New Staff Selection

I'm not sure that a "splash hire" is the requirement to have our offense in a place where we can win 7 or more games next year. Even more of an up-and-comer type of guy that's really hungry for success would probably be just fine.

I think Matt Lubick was a good coach, and I think he really was Frost's #1 choice as OC, possibly even from the very start.

But the one thing that could have been going on with Lubick is it sort of seems like he took this gig more as a favor to Frost than anything else. Maybe he just wasn't that passionate about this gig or where it could take it and really giving it 100% after all?

Again, it was never really about his credentials, IMO. His credentials were more than enough to put us where we needed to be.

Point is, even just a younger guy that you haven't heard of but that is completely on board with moving this program forward is probably just as good of a hire as any.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, The Murphinator said:

Don't know anything just throwing this out. Don't know if this would work.

Co-OC/QB coach: Willy Korn

RB Coach: Becton

WR/TE Coach: Mickey Joseph 

Co-OC/OL: Brent Davis

Special Teams: Busch

Liking it too.

Suppose a person could slip Korn into an analyst role if not comfortable him calling plays. His salary could at least be doubled in the position and he'd help to implement the scheme they're doing there. 

Friend of mind is rooting for Graham Harrell. Not sure that quite fits though. :dunno

14 hours ago, M.A. said:

Will there be an announcement within the next 24 HRS??? chuckleshuffle

Korn OC/QB's   *If not Korn, Davis 

Davis OL/Run Game Coordinator   Possibly Riaola, Garrison or Warinner OL *If not Davis 

Joseph WR/TE or WR   Beckton resumes TE role  *If not RB's 

Beckton RB or Ron Brown  *If not Beckton 

Brumfield ST or Bill Busch  *If not Brumfield 

Ciarrocca  (Analyst role?)

Busch  (Continuing as Analyst if not ST's)

28 minutes ago, Undone said:

I'm not sure that a "splash hire" is the requirement to have our offense in a place where we can win 7 or more games next year. Even more of an up-and-comer type of guy that's really hungry for success would probably be just fine.

I think Matt Lubick was a good coach, and I think he really was Frost's #1 choice as OC, possibly even from the very start.

But the one thing that could have been going on with Lubick is it sort of seems like he took this gig more as a favor to Frost than anything else. Maybe he just wasn't that passionate about this gig or where it could take it and really giving it 100% after all?

Again, it was never really about his credentials, IMO. His credentials were more than enough to put us where we needed to be.

Point is, even just a younger guy that you haven't heard of but that is completely on board with moving this program forward is probably just as good of a hire as any.

I don't believe Lubick was any problem on offense.  The scheme he and Frost put together, wasn't the issues on offense and he didn't coach the O line.

If we had Iowa's special teams, there's a chance that most or all of the fired coaches would still have a job.  Ironic since they didn't have anything to do with special teams.  

I'm wondering if Lubick isn't really that disappointed that he's not coaching again and Frost knew that and so he was let go with the rest.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
55 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Can we please get some actual news? C'mon Scott, we can't take this malaise much longer. Throw us the bone.

If you want him to throw you a bone go work at Gate 25. :lol:

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't believe Lubick was any problem on offense.  The scheme he and Frost put together, wasn't the issues on offense and he didn't coach the O line.

If we had Iowa's special teams, there's a chance that most or all of the fired coaches would still have a job.  Ironic since they didn't have anything to do with special teams.  

I'm wondering if Lubick isn't really that disappointed that he's not coaching again and Frost knew that and so he was let go with the rest.

I heard he is in intense negotiations with Wells Fargo and Bank of the West on a multi year deal. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Good post. Your last sentence is what I was saying.

The situation with the offensive line & special teams is bad right now. Like, really bad. I don't have a ton of optimism about the offensive line issues getting fixed by week 1 of next season but I do think special teams are completely fixable.

6 minutes ago, Smithers said:

if this is referring to Morris, I think my time as a fan is over 

Morris doesn't even fit that description, so...

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Talked to Tom Herman today, he said he didn't want to piss off his boss.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3