New Staff Selection

6 hours ago, admo said:

Amazing :unsure:  The biggest issues we have is with Special Teams and Offensive Line.  Just kind of wish we would address it with serious hires.

Nothing against Raiola because I want it to work out for him and the team.  But you got to wonder what's going on?  There really isn't a better, more polished and experienced OL coach in the P5 college football landscape?

Yes Raiola is a big question mark.  He could wind up being great.  Could be a complete flop.  We just don't know.  A curious hire indeed.

I feel like Whipple and Joseph are the class of assistant coaches Frost should have hired in the first place.  If he can do it when his job security is as precarious as it is he could have done it when he was the toast of the town.

Maybe it'll be enough to save his keister at this point but it's not a sure thing.  One way or another I hope we can keep MJ on board.

I'm sure we'll send Whipple off with a nice retirement package in a year or 2.  Obviously not a long term answer. 

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Yes Raiola is a big question mark.  He could wind up being great.  Could be a complete bust.  We just don't know.

I feel like Whipple and Joseph are the class of assistant coaches Frost should have hired in the first place.

Maybe it'll be enough to save his keister at this point but it's not a sure thing.  One way or another I hope we can keep MJ on board.

Yeah MJ is the level of assistant that if we go a different direction for HC you keep him here. 

• Plus1 1

15 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

His title is WR Coach, Associate Head Coach and Passing Game Coordinator

Where has that been reported? 

OK, posting this so I can prove I'm not totally losing my mind.

https://247sports.com/college/lsu/Article/LSU-Coaching-Search-Mickey-Joseph-finalizing-deal-to-return-to-Nebraska-177129471/

LSU wide receivers coach and assistant head coach Mickey Joseph agreed to a deal to return to his alma mater, Nebraska, according to Football Scoop on Thursday night. Cornhuskers head coach Scott Frost landed the New Orleans native as wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator.

Before the official announcement, it was speculated that he would be Recruiting Coordinator.  That's where I got that from.

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Any hints yet on the money involved in these hires and fires beyond Frost giving his $1M.  I’m thinking he ought to pay for the buyouts and pay increases out of his $, as far as it goes.  He’s doing all this.  

Whipple was making just north of $500k at Pitt so it seems reasonable that he'd be making $750k+, I think Joseph's deal is north of $600k.

1 hour ago, Jeremy said:

Welp. Pass the Ball Guy is happy. Even though we have an offensive line that gave up 29 sacks and no QB to throw these NFL routes. 

Sigh.

With a completely green O-line coach tasked to fix the offensive line in one offseason.

Maybe the goal is to take enough sacks to pretend we're a "run heavy" team instead of just a "balanced" team.

• Plus1 1