New Staff Selection

11 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

He was at smaller schools up until TCU in 2020. So getting 3 stars isn't terrible. They got a 5-star RB his first year at TCU (Applewhite wasn't listed as the lead recruiter). This year Applewhite was the the lead recruiter for 4-star back Ajay Allen who was committed to TCU but was a decommit after the coaching change. 

How is this an upgrade to Held?

• Fire 1

Held was horrible so even if he is okay I think it would be an upgrade. Kinda lame hire for how long it took. I would rather have Brown than Applewhite. Doesn’t appear he wants to come back though. Probably my least favorite hire. 

Just now, FrantzHardySwag said:

His team's YPC were top 30 his 2 years at TCU. Nebraska hasn't been in the top 30 the last 3 years. IDK if it will be better, but maybe let it play out?

Two of his true freshman in 2020 both ran for over 7.0+ YPC 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Decked said:

Held was horrible so even if he is okay I think it would be an upgrade. Kinda lame hire for how long it took. I would rather have Brown than Applewhite. Doesn’t appear he wants to come back though. Probably my least favorite hire. 

Two of his true freshman in 2020 both ran for over 7.0+ YPC 

Agreed.  I think Applewhite is an upgrade but not by much.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
27 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I understand the hires of Joesph, Whipple, Raiola and Busch.   I am trying to understand the hire of Applewhite.  Can somebody help me understand how Frost landed on him?  Does he have something unique he brings to the table?

I’m guessing frost likes his experience and track record of developing his RBs.

• Fire 1
28 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I understand the hires of Joesph, Whipple, Raiola and Busch.   I am trying to understand the hire of Applewhite.  Can somebody help me understand how Frost landed on him?  Does he have something unique he brings to the table?

Maybe was not the first option? I know Knox's name came up as a strong candidate. With the guy he landed and what he did with his room seems to be better than Held. Held could recruit guys, but couldn't seem to get them game ready/develop.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, huskerfan99 said:

Applewhite’s resume looks decent to me.

Wyoming from 03-08:

Coached 2 of the 3 all-time leading rushers in school history.

UL-Monroe 10-14:

Coached 2 all conference RBs.

Colorado St. 15-19:

Was part of 2 of the top 5 all-time school scoring marks. Coached a second team all conference running back.

TCU 20-21:

Coached 2 freshmen running backs that averaged over 7 yards a carry.

He’s proven he can develop at every stop he’s been at. That’s something we desperately need.

Those 2 backs at TCU averaged over 7 yards a carry again this year and combined for over 1200 yards.  2 years in a row of that high of ypc in a p5 conference is really good. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Yeah I actually like the hire of Applewhite. If he can develop players that can be a real added bonus just as much as landing the 5 stars. Looks like most of his recruits are from Louisiana which I do not mind getting a pipeline into the bayou.

My concern for now the 22 year in a row is the offensive line. We need a oline like Wisconsin and Minnesota, I don't know how Rioala is going to be at recruiting and development but if we can get that improved Nebraska is going to be a big time football school again.  

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Hasn’t Busch been the STs analyst for awhile in Lincoln?   Idk - but I thot so.  He’s been there so if he has the answers, why has he not helped fix things?  Don’t want to be critical as maybe there is a good explanation.  ?

Busch has primarily been a defensive analyst.