New Staff Selection

1 minute ago, Gorillahawk said:

This is the approach Frost should take. Emphasis on should

I don't want a special teams by committee, I'm guessing that's basically what we used this last year and it didn't work. We need a dedicated special teams coach and we needed last year not a defensive coach that got a shiny special teams button for coming back to the huskers.

• Plus1 1

Special teams is such a raging dumpster fire at this point, coaching by committee (which we already have done) isn't going to pull it out of its tailspin. 

Get a Special Teams coordinator in here to fix the mess. There's a LOT broken with Special Teams that needs to be repaired. Once you have it back on track after a few seasons, and the Special Teams coordinator wants to move on, THEN you can look to get another offensive position coach and go back to Special Teams by committee. 

• Plus1 3

4 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

The way I see it is we have 2 options:

1)  dedicated special teams coach

2)  not

I'm fine with either.

Yep.  And we've tried both with poor results.

But people like to insist if something would just be done how they want it to be done everything would instantly be fixed.

Just like when we hired Riley.  Our offense was going to be so much better because we used fullbacks.  And our defense was going to be so much better because it was more simple.  And had a dedicated special teams coach.

Edited by Mavric
  • Plus1 3
Just now, Mavric said:

But people like to insist if something would just be done how they want it to be done everything would instantly be fixed.

Just like when we hired Riley.  Our offense was going to be so much better because we used fullbacks.  And our defense was going to be so much better because it was more simple.

261 days and counting, each one sure to be brimming with simple, almost too-good-to-be-true fixes that are sure to turn our fortunes.

• Plus1 1

Gotta say, I'm pretty satisfied with these hires given the circumstances.  With Joseph, he's got a guy that just might salvage some of this recruiting class at the 11th hour, and Whipple may deliver a transfer QB or two.  With the OC hire, Frost didn't just go find another buddy that he's comfortable working with.  He found a guy with pedigree and is going to largely hand the offense over to him.  This is how you hire when you want your program to succeed as a first priority.

All that to say, I have no idea how this is going to turn out.

• Plus1 2

It was very controversial last time we had a dedicated special teams coordinator.   It's funny to me that so many people suddenly think it's necessary and not at all a waste of resources for a guy who is going to coach 30 minutes a day.

I don't know if Frost thinks it's necessary since he thinks special teams has vastly improved. 

19 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Just like when we hired Riley.  Our offense was going to be so much better because we used fullbacks.  And our defense was going to be so much better because it was more simple.  And had a dedicated special teams coach.

Just now, The Dude said:

It was very controversial last time we had a dedicated special teams coordinator.   It's funny to me that so many people suddenly think it's necessary and not at all a waste of resources for a guy who is going to coach 30 minutes a day.

I don't know if Frost thinks it's necessary since he thinks special teams has vastly improved. 

I hear what you two are saying, my thinking is it just needs to be of more importance, however you coach it, coordinator or not.  It's losing us games, we're almost dead last in the country. Put more emphasis on it.