New Staff Selection

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You are making way too much about Beckton never playing or coaching that position before. RB probably requires the least amount of "coaching" of any position on the team.  Now I could argue that Beckton's coaching ability might be "wasted" on RB, but he would do just fine in that job. Beckton's development of the tight ends at NU have been great under his watch, even if they have been underutilized under Frost. If Frost wants the RB's to improve, I would put my best coach in that position, and that's Beckton IMO. 

I just don't see how a great coach one position translates to another position he has never coached or been associated with.  Honest question, if RB is so easy to coach, why have ours performed so poorly the past 3 years?  Poor OL play?  Poor play calling or just poor development.  If true, was Beckton consulted about this move?  You are kept on staff, after developing the best TE in the B1G and now going to coach RB's.  

A great guitar teacher is not going to make a great flute teacher.  Or an airplane pilot a helicopter pilot.  Or even a great english teacher translating to a great social studies teacher.  

There's a saying that's relevant.  Stay in your lane.  Meaning go with what you know.  With a complete O staff change, I would try to keep something constant.  Have at least on position solidified to ensure some "continuity or operations".  

9 minutes ago, huskerfan99 said:

Tight Ends we’re third and fourth on the team in catches on the year.

Like you said Whipple coaches to what he has and to me that’s a huge breath of fresh air from what we’ve had.

The more I read, I think he will do well.  I am hoping that even without a QB the calibre of Pickett, he can make something work.  I'd like a guy who is known as a coach who put's an emphasis on a running game, but win pretty or ugly, just win.  If we could defy odds and win 9 one score games by a last second TD pass from the 1yard line or a hail Mary for 99 yards, I'd be happy.  Not pass the damn ball guy happy, but the I can't believe we are winning guy happy.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, lo country said:

I just don't see how a great coach one position translates to another position he has never coached or been associated with.  Honest question, if RB is so easy to coach, why have ours performed so poorly the past 3 years?  Poor OL play?  Poor play calling or just poor development.  If true, was Beckton consulted about this move?  You are kept on staff, after developing the best TE in the B1G and now going to coach RB's.  

A great guitar teacher is not going to make a great flute teacher.  Or an airplane pilot a helicopter pilot.  Or even a great english teacher translating to a great social studies teacher.  

There's a saying that's relevant.  Stay in your lane.  Meaning go with what you know.  With a complete O staff change, I would try to keep something constant.  Have at least on position solidified to ensure some "continuity or operations".  

I have no idea what the other positions or the rest of the staff will look like, but I think you are making way too much about Beckton not being able to be a good RB coach. I think the previous RB coach struggled because he may have not a been a very good coach overall. IMO, Beckton is a good coach. Your comparison of different musical instruments isn't the same thing as different positions of a football team. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, lo country said:

I think it’s more about teaching and relating to the players than it is depth of experience on technical matters. A good coach can probably handle any position. It’s not like they won’t know what they need to get the players to do. Sure there may be some technique things but I think its a lot more important that they can deliver the message and are successful getting the players to respond.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

I think it’s more about teaching and relating to the players than it is depth of experience on technical matters. A good coach can probably handle any position. It’s not like they won’t know what they need to get the players to do. Sure there may be some technique things but I think its a lot more important that they can deliver the message and are successful getting the players to respond.

Very well said. 

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, lo country said:

I just don't see how a great coach one position translates to another position he has never coached or been associated with.

Ron Brown coached receivers and tight ends for like 18 years before becoming the RB coach and producing Burkhead, Abdullah, Braylon Heard and Aaron Green.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Ron Brown coached receivers and tight ends for like 18 years before becoming the RB coach and producing Burkhead, Abdullah, Braylon Heard and Aaron Green.

Is he the exception or the rule.  Just saying in a make or break year, we have a ton of change going on, I'd think keeping the one coach, who showed the ability to develop, who had arguably the best TE in the B1G would be kept where he was to add continuity.  Maybe it works out.  Maybe we suck again.  Won't know til next season kicks off.  Hoping the changes work. 

• Fire 1

10 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You are making way too much about Beckton never playing or coaching that position before. RB probably requires the least amount of "coaching" of any position on the team.  Now I could argue that Beckton's coaching ability might be "wasted" on RB, but he would do just fine in that job. Beckton's development of the tight ends at NU have been great under his watch, even if they have been underutilized under Frost. If Frost wants the RB's to improve, I would put my best coach in that position, and that's Beckton IMO. 

I don't agree with the idea that a good coach can just step into any position group and do well.  For instance, I wouldn't expect Joseph to be a really good O line coach.  The difference between WR and O line is just so different and a coach really needs to know technique to teach for each position.  There's a reason why our RBs have struggled.  Some of that is the O line.  But, a lot of it was simply that they weren't getting good coaching.  Brown has proven he can coach the position.  So, in my opinion, he would be a much better choice than Beckton who hasn't.  

I also don't want the TE position to be messed with.  We have had good recruiting there along with good production.  We are also going to a a system that is more reliant on the passing game.  Why take your most proven coach out of a position group that could greatly affect the ability of that group to be productive in the passing game?

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, lo country said:

If you want an example of a good coach being able to move to a different position group that he never coached, look at Ron Brown.   Coached years under TO and Frank as a WR/TE coach.  Came back with Pelini and coached TEs for a few years.  Then switched to RBs and seemed to do all right.   It's not as big of an adjustment as you are making it out to be.  And with Beckton being one of our best coaches, lets put him in charge of guys who will get more touches and will be more critical to the success of offense than TEs.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
49 minutes ago, sho said:

If you want an example of a good coach being able to move to a different position group that he never coached, look at Ron Brown.   Coached years under TO and Frank as a WR/TE coach.  Came back with Pelini and coached TEs for a few years.  Then switched to RBs and seemed to do all right.   It's not as big of an adjustment as you are making it out to be.  And with Beckton being one of our best coaches, lets put him in charge of guys who will get more touches and will be more critical to the success of offense than TEs.

Great TEs are vips to a successful offense, whether run or pass focused. Those TEs can give an offense critical, game breaking plays.  Frost used them but should have thrown about twice as many balls to TEs. I expect he will try this coming season to do so if he hangs on to Fidone etal.  Becton is a valuable coach. He could add duties I’m sure.  Maybe he could handle RBs too but they do have quite different skills and roles.  

Here's one man's opinion on Nebraska's coaching moves.

I would say we're at least one/two pieces on the O Line away from this, and probably a good RB from the portal as well. But the takeaway is that people unrelated to the program think we're making moves in the right direction. So that's nice.

• Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 5