New Staff Selection

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I mean ... you can argue about it's where we should be in year five or not.

But I don't know how anyone can say doubling our win total and making the first bowl game in years is not progress.

Progress over year 4 most definitely.  The question I had, and that you alluded to, is will the admin and most folks care about the overall body of work through 5 years or simply take 6-6 in year 5 itself as a sign that things should keep going as they have.

It will be interesting.

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

Progress over year 4 most definitely.  The question I had, and that you alluded to, is will the admin and most folks care about the overall body of work through 5 years or simply take 6-6 in year 5 itself as a sign that things should keep going as they have.

It will be interesting.

I would say that it is not just did the team win more games year over year but did Neb win more games vs common opponents, year over year.  In other words, you won’t consider wins and or losses vs teams not on both the 2021 and 2022 slates. 

If you’re going to measure progress or improvement by wins vs losses, you at least need to compare apples to apples.  In conference and in division games give some meaningful measure to compare.  Non-con games not so much.  Ultimately, winning all games is to top goal but firstly, we need to compete for division supremacy to then play for titles etc.  Frost needs to win a majority of his Big Ten games and avoid blowouts or embarrassment by bottom tier programs.  

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

I mean ... you can argue about it's where we should be in year five or not.

But I don't know how anyone can say doubling our win total and making the first bowl game in years is not progress.

I would be in that camp.

A) It's really not arguable that this is not where we should be in year 5. It just isn't. This past season needed to show some progress and it did not. I would say it showed regression and that leads to...

B) Doubling 3 wins to 6 is not really progress. It is simply doubling a pathetic win total that should not have occurred in year 4. I understand that 6 is more than 3 so therefore progress in some sense. But my attitude is to ignore the anemic 3 win year 4 and to pretend, since Frost was retained as if something had improved, that year 4 was the 6 win bare minimum season it should have been.  If you're going to retain a 3-9 coach in year 4 then I think the bar deserves to be set higher.  The way I look at it and considering our much easier schedule in 2022, 7 wins would be the absolute minimum to claim progress. Really it should be 8 or 9 minimum. Maybe that's just me but that's how I can say doubling to 6 is not really progress.

Hopefully they hit the 8 or 9 mark and this discussion is just a waste of time. But my suspicion is that, if they only win 6 and make a bowl, it will be hailed by many (unfortunately probably including Trev) as progress. IMO that is not the sort of "progress" this program needs.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

That still doesn't answer the question of why Frost would wait if he's just going to name Busch as an assistant (or Brown for that matter). Does Frost know that another coach is leaving, maybe?

10 minutes ago, Toe said:

That still doesn't answer the question of why Frost would wait if he's just going to name Busch as an assistant (or Brown for that matter). Does Frost know that another coach is leaving, maybe?

Does it have something to do with his salary being paid by LSU? Perhaps if he becomes an assistant coach then his salary goes way up from an analyst and Nebraska would have to pay more?

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

That's my prediction.

All I know is that without a solid transfer QB we're not going to win 6 next year and none of it will matter. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see us only win 4 next year. Sure we hope to have fixed kicking and punting but without an upgrade at QB and the OL and with what all we have lost on defense will that make the difference? I am not sure

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, MinnwiscowaSker said:

Does it have something to do with his salary being paid by LSU? Perhaps if he becomes an assistant coach then his salary goes way up from an analyst and Nebraska would have to pay more?

Yes he is being paid by LSU up until or through January (I can't remember which).  So there basically riding it out until that is up and then he'll be named a full-time assistant.  

14 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see us only win 4 next year. Sure we hope to have fixed kicking and punting but without an upgrade at QB and the OL and with what all we have lost on defense will that make the difference? I am not sure

If I were Frost I'd be looking to hire the best recruiters I could possibly find, which is why I mentioned guys like Faulk and Orgeron.