New Staff Selection

Just now, thatguy said:

No it wouldn’t because a new coach finding and hiring a new staff is considered standard practice. A lame duck coach looking for top line assistants in his area of expertise for a 1 year contract is chaotic. 

it’s not particularly mathematical. Chaos doesn’t necessarily increase because there’s more positions to fill. Filling out the entire staff makes it more straightforward. When it comes to coaching staffs, Trying to hire 4 people for 5/6 roles is more chaotic than a blank slate of 10 people for 11/12 roles. This current head coach’s deficiencies makes things worse. 

:facepalm: 

• Plus1 3

This is dragging on.  We may dip into the NFL which would potentially give us some fresh ideas, how good?  Remains to be seen. 

The Chiefs Mike Kafka remains my darkhorse. 

Or could it be Jeff Grimes, Baylor OC, after he coaches Saturday?  We need to make a big offer.

Tom Manning at Iowa State?  He may be locked into if opportunities open for Campbell.  Otherwise we can outpay ISU.  

Seems as if other dominoes have stalled us out?  Unless it is someone coaching this Saturday.  

A longshot still but landing places for Tom Herman have gone off the board, Texas schools, VA Tech, even WA.  Looks like he's content to chill while enjoying his TX $

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

This is dragging on.  We may dip into the NFL which would potentially give us some fresh ideas, how good?  Remains to be seen. 

The Chiefs Mike Kafka remains my darkhorse. 

Or could it be Jeff Grimes, Baylor OC, after he coaches Saturday?  We need to make a big offer.

Tom Manning at Iowa State?  He may be locked into if opportunities open for Campbell.  Otherwise we can outpay ISU.  

Seems as if other dominoes have stalled us out?  Unless it is someone coaching this Saturday.  

A longshot still but landing places for Tom Herman have gone off the board, Texas schools, VA Tech, even WA.  Looks like he's content to chill while enjoying his TX $

I don't think the time issue is necessarily a negative. Maybe the aim is to announce all of the hires together at once. I think they've been in discussions with OC coaches for awhile and just haven't had opportunities for meetings face to face to go in depth. I'll be surprised if we don't learn something within the next 24 hours. Grimes would be an awesome fit. Maybe even Kafka too. I've looked into him a couple of times. My daughter might not like us snagging him up though lol. Chiefs fan.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, admo said:

Please.  No Korn, no Chadwell, no Sun Belt Conference talk, thank you.

Korn isn't just an OC, but the Co-OC.  For coastal carolina.  Let that sink in. They play against Texas State, Arkansas State, Georgia Southern, South Alabama, Troy, etc.

Let that sink in also.

That's the missing piece?  That's who yall want at Nebraska??!  Really? Pssh, please.

I thought the purpose to fire HCSF or replace his assistants was because we need P5 coaching and experience ASAP, from the likes of the SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12, etc.

Sounds like yall imagining that this would be a great fit. 

And as I look around the P5 landscape, a lot of coaches are going elsewhere, and it leaves a lot of P5 coordinators and coaches jobless and available.

Korn... Coastal.  :facepalm:

#7 scoring offense, #6 total offense, #6 rushing offense, #1 red zone TD percentage.

Dead f#&%ing last strength of schedule.

I dunno, I've got mixed feelings. Like I said above, you watch their clips, and you can tell it ain't the same league of opponents. OTOH, Chip Kelly was OC at New Hampshire (FCS) when Mike Bellotti hired him at Oregon. That worked out pretty well for them.

But still, I always prefer coaches who have some recent-ish experience at a major program. It seems like a lot of guys who came up through the smaller schools (whether G5 or a lower P5 school like Oregon State), it's like either they don't know how to handle the level of competition they'd be facing with a P5 schedule, or their whole system is built around covering for deficiencies in their players and they don't know what to do with good players when they can get them.

6 minutes ago, Toe said:

#7 scoring offense, #6 total offense, #6 rushing offense, #1 red zone TD percentage.

I dunno, I've got mixed feelings. Like I said above, you watch their clips, and you can tell it ain't the same league of opponents. OTOH, Chip Kelly was OC at New Hampshire (FCS) when Mike Bellotti hired him at Oregon. That worked out pretty well for them.

But still, I always prefer coaches who have some recent-ish experience at a major program. It seems like a lot of guys who came up through the smaller schools (whether G5 or a lower P5 school like Oregon State), it's like either they don't know how to handle the level of competition they'd be facing with a P5 schedule, or their whole system is built around covering for deficiencies in their players and they don't know what to do with good players when they can get them.

I don't think this can be a learn on the job hire, and it will be in the Big Ten for G5 coaches.  We already know this, Frost should know this, Alberts should know this.  Maybe this works if we are still in the Big XII but coaches can adjust halfway through a game in the Big Ten and shut things down quickly, as we have seen over and over.  

We need proven P5 coaches, and if they won't sign up to come help Frost save this then 2022 is just going through the motions.  

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Toe said:

The fact is the matter is…. This isn’t his offense. He’s no different than a Troy Walters or a Matt lubick. He’s just CO….co…yes I said co-oc on a group of 5 offense.   He may turn out to be the best oc in the world…. Can we risk him learning on the job, and standing up to frost about calls, while learning on the job!?!?  He isn’t the right guy for us….. even though the name fits perfectly. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

@Huskinator Yeah, that's the other thing, the 'co'. Still, he's been with Chadwell at three different schools - I'd imagine he has a pretty solid grasp on what makes their offense tick by now. No play calling experience, though.

Makes me wonder if we could maybe end up with co-offensive coordinators ourselves? Like co-OC Korn coaching QBs and another co-OC with a P5 background coaching WRs or RBs.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, Toe said:

@Huskinator Yeah, that's the other thing, the 'co'. Still, he's been with Chadwell at three different schools - I'd imagine he has a pretty solid grasp on what makes their offense tick by now. No play calling experience, though.

Makes me wonder if we could maybe end up with co-offensive coordinators ourselves? Like co-OC Korn coaching QBs and another co-OC with a P5 background coaching WRs or RBs.

Korn/Joseph share the OC while being QB and WR as well?

That could work...

wait... Joseph doesn't have P5 oc experience... dammit 

• Fire 1
6 minutes ago, Toe said:

Yeah. I mean I’d take that. I think he’d be a fantastic coach who has a little dabble in the offense. I don’t think he should be the top dog though.  Like a oc in training if the big dog we bring in moves on. (That’s my hope, I’m not saying it’s realistic lol)