New Staff Selection

28 minutes ago, Smithers said:

OC

OL Garrison

WR Joseph

RB Becton ? 

ST Busch 

Have TEs work with WR and OL, and a GA who manages them. 

26 minutes ago, Undone said:

Maybe Beckton takes RB's as well?    :tv

Beckton has done a great job with TE's, it would be odd to have him switch positions.

1 minute ago, GretnaHusker14 said:

My wish list

OC- Willy Korn (Costal Carolina OC)

OL- John Garrison (NC State OL and Former Nebraska OL)

WR- Mickey Joseph (LSU WR)

RB- Beckton/ Ron Brown (Current Staff)

ST-  Papuchis (Florida State, give him assistant DC title)

Who is coaching QB's and TE's then?  That would put us at 10 coaches without QB/TE.

32 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think Bill Busch can get it done if he's named a position coach and can then have direct player contact.

Resource-wise this could wind up being an extremely good move if there's any truth to the rumor of Busch getting the promotion.

And just my opinion but I'm thinking that if Mickey Joseph really does come in and coach WR, the program probably has no real plans of running Air Force's scheme like quite a few fans seem to think is an actual possibility.

I never figured we had much more than a slim chance at running service academy stuff, if I'm one of the people you're referring to; wishful thinking on my part, more than anything. 

However, comma:

There's some twitter smoke about Korn. Apparently he's very recently started following some Husker players and media people...

8 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

There's some twitter smoke about Korn. Apparently he's very recently started following some Husker players and media people...

Yeah. Their offense isn't really that much different than exactly what we did this season. I mean, even Martinez ran a fair bit of option this year. They run their option out of the spread just like ours, unlike Osborne's.

So, Korn would be a fit to keep that going.

Personally I think we will spin our wheels forever with these Taylor Martinez, Tommy Armstrong "run-first, pass-second" types of QBs. The obvious exception is if we started getting the dual threat guys who are actual threats when they throw the ball - like Joe Ganz or McKenzie Milton.

I don't have much confidence about our offense putting any more points on the board next season than this one with either Martinez or Smothers back there.

4 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yeah. Their offense isn't really that much different than exactly what we did this season. I mean, even Martinez ran a fair bit of option this year. They run their option out of the spread, unlike Osborne's.

Personally I think we will spin our wheels forever with these Taylor Martinez, Tommy Armstrong "run-first, pass-second" types of QBs. The obvious exception is if we started getting the dual threat guys who are actual threats when they throw the ball - like Joe Ganz or McKenzie Milton.

I don't have much confidence about our offense putting any more points on the board next season than this one with either Martinez or Smothers back there.

Really comes down to the offensive line. If they can reduce penalties and get a push, lanes open up and we can churn out first downs. No improvement and we’re back to hoping for home runs every drive instead of controlling the clock and game tempo.

• Plus1 1

Yeah. Their offense isn't really that much different than exactly what we did this season. I mean, even Martinez ran a fair bit of option this year. They run their option out of the spread, unlike Osborne's.

You're mostly right, with a few important exceptions. CC used a lot of 21 personnel, with 2 backs beside and/or behind the QB. They do the orbit motion that Frost picked up, but CC primarily runs triple with 2 actual running backs. Personally, I think this would be more effective.

10 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

You're mostly right, with a few important exceptions. CC used a lot of 21 personnel, with 2 backs beside and/or behind the QB. They do the orbit motion that Frost picked up, but CC primarily runs triple with 2 actual running backs. Personally, I think this would be more effective.

Pretty unimportant corrections honestly. As in, using Toure back there in the orbit versus the small ways (and small percentage of plays called per game) in the way they do it doesn't make me go "Holy f****** s***, Willy Korn would change everything!!!!11"

I've said since the announcement of the four firings: I doubt we really change the scheme much from what we've been doing. And any tweaks we make to the scheme probably won't be The Thing that gives us a winning season.

The offensive line is a much, much bigger fish to fry than our scheme. That, and QB play that leads to inopportune turnovers.

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, Undone said:

Pretty unimportant corrections honestly. As in, using Toure back there in the orbit versus the small ways (and small percentage of plays called per game) in the way they do it doesn't make me go "Holy f****** s***, Willy Korn is going to change everything!!!!11"

I've said since the announcement of the four firings: I doubt we really change the scheme much from what we've been doing.

The offensive line is a much, much bigger fish to fry than our scheme. That, and QB play that leads to inopportune turnovers.

Can't argue with any of that. I would posit that if 1)Frost truly hands the reins over to Korn (if he's the guy), and 2)the offensive line is blocking better than they did this year, we'll be running A LOT more option than we have under Frost so far.

5 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

I would posit that if 1)Frost truly hands the reins over to Korn (if he's the guy), and 2)the offensive line is blocking better than they did this year, we'll be running A LOT more option than we have under Frost so far.

Which would bum me out, and would be weird considering that Torres and Haarberg aren't that kind of QB.

You got Smothers. He can do it really well. But if he goes down, then what?

Then it's like the opposite of when Smothers or McNuggets have come in when Martinez is injured; then we have a modified game plan of more of like the "Mack Brown at Texas" spread offense scheme for those games?

Which would bum me out, and would be weird considering that Torres and Haarberg aren't that kind of QB.

Then it's like the opposite of when Smothers or McNuggets have come in when Martinez is injured; then we have a modified game plan of more of like the "Mack Brown at Texas" spread offense scheme for those games?

I think there's enough room in the offense for a QB that isn't quick like Smothers. McCall did a lot to make it go - he's very much a dual threat. Conversely, Coastal's level of play did drop markedly when McCall when down, so you do have a point there.

11 minutes ago, Undone said:

I thought  Haarberg had a decent set of wheels under him? He rushed a lot in high school. 

• Plus1 2