Anatomy of a Punt Block

Cdog923

Speculation, but it's the offseason.   :)

I'll go out on a limb and bet that part of the problem is that when we do actually practice punts in practice with 11 vs 11, the defense isn't coached on how to block punts and maybe isn't even putting in full effort.

So then the offensive line on the punt team isn't even repped on what they need to do to actually hold a block against decent players that are capable of blocking a punt.

If Bill Busch isn't getting this squared away and/or if Mike Dawson doesn't know how to set things up, bring in a guy that does. It just can't be this damn hard.

• Plus1 3

9 minutes ago, Undone said:

Here's the thing: Fixing the offensive line in one offseason? Not all that easy. Expecting better running back play in one offseason? Not really something you should reasonably expect, probably. Better QB play? Probably depends on if we get a throwing QB out of the portal.

But fixing special teams is absolutely fixable between now and the Ireland trip. That's why I'll lose all confidence in Scott's ability to actually manage and lead this program if he doesn't cook up a plan to actually get the right attention on special teams that it so obviously needs.

I've said it probably a dozen times: it can't be as hard as Frost is making it look, just can't.

If a problem does not exist, it is logical to assume that one is unable to implement a fix.  He simply does not view any of his approach as flawed.  Accordingly, you should not expect any change in the way our team approaches the game in 2022.  

In his view, the problems are the result of bad breaks or poor player performance.  The strategy and schemes are perfect (per 2017 UCF).  Unfortunately for him, this is not the AAC...

4 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

If a problem does not exist, it is logical to assume that one is unable to implement a fix.  He simply does not view any of his approach as flawed.  Accordingly, you should not expect any change in the way our team approaches the game in 2022.  

In his view, the problems are the result of bad breaks or poor player performance.  The strategy and schemes are perfect (per 2017 UCF).  Unfortunately for him, this is not the AAC...

I do think you're right that there's at least some kind of a stubbornness issue with Frost that is evident.

Somebody may argue that his comments about Dawson having made great progress on special teams prior to the Wisconsin game were fair. But then in that game we let them return the opening kickoff for a TD and then we lost the Iowa game on a punt play.

Special teams are not only the biggest problem on the team, they're the easiest one to fix by the start of the 2022 season.

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

I do think you're right that there's at least some kind of a stubbornness issue with Frost that is evident.

Somebody may argue that his comments about Dawson having made great progress on special teams prior to the Wisconsin game were fair. But then in that game we let them return the opening kickoff for a TD and then we lost the Iowa game on a punt play.

Special teams are not only the biggest problem on the team, they're the easiest one to fix by the start of the 2022 season.

I believe it is beyond stubbornness UD.  He "knows" that his system works (because it worked at UCF) and what is that system?  It is one that places greater value and importance on offensive tactics and scoring.  In other words, bury your opponent on the scoreboard and defense and special teams are simply an afterthought.  The problem for him has been that Big Ten teams actually play defense (unlike his time in the PAC-12 or AAC).  

He struck gold this year with the competitiveness of the games in that he had a very experienced defensive unit that could cover many of the flaws that lead to larger margin losses in year's past.  Unfortunately, that will not exist next season so expect to see loss margins on the rise in 2022.  We all know where this is headed...

1 minute ago, All Hail Herbie said:

We all know where this is headed...

There are several possibilities that exist to actually get to 7 wins next season by making good decisions in the offseason.

The litmus test for me on whether or not he gets it is whether Bill Busch gets promoted to an actual ST coach so he can do on-field coaching, or if we bring in a tried and true ST coach for the position.

This is off topic to the thread, but I also think we need a throw-first QB out of the portal. There has to be some kid that got cut from a Texas Tech or a Washington out there that can roughly do what McKenzie Milton did in the quick-decision passing game for UCF in 2017. Just has to be.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Undone said:

There are several possibilities that exist to actually get to 7 wins next season by making good decisions in the offseason.

The litmus test for me on whether or not he gets it is whether Bill Busch gets promoted to an actual ST coach so he can do on-field coaching, or if we bring in a tried and true ST coach for the position.

This is off topic to the thread, but I also think we need a throw-first QB out of the portal. There has to be some kid that got cut from a Texas Tech or a Washington out there that can roughly do what McKenzie Milton did in the quick-decision passing game for UCF in 2017. Just has to be.

I wish you were right, but history shows that we aren't going to get a Milton in Lincoln. Our last decent passer was who, Ganz?

4 minutes ago, Undone said:

Optimism is great, but there are quite a few moving parts in this scenario.  After 4 years, the building blocks should already be in place (personnel, game management, etc.).  If we are counting on a number of external factors that are not even part of the program today to deliver the type of season you are describing, then that is a very tall order indeed.

If fixing the program 4 years ago was akin to climbing Mount Everest, than the scenario above would be akin to scaling Mount Olympus.  Coach "Zeus" aka Frost might need a lightning bolt or two to pull that off.

1 minute ago, Jeremy said:

I wish you were right, but history shows that we aren't going to get a Milton in Lincoln. Our last decent passer was who, Ganz?

NU really hasn't "tried" to recruit a pass first QB very often and let him be QB long enough to succeed.  Just because NU hasn't tried to recruit those guys, doesn't mean they can't get those QB's to come to NU.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

NU really hasn't "tried" to recruit a pass first QB very often and let him be QB long enough to succeed.  Just because NU hasn't tried to recruit those guys, doesn't mean they can't get those QB's to come to NU.

Well, we did try from '04 - '07, and we got Zac Taylor (pretty good, admittedly. Not great.), Harrison Beck (huge bust), Sam Keller (eh), and Joey Ganz. I would agree that another Ganz-level guy would take us pretty far in this type of offense. Maybe Caleb Williams?

4 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Well, we did try from '04 - '07, and we got Zac Taylor (pretty good, admittedly. Not great.), Harrison Beck (huge bust), Sam Keller (eh), and Joey Ganz. I would agree that another Ganz-level guy would take us pretty far in this type of offense. Maybe Caleb Williams?

I think the expansion of 7 on 7 camps nationwide have produced a higher amount of talented passers, and that's growing in the Nebraska area too.  I like QB's who have some running ability, but I am beginning to think that a running QB as a focal point isn't going to work long-term in the Big Ten.

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

And Zac Taylor was also a JUCO transfer.

The guy doesn't even have to be on Ganz's level or on Milton's level. He just needs to be better at reading a defense and making a decision to throw or scramble for five yards faster than the QBs on our roster currently.

And he definitely doesn't have to have the running ability of Martinez or Smothers.

So while we "tried from '04 - '07" as you say, it was in a totally different pro style scheme. Apples & Oranges entirely, in my opinion.

The guy doesn't even have to be on Ganz's level or on Milton's level. He just needs to be better at reading a defense and making a decision to throw or scramble for five yards faster than the QBs on our roster currently.

And he definitely doesn't have to have the running ability of Martinez or Smothers.

So while we "tried from '04 - '07" as you say, it was in a totally different pro style scheme. Apples & Oranges entirely, in my opinion.

And, I have no desire to go back to that type of scheme.

• Plus1 1

Same with the QB recruiting under Riley.  Looking for totally different skill sets.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Same with the QB recruiting under Riley.  Looking for totally different skill sets.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Tanner Farmer and O'Brien. If we're going away from mobile QBs, our running game will need to improve, because we'll definitely need play action to get people open. I've been pretty clear on where I want the offense to go, but if we could get a game-manager like McNamara, we could at least sustain multiple drives a game. That would do wonders overall.