New Staff Selection

We'll have to "wait and see" once the turtle crosses the finish line. Really wasn't anticipating a splash hire like Grimes but thought surely we could do better than the aforementioned candidate that's been discussed tonight. Never in my wildest dreams would I think we'd be considering an air raid coordinator for our offense or anything close to one at Nebraska. I'm not interested in the guy or his scheme. 

Hopefully with some good fortune we won't go that route and we'll hear some better news soon. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I don’t think there is a easy solution. Frost has tried to be run heavy since he’s been here and it clearly isn’t working either. Run heavy, pass heavy, well balanced - it’s all a 1 year Hail Mary at this point. Frost might be sick of trying to out Wisconsin/Iowa/Minnesota the Badgers/Hawks/Gophs. Maybe the path of least resistance rests heavy on using Betts, Omar, Fidone, Rahmir in the passing game. Getting an OL coach who can get the hogs decent at pass blocking and getting a big time transfer QB. 

Frost just as well quit.  Trev and he can hire the moving guys together.  Frosty the throw man will fail and history will remember the Frost tenure as amongst the worst in modern college fb anywhere.   Frost will make Riley Pelini Callahan and Solich look like hall of famers. 

If the rumors were true the Regents and deep pocket guys gave Frost the extra year with provisos, I am pretty sure it was not to go air raid.  It would have been - run the damn ball, repeatedly -often- throughout the game = efficiently and seriously.  Using conventional run offensive schemes. 

1 hour ago, Vince R. said:

Unless Graham is willing to change a ton of his offense, I just don't see how this is the direction Scott goes. This is kind of crazy. 

Eh, I'm not sure about that.  USC was right at 55/45 pass/run this year.  We're not talking about the 72% pass Mike Leach offense.

They put in some of Frost's running schemes and get close to 50/50 and that could be interesting.  

USC would have had to run one more running play per quarter to be 50/50 this year.

• Plus1 8
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

Not sure what OU team you have been watching over the past 7 years, but Lincoln Riley has been adamant, and on record, about having a good running attack. Below are his rankings in rushing O at OU as both an OC and HC. The last two years were a drop off, last year due to COVID and personnel issues, and he has mentioned how the running attack this year has been an issue holding them back. Their best offensive years have been when they can run it well, he is on record stating as such. Not saying Harrell would do the same under SF, but it is possible to blend Air Raid with a dominant running attack.

Rushing Ranks

2015 - 23rd (OC)

2016 - 18th (OC)

2017 - 27th (HC)

2018 - 11th (HC)

2019 - 14th (HC)

2020 - 49th (HC)

2021 - 54th (HC)

If I recall, you said balanced running attack.  That is what I was speaking to.  And I disagreed.

I love OU's offense, particular under Stoops more than Lincoln Riley.  Stoops team ran the ball and threw it.  Mixed it up great.  Mike Leach even had some years with RBs going wild.  All because of the threat of air-raid, and against inferior talented teams.  And when you up by 35 from throwing to amazing receivers, with amazing QBs, and a good OL, you are going to run more as the game goes and collect rushing stats.  Those stats will help with ranks. 

People are way too caught up with how things look and not the end result. We were losing pretty this year, and for some reason people seemed to enjoy it. Hell, in this thread we have people s#!tting on Harrell for whooping a conf foe, but they didn't rush for any yards. I really don't care who we hire, if Frost wants to ride or die with them for one season, they can save me a spot on that bus. Run for 300 yards a game with Brent Davis, throw for 300 with Harrell, hire Ron Brown as the OC for all I care...doesn't matter just win games. Frost is gonna have to own it if it doesn't work out regardless of who it is. 

• Plus1 5
  • Oh Yeah! 4

Maybe, just maybe, two of the issues so many have outlined (recruiting and development) are exactly what Frost is trying to address.

As many have outlined, the scheme isn’t entirely the issue. Our scheme actually works well at times.. it’s the talent and execution of the scheme that’s been the major issue. Just because a guy is rooted in one scheme doesn’t mean he can’t adapt to others and tweak for overall improvements. 

MJ, Quinn, and to a certain extent Harrell are guys known for recruiting and developing at high levels. As others have stated, I’m willing to roll with whatever changes are decided since there’s literally nothing any of us can do to change the fact that HCSF is coming back and changes are happening. 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, admo said:

If I recall, you said balanced running attack.  That is what I was speaking to.  And I disagreed.

I love OU's offense, particular under Stoops more than Lincoln Riley.  Stoops team ran the ball and threw it.  Mixed it up great.  Mike Leach even had some years with RBs going wild.  All because of the threat of air-raid, and against inferior talented teams.  And when you up by 35 from throwing to amazing receivers, with amazing QBs, and a good OL, you are going to run more as the game goes and collect rushing stats.  Those stats will help with ranks. 

Not sure what you disagree with about OU having a balanced running attack. They constantly have a 1,000 yard back and another with 400+ on top of QB yards. They run between the tackles and outside, it isn’t an option only scheme. In 2019 there too 2 RB’s went for 1,011 and for 515, plus 1,298 from Hurts. In 2018 their top 2 RB’s went for 1,056 and 947, plus 1,001 from Murray. In 2017 their top 3 backs went for 1,161, 744, and 542, plus 311 from Mayfield. Not sure how you get a more balanced rushing attack than that.

• Plus1 1

The more I think about it, I can't help but wonder if Graham Harrell's name was purposely floated out there now to gauge what the fan's reaction would be?

Based off multiple Husker message boards (including this one), and along with twitter reactions to the Lincoln Journal Star story about the OC search - the overwhelming consenus at least from the fans is that this hire would be an absolute train wreck of a disaster.

Frost would essentially be signing his own pink slip for next year by hiring Graham Harrell as his OC.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I don't know much, but one thing I do know with 100% certainty is that Graham Harrell isn't the answer.

I said the same exact thing when Mike Riley was hired.

Not sure if Harrell will work or not, but excuse me for pointing out that a sample size of 1 doesn’t indicate make you Nostradamus. 

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

I'd be willing to bet a lot of the people ticked off about how slow this process is going were also frustrated that Frost brought his entire staff with him back when he was hired. You can't have it both ways. He is likely doing his due diligence. 

The fact is, trying to get 3-4 coaches who are great teachers and mentors is not easy. Trying to get 3-4 coaches who will mesh well with each other and the current coaches, as well as be able to put together a solid offense and recruit, and oh by the way, actually want to come to Nebraska right now, is a big time challenge. 

Am I prepared to be underwhelmed, of course. But I at least think Frost is thinking outside the box of guys he's worked with and trying to find guys he can learn from. That's what Saban does. He surrounds himself with the best coaches and tries to learn new things from them all the time. 

I don't know if he'll make the right hires, and even if they're announced tomorrow we won't really know until next fall if they work out. One thing I do know is I'll be following closely and cheering them on, just like most of you suckers. GBR!

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 3
4 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

Leach and TT smoked Bo's vaunted 2009 D in Lincoln.

Yes they smoked us so bad to the point of 259 total yards of offense. They even almost matched our juggernaut high-powered 2009 offense, as we got 285 yards of offense. Look how embarrassing this beatdown was by Leach and TT's smoking offense:

• Plus1 1