New Staff Selection

19 hours ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Has anyone considered the possibility of Frost coaching RBs?

The easiest area to improve our W-L is through ST play.  It can be improved regardless of new scheme/technique. It just needs to be coached.  As shown above, Frost and Co have and continue to use ST's as way to reward walk-ons and back ups with playing time. That's gotta change.  I'd really like Busch.  Great recruiter AND if filks will look at his record at NU as a ST coordinator and safety coach, it's actually pretty impressive.  He gets grief for working under Cally.  

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

53 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

I don't know the general consensus, but I for one don't think we actually got the guys we set out to get for assistants.  I see these hires as 2nd best if that.  Whipple might be ok, but don't see any kind of wow factor in him.  Raiola, seems like were just recruiting his nephew to be our QB someday.  The only hire so far that makes sense is Joseph.  So far I would grade these hires as a C-.  Mickey Joseph is an A+, but the others are well below what I think most expectations would have been.  When I heard that we were interviewing both Harrell and Whipple this weekend in Arizona, I realized Frost and Co struck out on others.  Prove otherwise and I might listen!  I think we are in for a truly disappointing 2022 season.  I think we see more leave and we might not reach the level we are at right now.  Trying to remain positive, but just not seeing anything that says we are going to be great next season with these hires.  I think Mickey can bring in talent, but that talent better be Big 10 ready, otherwise we are in for another 3-9 or 4-8 season.

I’m dying to hear who you wanted as your #1 choices across the board. 

57 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

I don't know the general consensus, but I for one don't think we actually got the guys we set out to get for assistants.  I see these hires as 2nd best if that.  Whipple might be ok, but don't see any kind of wow factor in him.  Raiola, seems like were just recruiting his nephew to be our QB someday.  The only hire so far that makes sense is Joseph.  So far I would grade these hires as a C-.  Mickey Joseph is an A+, but the others are well below what I think most expectations would have been.  When I heard that we were interviewing both Harrell and Whipple this weekend in Arizona, I realized Frost and Co struck out on others.  Prove otherwise and I might listen!  I think we are in for a truly disappointing 2022 season.  I think we see more leave and we might not reach the level we are at right now.  Trying to remain positive, but just not seeing anything that says we are going to be great next season with these hires.  I think Mickey can bring in talent, but that talent better be Big 10 ready, otherwise we are in for another 3-9 or 4-8 season.

Disprove my claim which I haven't proved and I'll listen! You may ultimately be right but I don't think we have any reason to be too down about our new coaches. Time will tell and we'll likely know nine months from now.

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Welp. Pass the Ball Guy is happy. Even though we have an offensive line that gave up 29 sacks and no QB to throw these NFL routes. 

Sigh.

You mean these NFL routes

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.instagram.com%2Freel%2FCW1LeSEFJov%2F&h=AT3MMJpvnM_75tgdzNueaX6jkzd7NkXXUGaWMrOnrlkVPKxmYKO6z2vWr8QzG9hj5EtRzjUuWdyq-GAavT4mOQDP_zHU766p7HvgguUJouL1l-GNLj1CUSdxNZ-m&s=1&fs=e&s=cl

2 hours ago, lo country said:

The easiest area to improve our W-L is through ST play.  It can be improved regardless of new scheme/technique. It just needs to be coached.  As shown above, Frost and Co have and continue to use ST's as way to reward walk-ons and back ups with playing time. That's gotta change.  I'd really like Busch.  Great recruiter AND if filks will look at his record at NU as a ST coordinator and safety coach, it's actually pretty impressive.  He gets grief for working under Cally.  

After last year, I'd definitely like to see someone working specifically with ST. Busch would be fine. Can't make big strides until you fix the little things. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

I honestly don't know what some people were expecting. You have a HC whose seat is smoldering right now, who stands a pretty decent chance of being let go after one more year, and yet he still managed to bring in an elite recruiter and a guy whose QB is currently in NY for the Heisman ceremony. Not to mention a new OL coach, who, if we play our cards right, could lead to an elite QB commit. I have higher standards than anyone in regards to this team and get razzed quite a bit for it, but even I am satisfied with the hires.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 2

7 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

Don't understand why folks want to move beckton if he produced an all conference TE.

He's good!

It's like asking a chief to cook your favorite dish. It's because you know he's capable, you respect his talent and you want to taste what you believe he could do. He's trusted, a person one has confidence in. Now, he's gotta be wanting to do it and it's a legitimate choice. If the guy says, you know, Italian isn't my specialty. My specialty is French or, he's a traditional steak and shrimp sort of guy. Let him decide. 

People are just looking for ways for good things to happen. Maybe the ideas aren't workable, maybe they are. It's just brainstorming, throwing ideas around. Things evolve out of discussion, the sharing of perspective. Big and small contributions counting.  

We've all presented ideas and then someone crosses their arms and says "That'll never work" or, "That's a stupid idea". It's good to have curiosity. Nothing ventured, nothing discovered. 

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Especially when I think I saw where Whipple likes using tight ends in his passing game. 

This from the an article in March 2021:

Pitt’s tight ends combined for 10 catches for 100 yards over 11 games last season. In the ACC alone, four tight ends had 100-plus yards in a single game. Down in the SEC, Florida’s Kyle Pitts had three 100-yard performances.

BUT, when they got Lucas Krull in the transfer portal in 2021 he had 37 catches for for 443 yards and 6 TD's.

AA-38 receptions for 602 yards and 2 TD's

Looks like he uses the guys he has.  Also seemed to improve their rushing game in 2021.  

Dude isn't my fave pick, but he is better than anything Frost has had since he's been here.  I'd really like to see an NU offense that is a Frost free OC.  Just one guy making the calls.

• Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, lo country said:

AND HAS NEVER COACHED RUNNING BACKS.  Nor played that position.

You are making way too much about Beckton never playing or coaching that position before. RB probably requires the least amount of "coaching" of any position on the team.  Now I could argue that Beckton's coaching ability might be "wasted" on RB, but he would do just fine in that job. Beckton's development of the tight ends at NU have been great under his watch, even if they have been underutilized under Frost. If Frost wants the RB's to improve, I would put my best coach in that position, and that's Beckton IMO. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, lo country said:

This from the an article in March 2021:

Pitt’s tight ends combined for 10 catches for 100 yards over 11 games last season. In the ACC alone, four tight ends had 100-plus yards in a single game. Down in the SEC, Florida’s Kyle Pitts had three 100-yard performances.

BUT, when they got Lucas Krull in the transfer portal in 2021 he had 37 catches for for 443 yards and 6 TD's.

AA-38 receptions for 602 yards and 2 TD's

Looks like he uses the guys he has.  Also seemed to improve their rushing game in 2021.  

Dude isn't my fave pick, but he is better than anything Frost has had since he's been here.  I'd really like to see an NU offense that is a Frost free OC.  Just one guy making the calls.

Tight Ends we’re third and fourth on the team in catches on the year.

Like you said Whipple coaches to what he has and to me that’s a huge breath of fresh air from what we’ve had.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1