New Staff Selection

1 minute ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Are you originally from Omaha?

Born and raised in Omaha.  Graduated from an Omaha high school and went to UNL.  Been living outside of Nebraska for 20+ years, but I still have siblings in Omaha and visit them regularly, and my wife is from Hastings so we go there too.  I also try to stay up to date with the local news and events in Omaha.  I read Omaha.com regularly, and check out the OWH sports podcasts and 1620 regularly.  I think I tend to know the Nebraska area well, despite not living there for 20+ years.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Born and raised in Omaha.  Graduated from an Omaha high school and went to UNL.  Been living outside of Nebraska for 20+ years, but I still have siblings in Omaha and visit them regularly, and my wife is from Hastings so we go there too.  I also try to stay up to date with the local news and events in Omaha.  I read Omaha.com regularly, and check out the OWH sports podcasts and 1620 regularly.  I think I tend to know the Nebraska area well, despite not living there for 20+ years.

Now I know why you are so sensitive on this issue.  Sorry no disrespect, but you are as stubborn on this issue as I am.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Now I know why you are so sensitive on this issue.  Sorry no disrespect, but you are as stubborn on this issue as I am.

Yeah, I am probably being stubborn, but I also don't agree with people just giving off opinions without thinking of the other side .

Where are you originally from and I take it now you live in the south area of Lincoln?

12 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yeah, I am probably being stubborn, but I also don't agree with people just giving off opinions without thinking of the other side .

Where are you originally from and I take it now you live in the south area of Lincoln?

Giving off opinions and negatively classifying an entire community.  That’s the issue I have with him.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

I grew up in small town Nebraska and have lived in West Omaha for the past 15 years.

I feel my Omaha communities that I've lived in are more accepting of new people moving in than my small town ever was.  I also lived in Lincoln for 5 years after graduating from UNK.  Lincoln always felt "stuffy" to me.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I grew up in small town Nebraska and have lived in West Omaha for the past 15 years.

I feel my Omaha communities that I've lived in are more accepting of new people moving in than my small town ever was.  I also lived in Lincoln for 5 years after graduating from UNK.  Lincoln always felt "stuffy" to me.

I have an almost identical situation 

48 minutes ago, funhusker said:

So a community in a more diverse city is actually more accepting and welcoming to new people (who may be "different") than other cities or areas of the state which are more singular in a "way of life"?  Color me shocked.

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

So a community in a more diverse city is actually more accepting and welcoming to new people (who may be "different") than other cities or areas of the state which are more singular in a "way of life"?  Color me shocked.

I think this depends on the city/town and the neighborhood in those communities.  I know small towns in Nebraska with very little diversity and I can see them being very unaccepting.  I also know some with much more diversity and they would probably be more accepting.

I also know neighborhoods in cities that are very UNaccepting.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think this depends on the city/town and the neighborhood in those communities.  I know small towns in Nebraska with very little diversity and I can see them being very unaccepting.  I also know some with much more diversity and they would probably be more accepting.

I also know neighborhoods in cities that are very UNaccepting.

Fair point.  I know it depends on the neighborhoods and areas of the cities, as well.

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Years ago I came to Lincoln from another state (for college) because I liked the football team and saw them on TV a lot.

If I was picking a college today, NU would not make my top 5.

I would imagine for a lot of football recruits it is similar. 

I believe there was a correlation between Alabama winning championships and then their applications and student population increasing. 

• Plus1 1

Why do people act like just cause a kid is from Omaha he is anything at all the same as another? 

If you take a kid from Millard West and a kid from Bryan and stood them back to back and asked them to answer 10 questions about their general daily life and world view, you might wonder if they are even from the same country. Ask a kid from Roncali those same questions and you might wonder if it's a different planet.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Blackshirt316 said:

Why do people act like just cause a kid is from Omaha he is anything at all the same as another? 

If you take a kid from Millard West and a kid from Bryan and stood them back to back and asked them to answer 10 questions about their general daily life and world view, you might wonder if they are even from the same country. Ask a kid from Roncali those same questions and you might wonder if it's a different planet.

careful.... you might be deemed sensitive if you support Omaha in any way.