MLB 2022

Mavric

• 3 weeks later...

I was today years old when I learned that second base has always been out of alignment.

As most baseball fans know by now, whenever Major League Baseball wants to experiment with a possible change to the rules, it implements it either in the independent Atlantic League or in the minors. The pitch clock, for example, has been used in the minor leagues since 2015. 

The latest experimental alteration, according to Jayson Stark of The Athletic, is the move of second base, which will move slightly closer to home plate during the 2022 season. From Stark's report:

Sources tell The Athletic that in the second half of this season, baseball will be moving second base inward — so it will be closer to first base and third base, by about 13.5 inches.

The interesting thing about the move of the base is it draws attention to the fact that the bases aren't actually, exactly 90 feet apart. Second base is a bit off and has been for well over a century. 

The easiest way to grasp this is probably via this image, courtesy of the official MLB rulebook (Appendix 2, page 171). The diamond here -- follow the line around the actual base lines and just ignore the "layout at" part -- shows each line segment on the base paths as exactly 90 feet. 

Link

bases-dimensions.jpg

• Plus1 1

https://theathletic.com/3233869/2022/04/07/mlb-hope-meter-ranking-braves-dodgers/

This was a really funny read.  Snippets for some of the HB squad:

Cubs:

Pessimist Adam: I feel like a kid that just ordered a Coke but am getting RC Cola, but I keep getting promised the Coke machine is about to be fixed.

Pessimist Joe: The owners can’t afford to field a playoff team, but can afford to try and play Christian Pulisic out of position?

Pessimist Jeffrey: If the stars align and everything works out as best as it reasonably could, we can become the Bulls of the early 2010s: too good to miss the playoffs, too bad to be a real contender.

Optimist Tyler: A true Cubs fan is a forever optimist. That said, I think making the playoffs would be a good bar to set. And who knows, maybe they are in it, add a couple pieces at the deadline, and make a run in October. See? Forever optimist.

Ms:

Pessimist Paige: We’re still the Mariners. Whatever deal we made with whatever cut-rate devil we made it with in 2001 wasn’t enough to get us sole possession of the regular-season wins record or the pennant.  But we’ve been doomed ever since.

Optimist Evan: Julio Rodriguez will play for 1,000 years and hit baseballs very hard for all 1,000 of them.

Optimist Joe: Longest drought in pro sports. I’ve been burned more times than I care to recall, but ignoring the past and looking at the roster — THIS is the year we break the streak.

Optimist Greg: I’m as optimistic as a fan of a team with more ruptured testicles (5) than playoff appearances (4) can be!

Mets:

Optimist Pete: The Mets needed to buy an airplane. They bought the airline.

Optimist Kevin: Steve Cohen actually went all in. Granted, these are the Mets, so Jacob deGrom and Max Scherzer’s arms could literally fall off, Pete Alonso could be eaten by an actual polar bear, and Francisco Lindor and Jeff McNeil could have an actual giant rat incident and I wouldn’t be shocked.

Optimist Matt: I was 8 years old in 1986, and my uncle said to me, “Don’t get used to this, it doesn’t happen to the Mets very often.” Well, I have been waiting for 36 years now, but adding Max Scherzer, Starling Marte, Mark Canha, Chris Bassitt and Eduardo Escobar to a pretty good core of returning players gives us the best chance of repeating the 1986 magic than I have seen for a long time.

Optimist Matt: If this was OOTP baseball with injuries turned off, I’d say the Mets should be World Series favorites. Unfortunately, our twin aces either missed half the season with vague strains or had a “dead arm” just a few months ago, and our whole lineup either fell off or were injured last year. Also, we are very old.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Down 0-2 in the top of then ninth with two outs and two strikes.

Ground ball to a nine-time Gold Glover .... who throws it away, allowing one run to score.

Double to put men on second and third.

Ground ball to the first baseman, pitcher is late to cover, batter beats the pitcher to first, both runners score - SCORED FROM SECOND ON AN INFIELD HIT!!!

Two run homer.

Win 5-2.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Oh Yeah! 1