New Staff Selection

21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not sure a position coach from the NFL to the same position at a P5 program is really a step down.

Parella might say otherwise :lol:

Salary wise, based on what we paid Held and what Nixon is most likely earning, it doesn’t seem like a step down - could be a step up. 

Step-in play caller of NFL team to college position coach? That I do view as a step down in responsibility. 

Didn’t realize Rhule bargain shopped an NFL staff like Frost did with a P5 staff. Nonetheless, didn’t realize salaries weren’t that much off and more of personal preference of coaching professionals vs kids. 

54 minutes ago, GretnaHusker14 said:

Im not sure it would be a step down per say. I am also not sure what a position coach in the NFL pays like compared to college. I guess time will tell.

Just read that Rhule and Nixon are buddies since HS, makes sense why they’ve been so attached during their coaching years. Also funny considering his son plays for NU and CMC ran his mouth last summer about Frost. 

3 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

Parella might say otherwise :lol:

Salary wise, based on what we paid Held and what Nixon is most likely earning, it doesn’t seem like a step down - could be a step up. 

Step-in play caller of NFL team to college position coach? That I do view as a step down in responsibility. 

Didn’t realize Rhule bargain shopped an NFL staff like Frost did with a P5 staff. Nonetheless, didn’t realize salaries weren’t that much off and more of personal preference of coaching professionals vs kids. 

Heir apparent to an aging Whipple? OC in a year or two?

11 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Heir apparent to an aging Whipple? OC in a year or two?

Could be. But then would make me curious about Joseph’s role as associate or assistant HC. Is that more of a “title” role so NU can be more competitive in salary?

A step down the totem pole to take a couple steps up isn't the worst decision, especially if it means he could coach his son. 

21 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Could be. But then would make me curious about Joseph’s role as associate or assistant HC. Is that more of a “title” role so NU can be more competitive in salary?

A step down the totem pole to take a couple steps up isn't the worst decision, especially if it means he could coach his son. 

Just because Joseph is the associate/assistant HC, doesn't necessarily mean he would be next in line at OC, if Whipple were to be successful and then retire in 1-3 years.  I see Joseph's extra title to mean a couple reasons 1) allows him to have a larger salary (like you mention) and 2) he can help Frost on overall management of the team and roster.  I know Joseph isn't the recruiting coordinator in name, but I would suspect he will take the lead on a lot of recruiting aspects of the team.

• Plus1 1

I don't know if Nebraska could get him, but I'd be at least reaching out to Bernie Parmalee (Urban Meyer's choice of RB Coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars). Those assistants have got to be wondering if they will be retained by whoever it is that the Jags hire to be the next HC. The Jags averaged 4.5 yds per carry this past year, (Tied, with Kansas City, Denver & Dallas, for 7th place in the NFL). He was an NFL running back (for two teams) between 1992 and 2000 and broke into the league as an Undrafted Free Agent. I have the feeling that his 9 year NFL career has some inspirational stories to go with his playing days, and his many NFL coaching stops probably added many more. I think players in the Husker's RB room would definitely be listening to this guy. However, another reason he is a long shot is that he hasn't coached at the college level for a good while. He coached at Notre Dame and joined Charlie Weis' staff at Kansas for a stint 7 years ago - which probably had something to do with the fact that his son was a WR there.

11 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

I don't know if Nebraska could get him, but I'd be at least reaching out to Bernie Parmalee (Urban Meyer's choice of RB Coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars). Those assistants have got to be wondering if they will be retained by whoever it is that the Jags hire to be the next HC. The Jags averaged 4.5 yds per carry this past year, (Tied, with Kansas City, Denver & Dallas, for 7th place in the NFL). He was an NFL running back (for two teams) between 1992 and 2000 and broke into the league as an Undrafted Free Agent. I have the feeling that his 9 year NFL career has some inspirational stories to go with his playing days, and his many NFL coaching stops probably added many more. I think players in the Husker's RB room would definitely be listening to this guy. However, another reason he is a long shot is that he hasn't coached at the college level for a good while. He coached at Notre Dame and joined Charlie Weis' staff at Kansas for a stint 7 years ago - which probably had something to do with the fact that his son was a WR there.

But...Meyer said they were the worst coaching staff he has ever had.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 3