Jump to content


New Staff Selection


Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

I read this last night and decided to sleep on it.   This morning I'm just lost.  If what SSO is saying is true in his post, it points to a complete s#!t show of coaching on the offensive side of the ball. You wonder why it took so long to cut bait with some of those guys.  

 

You have players not being coached up with instant feedback but rather hoping mistakes will be addressed later, on film á la the Callahan years.  That might work in the NFL but college kids are a different story.

 

You have coaches not wanting to recruit even within the borders of Nebraska. How can a team that has the cards stacked against them in recruiting employee any coaches that aren't into, or aren't any good at, recruiting?   

 

Then you have coaches being buddy buddy with players.  It's like a hodgepodge of the worst mistakes from our previous three or four coaches.  Will this program ever figure it out?

 

The alarming part is all this is was happening on Frost's watch.  His calling card was supposed to be an offense that dominated while the defense held up long enough to get the offense the ball back.  Instead it's been the other way around.  It's just head scratching that Frost allowed this kind of "commitment" to the job to go on while his product was burning down all around him.   He either couldn't see it or wouldn't address it.  Either way it makes me wonder even more about all the little decisions we've all seen from Frost.

 

For all the talk of fixing the culture in the locker room it's sounds like the culture in the coaching offices needed to also be addressed.  Hopefully that happened this fall but is common sense learned or is it innate?

 

I think one of the worst things that happened for Frost's development as a coach was UCF's perfect season. It was a great accomplishment, but it got him thinking that everything they did needed to be replicated exactly. One of those things was the pace of practice and just getting more reps in rather than fixing anything the same day. It's unfortunate that it's taken this long to adjust. 

  • Plus1 4
Link to comment

The sad part about this guys is I have spoken with folks close to the program and heard the same things. Lack of development, lack of in state recruiting, throwing in the towel on recruiting in certain states. Just odd. 
 

With the addition of Joseph, we will snag some good talent from the South. But we gotta win in our own backyard. 

Link to comment
4 hours ago, MinnwiscowaSker said:

Six wins isn’t our dream scenario but it is undeniable progress in the win column which I think we can all agree is the most important progress we want to see. Six is a higher number than anything else in the Frost era. Therefor it is progress. Moving on. 

 

I agree it's progress, for him. I just don't see his ceiling being much higher than 6/7 wins a season. We're just prolonging the inevitable.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

1 hour ago, Savage Husker said:

What type of person who has ties to the program writes anonymous blogs s#!tting on the program? I mean, whether they’re right or wrong about what they disseminate, just seems odd and another sign of dysfunction within an organization. Or it’s just full of s#!t. 

I doubt SSO is aiming to sh!t on the program, but rather call out alarming things he is privy to hearing about.  I’m guessing it’s mostly true information.  It would easily explain 15-29.  

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
12 hours ago, Mavric said:

 

These are two different things, which is what I said in my post.

 

Six wins and a bowl game is undeniable progress.  Now, that might not be that impressive for year five.  But there is no possible way that can be construed as not progress.  It is undeniably better than anything in the last five years.

Ok I see what you're saying.  Yes, it wouldn't be impressive but it would be an improvement for 6 and a bowl

Link to comment
4 hours ago, lo country said:

Over a 4 year span, Frost has one of the worst records in FBS football.  Unsure of "in history", but not many kept after 4 losing seasons.  6 wins and a bowl should have been a 2-3 year benchmark.  Not year 5. He should have been fired.  The only thing I think that prevented that was Trev knew of the potential openings at big name programs and knew it'd be an arms race to hire a good coach, Trev did the renegotiation to save money and to allow Frost to actually see what he could do to either realize this will work or to make sure that not one single fan, regent, admn etc would be in his corner after another losing season.  I still still see 5-7 as the best case scenario next year.  But that's me.  If his name wasn't Frost, he'd have already been gone.  

 

I do think that "wins" has nothing to do if Frost gets another year after 2022 or not.  I'll be interested to see how it all plays out.

I'd like to see 7 wins which would guarantee the first winning season under the staff.  If we win 6, go to a bowl and lose, it puts us at 6-7 and another losing season.

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

I doubt SSO is aiming to sh!t on the program, but rather call out alarming things he is privy to hearing about.  I’m guessing it’s mostly true information.  It would easily explain 15-29.  

Why would a source be feeding an anonymous blogger this information or why would anyone connected to the program anonymously blog about turmoil within the program? 
 

There’s a scab in the AD or connected to the program who is fanning flames to make things difficult on Frost in order to get fan sentiment behind them and part ways. When people are rowing in opposite directions it makes it more challenging and shows no unity. Why do people think PJ Fleck is successful? Because he has a collective buy-in. 


I’m not debating that SSO is incorrect/correct, but it’s been expressed that there is a connection between blogger and AD. I’m saying that this is tabloid news during an offseason for a failing program. Anyone within an organization rooting against a leader is not going to lead to the outcome anyone wants. 
 

This is the tamer version of whoever leaked the “eff the fans” hot mic to Deadspin. I said it when that story broke and it stands today, these anonymous sources within the athletic department are doing more harm than good. 

  • Plus1 3
Link to comment

3 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

I doubt SSO is aiming to sh!t on the program, but rather call out alarming things he is privy to hearing about.  I’m guessing it’s mostly true information.  It would easily explain 15-29.  

 

I would say that the things in that article line up with what we have seen and heard. The recruiting incompetence is probably the most alarming thing I read, and these changes are probably 2 years behind, but Frost is still learning on the job, and tbh I'm pretty encouraged that it seems Frost is willing to make tough decisions to right the ship. This is why I'm still pro Frost - because if he can get this thing headed the right direction, I do feel that he's going to keep adjusting till we're consistently competing for championships year in and year out.

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Savage Husker said:

Why would a source be feeding an anonymous blogger this information or why would anyone connected to the program anonymously blog about turmoil within the program? 
 

There’s a scab in the AD or connected to the program who is fanning flames to make things difficult on Frost in order to get fan sentiment behind them and part ways. When people are rowing in opposite directions it makes it more challenging and shows no unity. Why do people think PJ Fleck is successful? Because he has a collective buy-in. 


I’m not debating that SSO is incorrect/correct, but it’s been expressed that there is a connection between blogger and AD. I’m saying that this is tabloid news during an offseason for a failing program. Anyone within an organization rooting against a leader is not going to lead to the outcome anyone wants. 
 

This is the tamer version of whoever leaked the “eff the fans” hot mic to Deadspin. I said it when that story broke and it stands today, these anonymous sources within the athletic department are doing more harm than good. 

I’m guessing this blogger is somewhat well connected in football circles around Omaha and also to NU.  He reported what he’s learned as the truth. I have no problem with that.  And I’m pro-Frost.  Sometimes it takes uncomfortable truths coming out to help spearhead change.  At the end of the day, HCSF is making some changes to hopefully right the ship.   I think he will.  

  • Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
47 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I’m guessing this blogger is somewhat well connected in football circles around Omaha and also to NU.  He reported what he’s learned as the truth. I have no problem with that.  And I’m pro-Frost.  Sometimes it takes uncomfortable truths coming out to help spearhead change.  At the end of the day, HCSF is making some changes to hopefully right the ship.   I think he will.  

I have no issue with addressing uncomfortable truths, I take issue with the anonymity and close to the program aspect. I completely agree that facing uncomfortable truths are a positive sign. 
 

Frost’s plan to make a move was set in motion when Moos was forced out and Alberts was teamed up with Frost. It was concluded and expedited immediately after Minnesota. The Purdue “redemption” game wasn’t just for AM, but his staff as well - IMO at least. 
 

I think we also agree that issues are being addressed by Frost (at least attempting to) and we both want him to succeed.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.





×
  • Create New...