Austin Allen

14 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I will never understand the mantra that we criminally under utilized Allen.

He set the school record for TE receiving yards in 2021. Allen was 15th for TE receiving yards nationally and 2nd in the B1G. He was 24th for TE receptions nationally and 7th in the B1G. All while playing in only 11 games, most of the top TEs had 12 and even 14 games. He was also 2nd on the team for receptions, receiving yards, and receiving TD behind only Toure. 

Could he have been used a little more (especially in the redzone), sure... But you also had a pretty good WR corp, a QB who could run, and another decent TE in Vokolek. There's only so many touches to go around.

I think the only thing people can stand on when they make that argument is that he was really only a feature target in this season and that maybe should have been featured more in years past.

15 minutes ago, MasterPulverizer said:

I think the only thing people can stand on when they make that argument is that he was really only a feature target in this season and that maybe should have been featured more in years past.

That I won't argue with, but this year I think we did a pretty good job trying to get the ball in his hands.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, MasterPulverizer said:

Those people forget about the Wandale touch quota we had to meet in order to keep him a Husker..... Errr.. wait.

17 hours ago, TheSker said:

Is there any easier job than being a critic?

5 hours ago, ZRod said:

I will never understand the mantra that we criminally under utilized Allen.

He set the school record for TE receiving yards in 2021. Allen was 15th for TE receiving yards nationally and 2nd in the B1G. He was 24th for TE receptions nationally and 7th in the B1G. All while playing in only 11 games, most of the top TEs had 12 and even 14 games. He was also 2nd on the team for receptions, receiving yards, and receiving TD behind only Toure. 

Could he have been used a little more (especially in the redzone), sure... But you also had a pretty good WR corp, a QB who could run, and another decent TE in Vokolek. There's only so many touches to go around.

You guys act as if our receiving records are that legendary in this program, they're not.  We've never been a passing centric progrum for a substantial amount of time and our records pale in comparison to other schools on the receiving end.

And to reiterate- the guy had all of 2 TD grabs this year and 38 receptions.  Thats averaging 3.5 grabs a game and .3 TDs. If you look deeper you can see some games he was a compelte non factor... if you think thats properly utilizing a 6'9 monster of a target, particularly when our actual scoring numbers were abismal, than i dont know what to tell ya, perhaps you should put on your critic hat a bit.

Lastly, @TheSker, careful calling the kettle black.  I'm sure you've had a few posts being a bit critical.  Comes off a bit hypocritical calling ppl out on a message board when I'm sure you've toed the waters yourself, no?

1 hour ago, gossamorharpy said:

You guys act as if our receiving records are that legendary in this program, they're not.  We've never been a passing centric progrum for a substantial amount of time and our records pale in comparison to other schools on the receiving end.

And to reiterate- the guy had all of 2 TD grabs this year and 38 receptions.  Thats averaging 3.5 grabs a game and .3 TDs. If you look deeper you can see some games he was a compelte non factor... if you think thats properly utilizing a 6'9 monster of a target, particularly when our actual scoring numbers were abismal, than i dont know what to tell ya, perhaps you should put on your critic hat a bit.

Lastly, @TheSker, careful calling the kettle black.  I'm sure you've had a few posts being a bit critical.  Comes off a bit hypocritical calling ppl out on a message board when I'm sure you've toed the waters yourself, no?

Yes!  And some of my best critical writing can be found under the topics Harvey Perlman and Mike Riley.

I don't have much criticism for our all B1G TE or how he was used.

• Plus1 1

Maybe look at what others at the position have been doing in the same season at other programs, and what I actually wrote. Or just continue with your diatribe...

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Yes!  And some of my best critical writing can be found under the topics Harvey Perlman and Mike Riley.

Only criticism would be the lack of throwing TDs in the red zone when you have that big a mismatch at TE. Fades or throws to hit the field goal posts with Allen. The Brewington kill someone play worked a lot through the year, but it probably would have worked better if there was something a little different to work off of (like leaking Allen into the back of the End Zone or a throwback).

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, ZRod said:

Maybe look at what others at the position have been doing in the same season at other programs, and what I actually wrote. Or just continue with your diatribe...

I looked at the same stats you did and I will still continue with my diatribe, thank you very much.  I made the point I think he has all the potential in the world and we did him and us a disservice by not featuring him more.  Not quite sure how that is considered being critical... i sincerely hope we learn from it and actually put to use the talents of our next crop of TEs, such as fidone, who has even more upside.  IF we're sitting here 3 years from now and the highlight of fidone is a season with 35ish grabs and 2 TDs all season long I would also classify that as an utter failure and waste of potential.

Given the core reason this progrum has been a total embarrassment for the last 4 years is largely due to offensive f#&% ups, I think its perfectly reasonable to call out the fact we didnt leverage a clear strength on our team as much as we should have. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

Read what i actually posted brah- i have zero criticism of allen- my comment was 100% tied to our head scratching offensive philosophy and our subpar qb we've had at the helm tasked with executing our playbook.  Both of these allen has no control over. 

Read what i actually posted brah- i have zero criticism of allen- my comment was 100% tied to our head scratching offensive philosophy and our subpar qb we've had at the helm tasked with executing our playbook.  Both of these allen has no control over. 

"Brah"?......

I read what you actually posted thus my "or how he was used".

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

This for sure.  Stanley Morgan Jr is the only 1000 yrd receiver in schools history IIRC.  One.  Our red zone could have benefited greatly using AA and Vok.....The O had a lot of issues last year. The main reason we have an all new crew but Beckton.

• Fire 1
  • suh_fan93 changed the title to Austin Allen