New Staff Selection

15 hours ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I'm not so sure that's the case. I'm sure they'll probably get a good coach in there, but prior to Harbaugh, Michigan was pretty average. I have always had a far more favorable view of the job he's done at Michigan. It's just unfortunate that a Michigan coach is judged by how well he did against Ohio State, and it just so happened that he coached at Michigan while Ohio State has been enjoying one of the greatest stretches of football they've ever had.

Yeah they had some stinker years for sure.  After Lloyd Carr retired they hired Rich Rodriguez.  Rich Rod went 31-5 in his last 3 seasons at West Virginia, reaching #2 in BCS, had Alabama sniffing around as their head coach (he denied there was an offer from the Tide). 

He was a slam dunk hire for Michigan...and then...
3-9  (2-6 Big Ten)
5-7 (1-7 Big Ten)
7-6 (3-5 Big Ten)
Outscored 100-24 to Ohio State. 

Brady Hoke got the job, went 11-2, beat Ohio State, won Coach of the year.  But once again, it didn't end well.  

He lasted 4 seasons before getting the boot.
11-2 (6-2 Big Ten)
8-5 (6-2 Big Ten)
7-6 (3-5 Big Ten)
5-7 (3-5 Big Ten)

And then they hired Harbaugh

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

So does that make Guinta the de facto GM of this sports franchise?  As senior director of recruiting that takes some of the responsibility off of the coaches I would think - not to recruit but to manage that whole function. 

Somebody has to write all those checks and or stuff bags with cash NIL bucks.  Or man the printing press for that new money.  That takes a small herd of people in a well organized machine.