New Staff Selection

4 minutes ago, admo said:

Actually, he's an assistant to the O-Line coach.  You know, help the guys with the playbook and curfews, run to Starbucks for the starters, and always says "yes" to the OL coach.  Sure, he might become good as a line coach, but let's not put him in the hall of fame just yet.  Coach Greg Austin had a way more impressive resume, ya know I mean?

Ok

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Amazing :unsure:  The biggest issues we have is with Special Teams and Offensive Line.  Just kind of wish we would address it with serious hires.

Nothing against Raiola because I want it to work out for him and the team.  But you got to wonder what's going on?  There really isn't a better, more polished and experienced OL coach in the P5 college football landscape?

Just now, admo said:

Amazing :unsure:  The biggest issues we have is with Special Teams and Offensive Line.  Just kind of wish we would address it with serious hires.

Nothing against Raiola because I want it to work out for him and the team.  But you got to wonder what's going on?  There really isn't a better, more polished and experienced OL coach in the P5 college football landscape?

Sounds like John Garrison had interest in the job but who knows if that was reciprocated at all

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, PattyG said:

Bill Busch STC/Recruiting coordinator?

This is what it's sounding like with Joseph, Whipple, and either Quinn or Or Donovan which I think it will be Quinn. I love it. Pretty stunned actually Frost brought in some good guys around him, experience, former head coaches a plus, and guys that I think can recruit maybe even brings guys over and the ability to teach. Gotta feel good right now as a husker fan

*Correction looking like it will be Donovan

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, ndobney said:

This is what it's sounding like with Joseph, Whipple, and either Quinn or Or Donovan which I think it will be Quinn. I love it. Pretty stunned actually Frost brought in some good guys around him, experience, former head coaches a plus, and guys that I think can recruit maybe even brings guys over and the ability to teach. Gotta feel good right now as a husker fan

*Correction looking like it will be Donovan

I’m getting the sense that frost will have more than 1 year if he doesn’t completely fall apart next year 

• Haha 1

He has blown up his staff and has turned the roster inside out and replaced about 90% of it.  Even after 4 years, it’s still very imbalanced.  The team can’t get better if Frost doesn’t both gather raw talent and then, over time, make them into experienced, veteran players. This is the most disturbing thing.  After 4 years of losing, we aren’t building the three deep chart with talent and game reps.  
I would be curious to see a snap / play participation chart for the true and R frosh and true sophs.  And then a list of roster turnover.  It seems like in 4 years we should normally turn about 30 annually 150 / 5 hrs = 30 x 4.  But I’m guessing it’s 200.!!  

Is it possible Frost has so many players, that he and the staff are spreading their time too thinly and not getting enough individual time to mentor, coach, encourage, train and teach each?    Guys probably don’t feel like a name, just a number (duplicate in fact) ?  And now we are reshuffling staff.  
Continuity is generally a good thing.  So much turmoil, instability, Covid shutdowns, etc.  

I would not be surprised with all the chaos and revolving doors, guys hardly have time to make good friendships and get to know campus, much less Lincoln and Nebraska. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

He has blown up his staff and has turned the roster inside out and replaced about 90% of it.  Even after 4 years, it’s still very imbalanced.  The team can’t get better if Frost doesn’t both gather raw talent and then, over time, make them into experienced, veteran players. This is the most disturbing thing.  After 4 years of losing, we aren’t building the three deep chart with talent and game reps.  
I would be curious to see a snap / play participation chart for the true and R frosh and true sophs.  And then a list of roster turnover.  It seems like in 4 years we should normally turn about 30 annually 150 / 5 hrs = 30 x 4.  But I’m guessing it’s 200.!!  

Is it possible Frost has so many players, that he and the staff are spreading their time too thinly and not getting enough individual time to mentor, coach, encourage, train and teach each?    Guys probably don’t feel like a name, just a number (duplicate in fact) ?  And now we are reshuffling staff.  
Continuity is generally a good thing.  So much turmoil, instability, Covid shutdowns, etc.  

I would not be surprised with all the chaos and revolving doors, guys hardly have time to make good friendships and get to know campus, much less Lincoln and Nebraska. 

:facepalm:

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, Mavric said:

I don't know what all the reasonings are or even if that's what's going to happen.  I've just seen it mentioned as the most likely scenario.

I think the biggest thing is TEs and WRs are pretty similar and not everyone has a TE coach anyway.  But I don't know of anyone that doesn't have a RB coach.  So it's just making the pieces fit.  

Coaches change which position they're coaching all the time.  Chinander started out coaching on the offensive side of the ball.  Dawson went from defense to offense and back.  Frost obviously played offense in college, defense in the NFL then started out coaching defense before moving to offense.  Joseph has coached QBs, RBs and WRs.  It's not nearly as big of a deal as you're making it out to be.

The part where we've struggled to find a stud RB could be seen as a really good reason to move one of our better coaches to that position.  But I think "incredibly underperforming" is overly harsh.  It's mostly been lack of available bodies.  I think we're actually set up pretty well at RB going forward.  Just need to be able to get a guy or two to stay healthy.

What makes the most sense is not having Dawson, Chins take over OLB and Busch does your ST and RC. 

• Plus1 1