New Staff Selection

9 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

He still has a job and I believe if Kelly wants him he will stay home instead of coming to Nebraska.  He is basically saying I'm committed to the program until otherwise let go.  Not ethics, interviewing to keep his job!

And let's face it, the current program under Frost has not gone well.  We are struggling in the recruiting arena as the promise of Frost's perfect UCF season is long gone.  Many coaches also may not want to work for a coach who has mightily struggled, especially coaches who are already part of a more stable program whose head coach has a greater chance of still being around in 2023.  While I love the idea of getting mainly P5 experienced coaches, the reality is that we may need to settle for some non-P5 guys wanting a chance to prove themselves, or some guys with baggage who had past P5 success mixed with some failures.  Time will tell.  

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Are people surprised this is taking a while or just upset for the sake of being upset? No one should be surprised. Frost has 4 straight losing seasons and just accepted a buyout reduction that could get him fired half way through next season. This was never going to be a quick big name splash hire.

Agreed. The problem is and why people are upset is because it needed to be a quick splash hire and at least one of those requirements has not been met. The longer it takes, chances are it won’t be either one. 

It’s sort of like watching a Husker game. All we can do is wait until the inevitable bad things happen.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

And let's face it, the current program under Frost has not gone well.  We are struggling in the recruiting arena as the promise of Frost's perfect UCF season is long gone.  Many coaches also may not want to work for a coach who has mightily struggled, especially coaches who are already part of a more stable program whose head coach has a greater chance of still being around in 2023.  While I love the idea of getting mainly P5 experienced coaches, the reality is that we may need to settle for some non-P5 guys wanting a chance to prove themselves, or some guys with baggage who had past P5 success mixed with some failures.  Time will tell.  

Agree, plus the fact it might be for 1 year.

20 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

He still has a job and I believe if Kelly wants him he will stay home instead of coming to Nebraska.  He is basically saying I'm committed to the program until otherwise let go.  Not ethics, interviewing to keep his job!

I was referring to Kelly himself and not Joseph.  OU coaches appear to be recruiting for USC while employed by OU also.

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

Agreed. The problem is and why people are upset is because it needed to be a quick splash hire and at least one of those requirements has not been met. The longer it takes, chances are it won’t be either one. 

It’s sort of like watching a Husker game. All we can do is wait until the inevitable bad things happen.

And you knew that several coaches would swarm to other jobs all in the same year.

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

I have no idea who the new coaches will be, but if fans are expecting them to be current p5 coaches with a track record of success and are willing to leave their current jobs to work for a guy in Frost's situation then that's delusional.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Agree, plus the fact it might be for 1 year.

The only thing that can overcome all the current challenges facing the program and the need for a quick turnaround is money.  If Nebraska is willing to do a 2-year guaranteed contract that drastically increases a salary that might be enough to entice someone to take the risk and make the move.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

The only thing that can overcome all the current challenges facing the program and the need for a quick turnaround is money.  If Nebraska is willing to do a 2-year guaranteed contract that drastically increases a salary that might be enough to entice someone to take the risk and make the move.

It will be a 2-3 year guaranteed contract.

I actually was just thinking about this before reading your post.

Let's say Nebraska goes out and pays these coaches similar to what LSU is planning on paying with the two year guarantee you mention.  That could entice a good P5 coach to come to Nebraska instead of staying elsewhere making less.

• Haha 2

This is it right here. It's obviously a tenuous situation for someone to commit, but $$$ talks. We'll see if Trev is willing to open up the checkbooks.

Also I saw Mark Mangino eating a Hyvee yesterday for what it's worth. 

For the OC at least, I don't think it's as bad a situation as people are making it out to be. No, a proven P5 coordinator isn't going to take it but there are talented guys looking for stepping stones. I'm not confident the OC is here long even if Frost saves his job, but you're being handed the keys to a team that was top 25 in yards and yards per play, not particularly turnover prone (1.5 per game), and somehow just 71st in PPG. That's against 4 of the top 14 YPG defenses in the entire country.

There's a foundation of racking up yards, they just need to find a way to turn the yards into more points and they get credit for a massive turnaround. Even if next year is more of the same they will likely having a year of coordinating a good offense on their resume, and can probably blame any shortcomings on the overall situation here. So it is not an opportunity worth bailing on a solid P5 coordinator position for, but I can see the appeal for rising G5 guys. In some cases they're probably looking short term anyway.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

For the OC at least, I don't think it's as bad a situation as people are making it out to be. No, a proven P5 coordinator isn't going to take it but there are talented guys looking for stepping stones. I'm not confident the OC is here long even if Frost saves his job, but you're being handed the keys to a team that was top 25 in yards and yards per play, not particularly turnover prone (1.5 per game), and somehow just 71st in PPG. That's against 4 of the top 14 YPG defenses in the entire country.

There's a foundation of racking up yards, they just need to find a way to turn the yards into more points and they get credit for a massive turnaround. Even if next year is more of the same they will likely having a year of coordinating a good offense on their resume, and can probably blame any shortcomings on the overall situation here. So it is not an opportunity worth bailing on a solid P5 coordinator position for, but I can see the appeal for rising G5 guys. In some cases they're probably looking short term anyway.

Yep.

No question, we need to score more points.  Some fans point to our low points per yards.  We scored 23 points per game in conference play.  It would be great if we would get that over 30.

However, when looking at that stat, you also have to look at the other part of the equation.  When special teams are constantly setting us up to start around our 10 yard line, and you have a team that's successful at moving the ball.  That's a long ways away from the other end zone and it's understandable that we would be racking up more yards per point than a team whose special teams is allowing them to start drives outside their 20.  Or...if their ST is scoring points themselves.  

We had a pretty good TD to redzone trips ratio.  However, most other teams are scoring points also on those trips into the redzone that didn't end up in TDs.

Add all that together, and it spells out that we need drastic improvement on ST that we all know.  Improve that and our O line and we are more successful.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, captain_sasquatch said:

This is it right here. It's obviously a tenuous situation for someone to commit, but $$$ talks. We'll see if Trev is willing to open up the checkbooks.

Also I saw Mark Mangino eating a Hyvee yesterday for what it's worth. 

At the buffet I'm assuming?

On topic:

As has been stated many times, the most important hires are OL coach and ST coordinator. For OC idc if it's Korn or whoever as long as they prioritize running the ball