New Staff Selection

7 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Ok.  I'm not from NE nor live there so I don't follow HS football there.  I know there have been some all time Nebraska football greats that have come from Omaha.  But who was the last great/good player that has come from Omaha, Alex Henery? Are there many others between then and now that have gone to be awesome at some other school and then been drafted and had solid NFL careers?  If not what's all the hubub about omaha recruiting?

Harrison Phillips was slow rolled into accepting Stanford’s offer. And Fant was bungled between Bo and Riley - or his DT coach. 

It is concerning that they can’t get their homegrown talent, but seems overblown. 1 doesn’t qualify who would have gone to mizzou (terrible), another to auburn (meh), and another heading to Oregon who never considered Nebraska. The kid who’s dad played for Nebraska is flipping off the stadium? I have a hard time believing a kid acting like that ever seriously considered NU, maybe I’m wrong. 

Seems more about a winning culture than anything. They’ve picked up Betts, Bretz, Hickman, Henrich, Fidone, and Prochaska. The missed on the other Xavier who ended up at ND. 

20 minutes ago, runningblind said:

There have been a couple notable ones recently who went to other schools:

Noah Fant - Iowa All American TE/Denver Broncos

Harrison Phillips - Stanford All American DL/Buffalo Bills

Fun fact I just learned also was that Austin Ekeler was born in Lincoln.

wouldnt have minded having Bryson Williams on the DL too instead of on Wisconsins....

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Harrison Phillips was slow rolled into accepting Stanford’s offer. And Fant was bungled between Bo and Riley - or his DT coach. 

It is concerning that they can’t get their homegrown talent, but seems overblown. 1 doesn’t qualify who would have gone to mizzou (terrible), another to auburn (meh), and another heading to Oregon who never considered Nebraska. The kid who’s dad played for Nebraska is flipping off the stadium? I have a hard time believing a kid acting like that ever seriously considered NU, maybe I’m wrong. 

Seems more about a winning culture than anything. They’ve picked up Betts, Bretz, Hickman, Henrich, Fidone, and Prochaska. The missed on the other Xavier who ended up at ND. 

I mean I could see coaches crying if they didn't recruit like 20-30 kids who all went to big time programs and did well.  Fant is the only one I could really think of and then recently the kid who went to ND.  Seems like they got a pretty good Omaha representation on the current team with those you have listed so obviously they did something right. 

58 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Ok.  I'm not from NE nor live there so I don't follow HS football there.  I know there have been some all time Nebraska football greats that have come from Omaha.  But who was the last great/good player that has come from Omaha, Alex Henery? Are there many others between then and now that have gone to be awesome at some other school and then been drafted and had solid NFL careers?  If not what's all the hubub about omaha recruiting?

There are a lot of kids who have been from the Omaha area who have had good college careers, without necessarily having gone to the NFL.  Easton Stick was a QB who went to NDSU, won a NC there, and has been a backup with the Chargers for the past few years.  There are others who have had/are having solid careers in the college.  There has been a big boom in talent in Omaha the past few years, with many of those kids going to big-time programs across the country, with little or no interest in Nebraska.  EDIT - Adding Cade Johnson who played at South Dakota State and is now with the Seattle Seahawks.

If you want to know the "hubub" of Omaha recruiting, I would think that it would be smart for NU to recruit a metro area population of over 1 million people, and it's less than an hour from campus.  If NU isn't focusing recruiting there, then NU is doing recruiting wrong.

• Plus1 3

9 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I mean I could see coaches crying if they didn't recruit like 20-30 kids who all went to big time programs and did well.  Fant is the only one I could really think of and then recently the kid who went to ND.  Seems like they got a pretty good Omaha representation on the current team with those you have listed so obviously they did something right. 

(If)You know how sales is, “what have you done for me lately.”

17 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

There are a lot of kids who have been from the Omaha area who have had good college careers, without necessarily having gone to the NFL.  Easton Stick was a QB who went to NDSU, won a NC there, and has been a backup with the Chargers for the past few years.  There are others who have had/are having solid careers in the college.  There has been a big boom in talent in Omaha the past few years, with many of those kids going to big-time programs across the country, with little or no interest in Nebraska.

If you want to know the "hubub" of Omaha recruiting, I would think that it would be smart for NU to recruit a metro area population of over 1 million people, and it's less than an hour from campus.  If NU isn't focusing recruiting there, then NU is doing recruiting wrong.

I agree that NU should own recruiting in the Omaha metro area. That area should not be ignored or shortchanged, it’s too easy with built in recruiting advantages. But also, there aren’t all that many game changers coming from there but we should be grabbing the cream of the crop. However I do find it a little annoying that coaches from that area want to demand certain coaches and the head coach be involved like we always hear about. Sure send the A team for A recruits but in a lot of cases they may have more productive places to be. I think this whole Omaha deal has got blown out of proportion due to the area not being recruited properly by some prior staffs.

When you’re winning only 3 or 4 games per year, you’re going to miss on quite a few.  I would assume that factors into Omaha misses just as much or more than any perceived slights in recruiting.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

It was literally impossible for it to happen in the last two years.

Yeah, I understand MJ coming back couldn't have happened. What I meant was the focus on recruiting in Omaha in general by the NU. It makes sick to see the top talent in the state leaving, especially considering the limited number of D1 players that the state is capable of producing in the first place.

1 hour ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Yeah, I understand MJ coming back couldn't have happened. What I meant was the focus on recruiting in Omaha in general by the NU. It makes sick to see the top talent in the state leaving, especially considering the limited number of D1 players that the state is capable of producing in the first place.

I think he may have meant that in- person recruiting was not allowed due to COVID so the staff literally could not go to Omaha, though apparently it didn't stop other coaches...

I agree that the metro recruiting needs to pick up though. 

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

You can blame this on the coaches, but Omaha does not have the same pride for the home state college as other towns.  The coaches made a big deal about Frost not coming there enough and now they're trilled about a position coach stopping.  Hum!

Due to the more diverse that Omaha has, I think "state pride" may not be something that a lot of Omaha kids think about.  The way Omaha is growing, it's not just people originally from Nebraska or graduated from UNL, so that "state pride" or "Love for Dear Old Nebraska U" may not be something that the parents have.  Heck, I am a former Nebraskan and UNL graduate that has spent to 20+ years living outside the state.  My "state pride" has been more tied back to Nebraska, rather than Colorado, Illinois, and Texas (the other states I have lived).  It's not a "bad thing", it's just the way it is.  Frankly, I think it's unfair to the Omaha kids to say "they don't have state pride".

• Plus1 1