New Staff Selection

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would be very surprised if that speculation is true. 

I don’t see Tuioti as being someone that would be recruiting all season for his next job. 

It is kind of funny that he told Tuioti no and he is still going to be coached by Tuioti though. Maybe he legit liked the other coach better and now hes like what the hell haha 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would be very surprised if that speculation is true. 

I don’t see Tuioti as being someone that would be recruiting all season for his next job

Just an FYI, I didn't state or say that in bold.  I simply stated that I would be curious when the interview came in.  We seemed to have him on the hook leaning our way, then he signed with Oregon.  When did that interview get done?  I don't know.  It sounds like we had him and then a call came in to interview and then the kid signs with Oregon.  It's just interesting to me.  In no way would I say or am I implying that Tuioti was working the whole season to find his next gig.  A new coach just got hired 8 days prior and he got a call some time in that 8 day period when the kid was [as it sounds] started to lean our way and then we seemed surprised we didn't get him.  What changed within all that?  I don't know.  Sounds interesting to me.  No butthurt at all here at all nor any claim for speculation to anything done or being done wrong by Tuioti during the season or even in the last eight days.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I have the bad feeling we'll win 6 or 7 and he'll be retained. All depends on how we finish the season.

I'm not sure it does matter how we finish.  22 schedule is exactly like 21 in that it's much easier the first 6, so there will most likely be a worse second half.  4-2 start and a 2-4 finish gets 6-6. I'm sure that would be enough for them to keep him still.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, runningblind said:

I'm not sure it does matter how we finish.  22 schedule is exactly like 21 in that it's much easier the first 6, so there will most likely be a worse second half.  4-2 start and a 2-4 finish gets 6-6. I'm sure that would be enough for them to keep him still.

Yeah, it all comes down to how we do in our division. Can we be 5-4 or 6-3? 

It's' not like our opponents really change.  The non-con games are just gravy.

3 hours ago, BigRedN said:

Just an FYI, I didn't state or say that in bold.  I simply stated that I would be curious when the interview came in.  We seemed to have him on the hook leaning our way, then he signed with Oregon.  When did that interview get done?  I don't know.  It sounds like we had him and then a call came in to interview and then the kid signs with Oregon.  It's just interesting to me.  In no way would I say or am I implying that Tuioti was working the whole season to find his next gig.  A new coach just got hired 8 days prior and he got a call some time in that 8 day period when the kid was [as it sounds] started to lean our way and then we seemed surprised we didn't get him.  What changed within all that?  I don't know.  Sounds interesting to me.  No butthurt at all here at all nor any claim for speculation to anything done or being done wrong by Tuioti during the season or even in the last eight days.

You’re implying it. 

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, runningblind said:

If we start 5-1 and then go 1-5/2-4 down the stretch, then what? Will that still be hailed as "progress"?

10 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

You’re implying it. 

I just took another paragraph to state my intention.  So, now in your follow-up, I am doing so again.  You are reading into what I said and refusing to hear me, which is okay.  Just pointing out that I took the time to state my intention.  If it is not received then you simply choose to see me and my words in the wrong way [which I get].

5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Sean Callahan posits that Dawson will move to DL but keep the boundary OLB (who is basically a stand-up DE anyway), Chin will take the field OLB.  That frees up a spot for Busch to be the STC and still hire a RB coach (leaving Beckton at TE).

I would think Busch could also help with a defensive position, right?

9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Sean Callahan posits that Dawson will move to DL but keep the boundary OLB (who is basically a stand-up DE anyway), Chin will take the field OLB.  That frees up a spot for Busch to be the STC and still hire a RB coach (leaving Beckton at TE).

I really like this move and it all kind of makes sense now why we didn't hear anything earlier.  Busch should do work on the recruiting trail.  You'd think if Brown was going to be the RB coach that would have been announced so that probably means they are going a different direction.  I really feel that this will be Scott's best staff since he's been here, hopefully it's not too late. 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

If we start 5-1 and then go 1-5/2-4 down the stretch, then what? Will that still be hailed as "progress"?

It most definitely would by the media and lots of fans. We made a bowl game! They probably won't care we weren't remotely competitive in the division in that scenario and probably finished 5th or worse.

9 minutes ago, runningblind said:

It most definitely would by the media and lots of fans. We made a bowl game! They probably won't care we weren't remotely competitive in the division in that scenario and probably finished 5th or worse.

I mean ... you can argue about it's where we should be in year five or not.

But I don't know how anyone can say doubling our win total and making the first bowl game in years is not progress.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1