New Staff Selection

1 hour ago, Toe said:

Gee, maybe I'm missing something, but from where I'm sitting it sure looks like it's our running game that needs more help, not passing.

We need to win football games. Frost's goal shouldn't be run the ball better, it should be do what needs to be done to win games. If that's 0 rushing yards but we beat Illinois 35-21 - so be it. If that's 0 passes and running the triple option, that's cool with me too. Sounds like you are gonna be disappointed as Anae, Whipple and Harrell all have similar run to pass ratios and they don't look like Wisconsin's...Seems like Frost may feel the path to 8+ wins next year might be via airing it out. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

People are way too caught up with how things look and not the end result. We were losing pretty this year, and for some reason people seemed to enjoy it. Hell, in this thread we have people s#!tting on Harrell for whooping a conf foe, but they didn't rush for any yards. I really don't care who we hire, if Frost wants to ride or die with them for one season, they can save me a spot on that bus. Run for 300 yards a game with Brent Davis, throw for 300 with Harrell, hire Ron Brown as the OC for all I care...doesn't matter just win games. Frost is gonna have to own it if it doesn't work out regardless of who it is. 

x1000

I'm curious how any of the proposed OC's schemes would mesh with what we have and how it will play out.

4 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I think the fact that basically nobody on this board wants Harrell makes me hope they hire him lol

I wasn't a fan of hiring Harrell at first, but the cry assing in this thread is making me root for hiring Harrell just to see the reaction. Plus, I'm now genuinely curious what he bring as a scheme here. Elements of the Air Raid with some RPO and TE's sounds interesting at least.

• Plus1 5
50 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Sounds like you are gonna be disappointed as Anae, Whipple and Harrell all have similar run to pass ratios

I don't really give a s#!t about how often they run the ball so much as I care that they run the ball well. But yes, none of those are likely to be much of an upgrade there. On the other hand, a guy like Korn or Davis might.

Pretty sure Whipple has been out of the picture for a while now, BTW.

2 hours ago, Toe said:

Gee, maybe I'm missing something, but from where I'm sitting it sure looks like it's our running game that needs more help, not passing. And if you want to improve that, maybe it's not such a great idea to hire a guy whose expertise is pretty clearly not in rushing the ball? :dunno

We can hire a running backs coach for that.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

x1000

I'm curious how any of the proposed OC's schemes would mesh with what we have and how it will play out.

I wasn't a fan of hiring Harrell at first, but the cry assing in this thread is making me root for hiring Harrell just to see the reaction. Plus, I'm now genuinely curious what he bring as a scheme here. Elements of the Air Raid with some RPO and TE's sounds interesting at least.

Agreed.  Whomever Frost brings aboard as OC isn't going to implement a new scheme.....they will run Frost's and add some wrinkles.

If the OC can coach quarterbacks and recruit better than what we got from Verduzco, we'll be better off.

3 minutes ago, TheSker said:

We can hire a running backs coach for that.

Actually I dont think we have room for a dedicated RB coach and ST coach.  I'm guessing we will combine them with TE or oline unless we have MJ take TEs. Also I will say that its a league thats definitely easier to run the ball(could say the same thing about Korn or Davis) but USC's top 2 backs rushed for just over 1400 yards this year at over 5 ypc. 

I really don't care who our offensive coordinator is because I think Frost will still have a huge influence on what style we play and what plays are called. But what I really care about is our offensive line coach. I want the best of the best. You have a great offensive line and it makes the entire offense look good no matter if you're a passing team or running team.

For the record, I would be very ok with Graham Harrell as OC/QB.  North Texas was fun to watch for 3 years he was here.  Explosive.  Mason Fine was a great QB running that offense.  I would love it if the Huskers offense became more explosive scoring.  Even 10 more points a game.

I just don't think GH was among the top candidates for HCSF.  I also thought we would find an OC/OL coach.  Which kind of bothered me.  But yeah, who cares really. 

The new OL coach will be very important, and how we handle ST going forward.

• Plus1 1