Alongside with new staff hires, one thing that needs to happen:

Cdog923

Right. Because a defense that ranked towards the middle in the country in most defensive stat categories and around 75th-80th in 3rd down efficiency just screams elite.

Just because our offense was consistently inept doesn’t make the defense world beaters for playing better.  

Money doesn’t grow on trees and they’re already paid pretty well. Give me a defense that actually forces some turnovers and plays with aggression and you can talk pay raises

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
22 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Chinander and the rest of the defensive staff all deserve raises for the job they did this year. 

12 months ago quite a few people were calling for Chins job.  The staff did do a good job this year but I believe their success had as much to do with a few special players as it did with the coaching.  I'm not sure I would toss around raises everywhere for a 54th total defensive rating.    

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

12 months ago quite a few people were calling for Chins job.  The staff did do a good job this year but I believe their success had as much to do with a few special players as it did with the coaching.  I'm not sure I would toss around raises everywhere for a 54th total defensive rating.    

Were those players special when Chins arrived? No sure how you separate the coaching from those individual players. 

IMO they were better than 54th and got put in bad positions a lot, but in any case Chins will have to earn his money next year. The run D got a lot worse when Daniels and Williams were out, and while I like the corner depth losing CTB will be tough.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

17 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

LOL.... have special players and the coaches don't get credit.  

This defense was middle of the pack statistics wise.  But, as so often stats don't tell the whole story.

How often this year did this defense keep teams in the top 15 below their season average?

Yes, I would love a great pass rush and more turnovers.  But, they did pretty dang well this year.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2

Maybe instead of raises we could pull an Iowa and just hang a banner, “Best defense we’ve seen around here in a few years, only 54th ranked but still much better than the offense. Good job guys!”  and they could put a few :thumbs emojis on there to really make it impressive for potential recruits.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Maybe instead of raises we could pull an Iowa and just hang a banner, “Best defense we’ve seen around here in a few years, only 54th ranked but still much better than the offense. Good job guys!”  and they could put a few :thumbs emojis on there to really make it impressive for potential recruits.

That's gonna be a huge frickin banner 

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Rank in the top 90 in TOs and sacks, and we'll talk.

This is one of my biggest gripes with this defense.  Lack of turnovers.  We don't cause many fumbles because we don't put hats on the ball.  I think Miles Farmer has more INT's in his limited action in two season than Dismuke has his entire career.  Safeties should be turnover machines.  Did our corners have any ints this year??