New Staff Selection

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

I think he lost his other gig and he was offered one at his alma mater. Nothing more.

Mickey was talking with NU at least a week or two before the Brian Kelly news.

Doesn't mean he was guaranteed a spot since it was known that Orgeron wasn't coming back, but it definitely doesn't mean he made the decision because he lost his job.

• Haha 1

On local sports radio in Tulsa this morning they were talking about how quickly OU hired Venables as the new HC and that they don't have the "Nebraska mess'.   Others are noticing and recruits are noticing and portal players are noticing - one month in and we don't have OC and other assistant coaches named and we have a signing date just around the corner.  :facepalm:

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

On local sports radio in Tulsa this morning they were talking about how quickly OU hired Venables as the new HC and that they don't have the "Nebraska mess'.   Others are noticing and recruits are noticing and portal players are noticing - one month in and we don't have OC and other assistant coaches named and we have a signing date just around the corner.  :facepalm:

I do think the longer this drags on the worse it will look for Nebraska.  At this point the only game left is Army vs Navy and there would be no reason to wait until that game ends if Davis were the OC candidate.  I do understand waiting til after this game for teams playing in CCGs.  If we do not hear something by EOD tomorrow I would start to be concerned that Plan A fell through. I feel like today should be the day we hear something though.

3 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Here's a question: what's more important?

That Frost fills the positions quickly

Or

That Frost makes sure he gets the hires correct

How about we not just assume without evidence that everything is terrible? Especially after he already hit a home run getting MJ here

MJ will be our only good hire as Frost does the correct thing just over 30% of the time. So he might get another coach that is 5ish % good. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I can't imagine going through life with this general perspective

It's not a general perspective. It is called intelligence. It is called learning from what evidence we have from the last 4 years. At this point Frost has lost earning the benefit of the doubt. Now he has to prove everything. We are supposed to believe he is orchestrating some great hire that is dragging out? We are 1 week from early signing and needing to secure kids from the transfer portal but we dont have a coach named yet. 

No other program is sitting around and waiting. They are doing what is in the best interest of their program. Is it in the best interest for Nebraska to wait for someone else to finish their games? No. So WTF? 

Are we trying to win a nice guy competition or are we trying to set ourselves up to win games next year?

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

Indeed, we hired Frost and his entire staff SUBJECT to their coaching thru a Jan bowl game.  They did work on some recruiting during the transition but we got all that done with a future arrival satisfactorily.  

I remain hopeful there is method in the process that we aren’t seeing but it is rare that some kind of leak or rumor with tracks doesn’t happen in the course of things.  A HC is harder to keep quiet but assistant spots are less problematic and should be easier one would think.   There could be some unknown, unusual circumstances of course but it is atleast worrisome.  And, we have heard nothing from the guys terminated about new jobs etc.  So, why the rush to fire them before season’s end if not to put new guys right away?   

1 minute ago, ActualCornHusker said:

How do you know Nebraska is just sitting around and waiting?

How do you know they're waiting for anyone to finish their season?

Maybe those things are true, maybe not. This is what I mean - people are jumping to assumptions based purely on speculation.

McKewon & Sipple have both relayed on their podcasts that Frost is being very diligent and detailed with these hires, making sure that he gets the right fit at each spot.

You may disagree with the approach, but can we just wait and see who gets hired before we all just hit the panic button? The defeatist mentality is so exhausting.

I was responding to the narrative of why we have not named anyone. Because the only reason people seem to have for why a month has gone by without naming a coach is because we are waiting for someone to finish their season. The longer the search goes on is a bad look- no one believes you are just "being thorough". The last time our coaching search drug out it is because no one wanted the job and we ended up with Bill Callahan. You look good as a program when you make quick decisive action. 

McKewon and Sipple are media members who help the program because it gives them access to the right people. So of course they are going to be positive. 

I understand your thought on the defeatist attitude. But we have been a disappointing program for nearly 20 years and the fanbase has heard all the reasons and excuses under the book. So I am sorry but many are at the point of don't tell me show me. Unfortunately there has not been much "showing" going on. Just more talking about how great practice is and how close we are.

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Indeed, we hired Frost and his entire staff SUBJECT to their coaching thru a Jan bowl game.  They did work on some recruiting during the transition but we got all that done with a future arrival satisfactorily.  

I remain hopeful there is method in the process that we aren’t seeing but it is rare that some kind of leak or rumor with tracks doesn’t happen in the course of things.  A HC is harder to keep quiet but assistant spots are less problematic and should be easier one would think.   There could be some unknown, unusual circumstances of course but it is atleast worrisome.  And, we have heard nothing from the guys terminated about new jobs etc.  So, why the rush to fire them before season’s end if not to put new guys right away?   

Regarding the bolded, that was pretty shocking to me as well. He could have informed them that after the season they'd be relieved of their coaching duties and had them finish the last 2 games, but it's not my call, and the offense didn't seem to miss them logistically so whatever I guess.

3 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I was responding to the narrative of why we have not named anyone. Because the only reason people seem to have for why a month has gone by without naming a coach is because we are waiting for someone to finish their season. The longer the search goes on is a bad look- no one believes you are just "being thorough". The last time our coaching search drug out it is because no one wanted the job and we ended up with Bill Callahan. You look good as a program when you make quick decisive action. 

McKewon and Sipple are media members who help the program because it gives them access to the right people. So of course they are going to be positive. 

I understand your thought on the defeatist attitude. But we have been a disappointing program for nearly 20 years and the fanbase has heard all the reasons and excuses under the book. So I am sorry but many are at the point of don't tell me show me. Unfortunately there has not been much "showing" going on. Just more talking about how great practice is and how close we are.

So if we as fans want the program to turn itself around, which do you think is more helpful:

1) the fans draw irrational, negative conclusions about everything going on which creates negativity nationwide

Or

2) the fans unconditionally support the program and the coaches until it's absolutely 100% clear that it's time to clean house

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

True.  Didn’t seem to miss them at all.  That may be mostly because the season was all but done so nothing new to teach or train and we have the ‘shadow’ staff that stepped in.  It kinda suggests maybe we are over staffed despite our general ineptitude in so many areas.  

This then kinda begs the question of why we didn’t see these issues months or even years sooner.  Adrian really never improved much over 4 years. O line - same.  WRs and RBs were a revolving door of next man up  - a bunch of co-3rd stringers seemingly.   Toure being a glaring exception but he learned elsewhere.  

• Plus1 2