New Staff Selection

3 hours ago, HANC said:

SF specifically said he was more than likely going to hire an OC before staff for the reasons stated.  Does this mean his OC has been hired and not announced due to still playing?

With the talk of Mickey Joseph getting hired, I wonder if Beckton will be the OC? Or maybe Joseph as OC/WR?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I wasn’t focusing on 30 years ago (pre-BCS I guess). I was making the point that changing conferences has more than just a little impact on a program’s “direct success.” Outside of additional money, only a few schools have improved, sustainable on-field results after changing. And none of those have won a league title since VA Tech did after they realigned in the mid-2000s. 

Most schools that have switched conferences in the 21st century are not historically great schools.

A&M is performing just as good if not better than they did in the Big XII.

Mizzou is performing just as good if not slightly worse than they did in the Big XII (looking at longer trends, not flash-in-the-pan moments).

We were performing roughly as well until non-conference related poor decisions took us down a few notches.

Colorado is as good as they were in the Big XII.

Rutgers and Maryland aren't doing any better or worse than they were before.

So on and so forth. 

5 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

In case you want some fun with flight tracker, it looks like there is a flight from Baton Rouge landing in Lincoln in about an hour...

Also a flight from Lexington later today?

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airports/lnk

And Willy Korn was at a recruits house yesterday afternoon/evening in the Chicago area, three flights a day arrive from there

38 minutes ago, bisonwiches said:

And Willy Korn was at a recruits house yesterday afternoon/evening in the Chicago area, three flights a day arrive from there

One of ours or a CC interest?  Please let it be ours..Korn is young, BUT with Joseph, Brown and Beckton that’s a lot of exeperience to lean on.  If Joseph and Brown are hired. 

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would get excited about this. 

I would too, just the numbers are making me wonder.   Either we won't be getting a ST coach or Frost knows of some more potential moves (maybe Fisher leaving giving Busch DBs/and ST?).  I mean with the rumored MJ, this,  and Busch hirings I'm very optimistic, just makes me scratch my head on how they fill positions with only 10 coaches.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Undone said:

You would think that Alberts at least gets this. And if he does get it, you'd think he would know at this point to not trust Frost to get special teams fixed with just the analyst position + Dawson/Becton.

At first I thought it was dumb to fire Lubick, but I'm holding out hope that the reason for the quantity of offensive coaches being fired was to ensure the right shuffling of position duties could happen to actually bring in a dedicated ST coach.

It seems likely Frost intends a major change in offense - scheme etc - otherwise why dump  long time good coaches by frost’s own terms.  
he has to be planning a major change offensively it seems to me.  Trev and Co agreed with his major plans when he announced Frost was to remain a HC.  Frost has three years or so on his new contract.  Plenty of time with a new staff to change the O systemically.  Next year he can double his win total (to 6 from 3), play in the new Maxipads bowl , defeat SW La tech or Bethune Cookman.  Call it The Start of Something better campaign.   I can see the entire PR campaign.  Transfer portal will give us lots of new unproven 4 star potential etc.  

fans will buy it.  By year 3, a slight dip but the schedule was against us and those darn Big Ten refs and a couple guys got hurt.  
the script is quite predictable.  Then the new facilities will need finished with phase II or III or IV?    
quite the plan.  

• Haha 2
9 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

It seems likely Frost intends a major change in offense - scheme etc - otherwise why dump  long time good coaches by frost’s own terms.  
he has to be planning a major change offensively it seems to me.  Trev and Co agreed with his major plans when he announced Frost was to remain a HC.  Frost has three years or so on his new contract.  Plenty of time with a new staff to change the O systemically.  Next year he can double his win total (to 6 from 3), play in the new Maxipads bowl , defeat SW La tech or Bethune Cookman.  Call it The Start of Something better campaign.   I can see the entire PR campaign.  Transfer portal will give us lots of new unproven 4 star potential etc.  

fans will buy it.  By year 3, a slight dip but the schedule was against us and those darn Big Ten refs and a couple guys got hurt.  
the script is quite predictable.  Then the new facilities will need finished with phase II or III or IV?    
quite the plan.  

You can run mostly a similar scheme, with better coaches and get better results. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Smithers said:

Hiring Peetz as OC is a fireable offense itself. I have absolutely no idea why his name is even being considered, he has been absolutely awful at LSU and has no other relevant coordinator experience. His husker ties are not a qualification. 

8 hours ago, M.A. said:

Beyond Joseph and Brumfield, what could be done is going with Korn or Peetz as a coordinator. Then a more senior advisor is brought in such as Ciarrocca as an analyst given his experience in the Big 10 and other considerations.

Riaola or Garrison OL. Possibly Davis as OL/Run game coordinator. Compensate him well.  Sowder at Kent State is somewhat intriguing but like Korn he's not well seasoned IMO. It's quite a step up for both. At any rate, whatever combination there is the offensive line has got to be a priority. It HAS to be solid.

Bill Busch and Matt Davison have likely been working extensively behind the scenes identifying potential options. I'm still not thrilled with Helfrich or Herman coming on board. And if Chad Morris comes out of the woodwork to be our OC, I'll eat my socks. 

Selections are made from a pool of those available and interested.

Korn is on the wish list and I'll be elated if he's hired. I'd like to see someone like Ciarrocca on staff as an analyst that has a good understanding of the Big 10 to play a complementary, supportive role. Then you have someone with the credentials as Brumfield or Busch orchestrating Special Teams. Beckton remains TE coach. Maybe he could be a co-offensive coordinator. That, or have a OL coach that's a rushing coordinator.

It'll be interesting to see who the RB coach is. And we need the best O-line coach we can get to draw players in and develop them at a high level. 

At any rate, whatever the configuration ultimately is, it's based on interest, who is available and a number of criteria including a budget. A process involving face to face meetings, proposals, offers and counteroffers. Patchwork if you will. Lots of extensive behind the scenes work!