New Staff Selection

5 minutes ago, Husker74 said:

You need to watch games if you think that happened every time.

It certainly didn't happen every time, and Frost's offense definitely had its moments - no doubt. The problem is how streaky and inconsistent we've been the last 4 years. The last game, in particular, revealed a real structural flaw with the scheme. The safety. It wasn't a fluke, and I think Iowa's staff was well-prepared; they watched the Minnesota game.

Our offensive line and QB, whoever it may be, can't keep their heads when passing near our own goal line. We're bleeding the lead away, and we need to run clock, but Frost calls a pass. Sacked. 3rd and long. Run the ball, control the damage, punt away and play D? No. Try to pass, sacked again, safety. 

A few B-back dives/A-back counters, maybe throw in a Rocket Toss? Maybe we get a first down, maybe not, but we run the clock, punt the ball away at the very least. 

2 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

It certainly didn't happen every time, and Frost's offense definitely had its moments - no doubt. The problem is how streaky and inconsistent we've been the last 4 years. The last game, in particular, revealed a real structural flaw with the scheme. The safety. It wasn't a fluke, and I think Iowa's staff was well-prepared; they watched the Minnesota game.

Our offensive line and QB, whoever it may be, can't keep their heads when passing near our own goal line. We're bleeding the lead away, and we need to run clock, but Frost calls a pass. Sacked. 3rd and long. Run the ball, control the damage, punt away and play D? No. Try to pass, sacked again, safety. 

A few B-back dives/A-back counters, maybe throw in a Rocket Toss? Maybe we get a first down, maybe not, but we run the clock, punt the ball away at the very least. 

There hasn't been nearly enough continuity with running and passing IMO. Meshing schematically. 

15 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Whoever Frost wants to.  It probably won't be Joseph though, because he hasn't called plays in the past.

Yeah I guess I am wondering if they will have a running game coordinator and an overall OC with the OC calling the plays, or if they will just have a running game coordinator who has experience calling the plays and that will be his additional assignment (just as Joseph has associate head coach as an additional assignment).   

With several new offensive members coming together, chemistry is going to be one of the most important factors to hit the ground running and have success in 2022.  Each new hire must be willing to lean in and listen to the others and work cohesively as that will filter down to the team as well.  

21 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Yeah I guess I am wondering if they will have a running game coordinator and an overall OC with the OC calling the plays, or if they will just have a running game coordinator who has experience calling the plays and that will be his additional assignment (just as Joseph has associate head coach as an additional assignment).   

With several new offensive members coming together, chemistry is going to be one of the most important factors to hit the ground running and have success in 2022.  Each new hire must be willing to lean in and listen to the others and work cohesively as that will filter down to the team as well.  

My guess is that Frost has an OC unofficially hired, whose expertise is running the ball.  He will be the guy calling the players, and also the running game coordinator.  The new OC, Frost, Joseph, and other work on game plans and adjustments to the playbook each week for the defense each week.  The new OC will focus on the run-game aspect of that game plan, while Joseph will focus on the passing game aspect of the game plan.  Yes, chemistry will be important, but the separate run/pass game coordinators is done all over football in terms of developing the game plan, and then one lead guy will call the plays on offense.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1