New Staff Selection

1 minute ago, JoeHuskers! said:

Korn/Joseph share the OC while being QB and WR as well?

That could work...

wait... Joseph doesn't have P5 oc experience... dammit 

My hope is for a big dog to come in for a year to pad his resume, maybe 2 years before he becomes a head coach somewhere. Bring in korn and build off thar. I believe korn will be a hc in a few years too

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, Toe said:

@Huskinator Yeah, that's the other thing, the 'co'. Still, he's been with Chadwell at three different schools - I'd imagine he has a pretty solid grasp on what makes their offense tick by now. No play calling experience, though.

Makes me wonder if we could maybe end up with co-offensive coordinators ourselves? Like co-OC Korn coaching QBs and another co-OC with a P5 background coaching WRs or RBs.

No play calling experience, coming directly into the Big Ten.  No one thinks Frost won't just step in after things get rocky and take over play calling?  How is that different at all?  Maybe that is the plan.

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, Toe said:

#7 scoring offense, #6 total offense, #6 rushing offense, #1 red zone TD percentage.

Dead f#&%ing last strength of schedule.

I dunno, I've got mixed feelings. Like I said above, you watch their clips, and you can tell it ain't the same league of opponents. OTOH, Chip Kelly was OC at New Hampshire (FCS) when Mike Bellotti hired him at Oregon. That worked out pretty well for them.

But still, I always prefer coaches who have some recent-ish experience at a major program. It seems like a lot of guys who came up through the smaller schools (whether G5 or a lower P5 school like Oregon State), it's like either they don't know how to handle the level of competition they'd be facing with a P5 schedule, or their whole system is built around covering for deficiencies in their players and they don't know what to do with good players when they can get them.

22 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I don't think this can be a learn on the job hire, and it will be in the Big Ten for G5 coaches.  We already know this, Frost should know this, Alberts should know this.  Maybe this works if we are still in the Big XII but coaches can adjust halfway through a game in the Big Ten and shut things down quickly, as we have seen over and over.  

We need proven P5 coaches, and if they won't sign up to come help Frost save this then 2022 is just going through the motions.  

19 minutes ago, Huskinator said:

The fact is the matter is…. This isn’t his offense. He’s no different than a Troy Walters or a Matt lubick. He’s just CO….co…yes I said co-oc on a group of 5 offense.   He may turn out to be the best oc in the world…. Can we risk him learning on the job, and standing up to frost about calls, while learning on the job!?!?  He isn’t the right guy for us….. even though the name fits perfectly. 

I hear what you are saying.  I like CC and their O a lot.  Will it transfer to the B1G?  From information suggested in various threads, Frost and Co went to CC to see what they do.  Part of our O that went up 21-6 to against Iowa and kept the lead until......Was a lot of what they run.  So yes it works.  When we went back to Frost ball, 2 runs in the 4th, well we all know what happened there.  And most of the games this season.  

We are in the mess now for the very reason that y'all mention.  We took a HC, with 2 years experience, from the G5, who brought his whole staff and he has done nothing but give us the worst season since the 1950's.  And unlike Melvin Gordon's single season rushing record that lasted one week, we wil hold the "most losses by a single in score in one season" forever.  There is no progress in 3-9.  None, nade, nyet, nine, etc.....

If we haven't landed a big time hire by now, we will not.  The staff was fired on 11/8 IIRC.  Other coaches who are still coaching have been chosen already.  Already/still on the recruiting trail.  Napier playing in a conference championship-hired.  Kelly with potential to be in the CFP-hired.

The whole, maybe they want to announce the staff at one time....Did USC, LSU, UF, etc......give two rips about this?  No.  They found, fixed and finished their searches for the first piece incredibly quick.  NU, looking like amateur hour.  I am done giving NU credit for some crap they are incapable of doing.  Matt Davison is helping with the search.  WTH does he know about this....Sounds eerily familiar.  If the plan is to grab ex Huskers, go see if Shields will come back.  Mike Minter been at Campbell for years. Hell, reach out to Turner as OC/QB coach..... 

Korn is no more or less the OC than Helfrich was under Kelly.  Or half the guys under Urbs, Saban or Dabo.  They have learned and/or are learning from their HC.  Our problem, much like my complaint with Bo, you have, for all intent and purposes, a brand new coach in Frost (read inexperienced) who brings in an equally inexperienced staff and has no sounding board.  Learning on the fly, and at least on one side of the ball getting worse.  Different QB in his first start playing no worse thana 4 year starter and 3 year captain.  Mind numbing coaching decisions and a patch work staff of analysts that kept us in the game against a top team until Frost did what he has done since he has been here...Keep Ron Brown at least you have what seems to be 100 years of experience.  

Korn might be our best bet. I don't see us going after Herman (stupid), we won't throw the cash at Grimes.  So where are we at?  Harrell, Helfrich, the guys form WVA?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Huskinator said:

Yeah. I mean I’d take that. I think he’d be a fantastic coach who has a little dabble in the offense. I don’t think he should be the top dog though.  Like a oc in training if the big dog we bring in moves on. (That’s my hope, I’m not saying it’s realistic lol)

Yeah, I could see that if we brought in a guy like Herman or Mullen, who will probably be looking for another HC gig before long.

3 minutes ago, Toe said:

Yeah, I could see that if we brought in a guy like Herman or Mullen, who will probably be looking for another HC gig before long.

I think both guys you named would be good here.  Truly.  But as you mentioned this would be a short "rehab" spot to get a better gig.  They go 6-6 or better in year one and will look like rock stars.  The media will be all over it and their stock will rise.  And they will probably leave.

I'll throw out if OU goes all in for Venables, how about NU go after Clemson OC Tony Elliot?  Clemson is my 2nd team and a lot of folks not happy this year with his play calling......Hell, get us to 9-3 and a chance to be 10-3 NU might build him a statue....

1 minute ago, lo country said:

I think both guys you named would be good here.  Truly.  But as you mentioned this would be a short "rehab" spot to get a better gig.  They go 6-6 or better in year one and will look like rock stars.  The media will be all over it and their stock will rise.  And they will probably leave.

I would have no problem with Nebraska doing so well next year that our OC gets a HC gig somewhere.

• Oh Yeah! 2
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would have no problem with Nebraska doing so well next year that our OC gets a HC gig somewhere.

Same here.  We get some national love for the "turn around", regardless of reason, NU gets some love, Frost gets some love, the recruiting gets an uptick and we get in the national conversation about "this is what loyalty looks like" or "patience pays off".  The media would eat it up.  And winning cures a lot if ills.  It would also pen the door for other more "long terms hires" to come in as OC.  We go 6-6 or better next year and Frost gets that "franchise coaching" contract.

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, Smithers said:

Mickey Jospeh officially staying at LSU. Appears Willy Korn is also staying at CC.

prepared to be underwhelmed boys. Frost f#&%ed this up massively. 

If true, I hope you aren't surprised?  I have a whole thread about being underwhelmed.  This is what I expect.  I am at the expect the worst and you won't be disappointed.  It has cut down on my drinking.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, MinnwiscowaSker said:

Frost needs to hire guys that can help us win next year, or he's gone. It's not time to train someone in. It's time to win games and buy more years. I'm fine with a one or two year OC and he should be too.

With guys staying put, I'd throw 3 million at Herman to be OC and QB coach.  Do it now.  I am thinking we are screwed and Frost wants Helfrich.  Davison thinks it's a great idea.  Wasn't he there when Mr .500 beat Helfrich....