/circumstances that fell our way.

Neither one of us knows wtf the future has in store.  But your proclamation that OU is about to slip into the dark days, simply because they are switching conferences and providing a  crappy comparison to other progrums with literally completely opposite track records, is borderline baseless as hell.  

I will also add and end it with this- the likelihood of Oklahoma maintaining a 10 win clip, even in the SEC, is much more likely to occur then them slipping to a .500 progrum you seem to be claiming.

thanks bud!

When did I say Oklahoma was slipping to the “dark days”? I didn’t so don’t put words in my mouth. 

My point, again for you, is that changing conferences has a significant impact on a program’s direct success more often than not. Have to go back to VA Tech in the ACC to find the last team to switch conferences and win the conference title. 

Maybe you had a little too much koolaid this weekend but you’re statements of what I said are entirely inaccurate and I would appreciate it if you read what is written before spinning it to fit what you think you’re reading. Thank you.

5 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

My point, again for you, is that changing conferences has a significant impact on a program’s direct success more often than not. Have to go back to VA Tech in the ACC to find the last team to switch conferences and win the conference title. 

Not sure how you're defining this exactly, but PSU has won a conference title in the conference they switched to more recently than Va Tech. 

10 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

When did I say Oklahoma was slipping to the “dark days”? I didn’t so don’t put words in my mouth. 

Maybe you had a little too much koolaid this weekend but you’re statements of what I said are entirely inaccurate and I would appreciate it if you read what is written before spinning it to fit what you think you’re reading. Thank you.

My apologies, it was a poster you quoted that said oklahoma may be slipping to the dark ages.  The overarching point I was trying to make is that I feel a s#!t coaching hire for them will lead to this moreso than the impact of going to the SEC.

Perhaps I should have added more context to my stance- I feel like OUs change is vastly differnet to all the others.  They still get to play in Texas with UT and A&M in the SEC, Texas is still in their backyard, and now they get to play guaranteed games in fertile AF recruiting grouds in the Florida, Louisana and Georgia, amongst other talent rich states in the south.  

This to me, is completely different compared to what we went through where we were literally hanging on to a thread in texas recruiting by getting to play their a handful of times a year.  Texas not in our backyard geographically and us moving away from those schools pretty much killed a strong foundation of our recruiting.  I don't think this is going to happen with Oklahoma and I also think they have the capital/cache to go out and grab a great coach even with getting blindsided like this.

And on the kool aid topic- I wish I had had more.  I was deaf to the game and outcome on Friday- muted and subdued in my reaction due to the consistent let down of this progrum for years now in a game like that.  

I promise I will try my best to not misrepresent something you said when it should have been credited to another poster and for that I am sorry.  Perhaps we can agree to disagree on the trajectory of OU, I for one, am hoping they continue to succeed at a similar level in the SEC because I think we have more in common wiht them, historically, than almost any other program in the country from a geography/success standpoint.  

I guess what I'm trying to say is, we're both prolly pretty agitated salty as hell husker fans clamoring for the days of even modest success.  We can't let our internal dissension tear us apart any further, I f'n love you man. 

4 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Not sure how you're defining this exactly, but PSU has won a conference title in the conference they switched to more recently than Va Tech. 

I wasn’t focusing on 30 years ago (pre-BCS I guess). I was making the point that changing conferences has more than just a little impact on a program’s “direct success.” Outside of additional money, only a few schools have improved, sustainable on-field results after changing. And none of those have won a league title since VA Tech did after they realigned in the mid-2000s. 

As for Oklahoma specifically, I think it will be difficult to maintain 10 wins a year or 75-80% of the years when only Alabama and Georgia have consistently been able to reach that feat in the SEC. I think they will more likely be an 8-5 program (like Texas A&M) than they are to continue to match an Alabama (10+ wins every year).