Austin Allen

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

In the red zone, I would agree. But, in general, I don’t believe he was this year. 

Yes, primarily the red zone - both TEs actually.   He will do well in the NFL.   That position is a strong point on our offense and really the only real position I have a 'no worries' attitude about. Good reason Frost kept our TE coach.  

3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yes, primarily the red zone - both TEs actually.   He will do well in the NFL.   That position is a strong point on our offense and really the only real position I have a 'no worries' attitude about. Good reason Frost kept our TE coach.  

Watching Allen this year REALLY has me excited for Fidone.  

• Plus1 1

13 hours ago, Caliborn72 said:

No joke, every active conference opponent’s message board on 247 listed stopping Allen as their #1 fear when playing against us. Definition of a first team all conference guy. Excited to see what he can do in the NFL and feel pretty good about the depth and development behind him.

Yet when it mattered most, Frost did not involve him more. There are drives that could have led to game winning scores if he was utilized more. Take the Iowa game for example. They had no answer for him when he was targeted yet Frost underutilized him, especially on last drive. Austin will do great things in the NFL. I can easily see him drafted by the Green Bay Packers who love having guys like Austin Allen. Wish him all the best wherever he ends up. He truly deserves the best. I loved seeing him play at Nebraska. 

• Plus1 2

15 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Watching Allen this year REALLY has me excited for Fidone.  

I'm excited too ... but in a pain-filled way for Fidone.  I can see more of the same happening ... which is a lot of wasted talent.  AA will be a good TE in the NFL and I think we will look back at just how under utilized he was.  I so relate to Scott.  He will figure it out all to late and let his own pride get in the way.

6 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I'm excited too ... but in a pain-filled way for Fidone.  I can see more of the same happening ... which is a lot of wasted talent.  AA will be a good TE in the NFL and I think we will look back at just how under utilized he was.  I so relate to Scott.  He will figure it out all to late and let his own pride get in the way.

The guy was the top tight end in the conference and our second leading receiver. 

Yes, he could have been used more in the red zone. But, I fail to see how he was drastically a wasted talent. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

The guy was the top tight end in the conference and our second leading receiver. 

Yes, he could have been used more in the red zone. But, I fail to see how he was drastically a wasted talent. 

Ya, I get what you are saying/stating.  It's just a word choice for a view in the line of going 3-9 and having a talent like him where if he were used better that just that "one guy" could probably win you a few more games.  Frost talks a lot about being a "play away", or a "player away" ... and then you have players and situations were you need that "play" or "player" and Scott misses this.

Let me take away the word "drastically".  

"Austin Allen was a wasted talent."  I think that statement will stand the test of time.

1 minute ago, BigRedN said:

Ya, I get what you are saying/stating.  It's just a word choice for a view in the line of going 3-9 and having a talent like him where if he were used better that just that "one guy" could probably win you a few more games.  Frost talks a lot about being a "play away", or a "player away" ... and then you have players and situations were you need that "play" or "player" and Scott misses this.

Let me take away the word "drastically".  

"Austin Allen was a wasted talent."  I think that statement will stand the test of time.

I could be wrong.  But, I'm pretty sure Allen was targeted in the end zone a number of times, especially late in the season, and we didn't complete the pass.

Other than that, how should have Scott used him differently to win more games?

• Plus1 1

Just a reminder that coach Frost only calls the plays.  For those arguing Allen was a waste of talent then so was Jack Stoll.  That dude was open a lot and didn't get the ball thrown to him.  Is that Frost not utilizing him or his QB not throwing to open people?  Yeah he can say hey get the ball to Allen but that doesn't change what the QB sees or doesn't see on the field.

• Plus1 1
  • suh_fan93 changed the title to Austin Allen