New Staff Selection

20 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

How do you know Nebraska is just sitting around and waiting?

How do you know they're waiting for anyone to finish their season?

Maybe those things are true, maybe not. This is what I mean - people are jumping to assumptions based purely on speculation.

McKewon & Sipple have both relayed on their podcasts that Frost is being very diligent and detailed with these hires, making sure that he gets the right fit at each spot.

You may disagree with the approach, but can we just wait and see who gets hired before we all just hit the panic button? The defeatist mentality is so exhausting.

If people type it enough on a message board, it must be true.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

True.  Didn’t seem to miss them at all.  That may be mostly because the season was all but done so nothing new to teach or train and we have the ‘shadow’ staff that stepped in.  It kinda suggests maybe we are over staffed despite our general ineptitude in so many areas.  

This then kinda begs the question of why we didn’t see these issues months or even years sooner.  Adrian really never improved much over 4 years. O line - same.  WRs and RBs were a revolving door of next man up  - a bunch of co-3rd stringers seemingly.   Toure being a glaring exception but he learned elsewhere.  

Agreed. And these are the issues we all hope get fixed/vastly improved with the moves Frost made

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

Here is another question.

Did we make the intelligent hiring while waiting over 40 days hiring Callahan?

I know it is different, but with an early signing program, this feels like it is taking a long time.

Another question:

Is it diligent searching or a lot of no's?

My guess is no one has been "offered" yet, even if they have been offered.

Also, Frost knows this set of hires is going to decide his fate.  Dude is probably freaking out.

So is Matt Davison, he knows his gravy train is tied to this!  Choo-choo

• Haha 2

My biggest fear is that Frost is looking for a splash hire and has struck out so far. Ludwig at Utah and Grimes at Baylor would have been splashes, but my guess is they turned us down.

This tweet by Sam McKewon gives me pause: 

One could read it as him prepping Husker nation for a not-so-splash hire, but I'm curious if he is prepping Husker nation for a splash that does not fit at all (i.e. Graham Harrell). 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, captain_sasquatch said:

My biggest fear is that Frost is looking for a splash hire and has struck out so far. Ludwig at Utah and Grimes at Baylor would have been splashes, but my guess is they turned us down.

This tweet by Sam McKewon gives me pause: 

One could read it as him prepping Husker nation for a not-so-splash hire, but I'm curious if he is prepping Husker nation for a splash that does not fit at all (i.e. Graham Harrell). 

Sam getting an erection as he is about to write a 6,000 word research paper on some dude.

• Haha 3
5 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

Here is another question.

Did we make the intelligent hiring while waiting over 40 days hiring Callahan?

I know it is different, but with an early signing program, this feels like it is taking a long time.

Another question:

Is it diligent searching or a lot of no's?

Probably would have heard some rumors of rejections and we have not apparently.  I view that as very good.  It could be a done deal and the reasons will be clear, once the grand reveal happens.  I know that is out of character and very very unusual but let’s hope.  Hope is our only hope!   lol. 

24 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Indeed, we hired Frost and his entire staff SUBJECT to their coaching thru a Jan bowl game.  They did work on some recruiting during the transition but we got all that done with a future arrival satisfactorily.  

I remain hopeful there is method in the process that we aren’t seeing but it is rare that some kind of leak or rumor with tracks doesn’t happen in the course of things.  A HC is harder to keep quiet but assistant spots are less problematic and should be easier one would think.   There could be some unknown, unusual circumstances of course but it is atleast worrisome.  And, we have heard nothing from the guys terminated about new jobs etc.  So, why the rush to fire them before season’s end if not to put new guys right away?   

It's possible particularly in relation to Brent Davis that that's the way he's requested for Army and his team. Still think he's involved in some capacity either OC or OL, run game coordinator. 

3 minutes ago, roadrat said:

I find it laughable the rest of the country is worrying about what Nebraska is doing. We have hardly been a force to contend with for a long time.  I also haven't checked to see what Venables record as a head coach has been. Oh that's right, he's never been a head coach. 

That's what I was thinking. Who is Oklahoma to say anything about the 'Nebraska mess'? Am I crazy, or didn't they just have a coach flee Norman in the middle of the night, throwing disarray into a program that hasn't dealt with that since before Stoops was hired? Does Venables already have all the assistant positions filled?

We might have issues, but they're not nearly as bad as Oklahoma's, not to mention the bevy of 4 and 5 star guys that decommitted in the last week.

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

That's what I was thinking. Who is Oklahoma to say anything about the 'Nebraska mess'? Am I crazy, or didn't they just have a coach flee Norman in the middle of the night, throwing disarray into a program that hasn't dealt with that since before Stoops was hired? Does Venables already have all the assistant positions filled?

We might have issues, but they're not nearly as bad as Oklahoma's, not to mention the bevy of 4 and 5 star guys that decommitted in the last week.

Yes, they have a mess to clean up.  I reported wt a Tulsa World guy said in an interview this morning - basically that OU acted quickly but Nebraska is still struggling to fill 

staff positions.  Of course, ever since Nebraska left the Big 12, the Tulsa World and Trammel over in OKC don't pass up any opportunity to spit on us.  I've had to write a couple of letters to the editors in response. They sometimes sound like jilted lovers. 

• Plus1 1

Has anyone given credence to the fact that people also apply for a job and the HC and AD kind of choose after interviews? I understand that in the big market for HC, teams pursue hires. SF said two weeks ago that he was pleased and surprised at how many quality candidates had made contact with extreme interest. Maybe we haven’t struck out and aren’t in a panic. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1