New Staff Selection

On 12/6/2021 at 4:01 PM, Cobra Kai said:

I'm a bears fan (I know, glutton for punishment) and this guy has turned chicken s@!t into chicken salad.  They're trotting out an LT who is 39 and was fishing when the season started, a LG who was a center (he's solid), an UDFA C who spot started at notre dame, a RG who was a center in college (he's solid), a RT who is a rookie 5th round pick that clearly wasn't ready but was forced into action.

And if you can believe it, their backups aren't good either...aside from Jenkins from okie state...but he's just back from injury and hasn't played.

This guy can coach and improve the oline.   It was a dumpster fire throwing and rushing early.  Now its damn good running and adequate passing...

Their problem is crap playcalling now, not offensive line play.  He'd be a great hire 

We've sort of got a Bears theme going on here. Whipple's Alma Mater is the Brown Bears. Riaola is coming from the Chicago bears. Bill McGovern left to the Bears opening a spot for Busch. As of yet no signs of Yogi or Boo Boo though. :)

• Plus1 1

33 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Beckton moves to RB, GA takes TEs with Joseph.  Hiring a STC - probably Busch.

Reading over Beckton's resume quickly, has he ever coached RB's?  Asking as Held developed nothing.  Would think we'd keep Beckton doing what was the only bright side on the O and keep him at TE's.  Doesn't make much sense at all.  I mean he was the only O coach retained, so let's move him to coach a group he never has.  If true, sh!t show.  RB has been (save Oz) an incredibly underperforming group for all of Frost's tenure.  But I guess in the new scheme, maybe they just need to stay in and block.....

3 minutes ago, lo country said:

Reading over Beckton's resume quickly, has he ever coached RB's?  Asking as Held developed nothing.  Would think we'd keep Beckton doing what was the only bright side on the O and keep him at TE's.  Doesn't make much sense at all.  I mean he was the only O coach retained, so let's move him to coach a group he never has.  If true, sh!t show.  RB has been (save Oz) an incredibly underperforming group for all of Frost's tenure.  But I guess in the new scheme, maybe they just need to stay in and block.....

I just did the same thing with Beckton, and the answer is no.  90% of his coaching career is WR/TE.  He did do DBs for a few years as well.   And this is my biggest concern with him.   I want guys that have experience coaching their position group.   But if moving him to RB is the only way to get a dedicated ST coach, I'm in.

If Beckton is shifting to coach the RB's, I think he will do just fine. The main role of an offensive skill position coach is to make sure his players know their responsibilities each play. College coaches aren't coaching a ton of "technique" to the running backs, other than catching the ball out of the backfield and pass blocking.  Those duties wouldn't be much different from a TE.  I'm not sure if people were concerned when Ron Brown went from a WR coach for most of his career to coaching RB's under Pelini, and he did just fine. Good coaches can do most any position, and Beckton may be the best coach on the offensive side of the ball. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
24 minutes ago, lo country said:

I don't know what all the reasonings are or even if that's what's going to happen.  I've just seen it mentioned as the most likely scenario.

I think the biggest thing is TEs and WRs are pretty similar and not everyone has a TE coach anyway.  But I don't know of anyone that doesn't have a RB coach.  So it's just making the pieces fit.  

Coaches change which position they're coaching all the time.  Chinander started out coaching on the offensive side of the ball.  Dawson went from defense to offense and back.  Frost obviously played offense in college, defense in the NFL then started out coaching defense before moving to offense.  Joseph has coached QBs, RBs and WRs.  It's not nearly as big of a deal as you're making it out to be.

The part where we've struggled to find a stud RB could be seen as a really good reason to move one of our better coaches to that position.  But I think "incredibly underperforming" is overly harsh.  It's mostly been lack of available bodies.  I think we're actually set up pretty well at RB going forward.  Just need to be able to get a guy or two to stay healthy.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
On 12/6/2021 at 4:01 PM, Cobra Kai said:

I'm a bears fan (I know, glutton for punishment) and this guy has turned chicken s@!t into chicken salad.  They're trotting out an LT who is 39 and was fishing when the season started, a LG who was a center (he's solid), an UDFA C who spot started at notre dame, a RG who was a center in college (he's solid), a RT who is a rookie 5th round pick that clearly wasn't ready but was forced into action.

And if you can believe it, their backups aren't good either...aside from Jenkins from okie state...but he's just back from injury and hasn't played.

This guy can coach and improve the oline.   It was a dumpster fire throwing and rushing early.  Now its damn good running and adequate passing...

Their problem is crap playcalling now, not offensive line play.  He'd be a great hire 

Actually, he's an assistant to the O-Line coach.  You know, help the guys with the playbook and curfews, run to Starbucks for the starters, and always says "yes" to the OL coach.  Sure, he might become good as a line coach, but let's not put him in the hall of fame just yet.  Coach Greg Austin had a way more impressive resume, ya know I mean?