Austin Allen

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I could be wrong.  But, I'm pretty sure Allen was targeted in the end zone a number of times, especially late in the season, and we didn't complete the pass.

Other than that, how should have Scott used him differently to win more games?

In his four [4] years, he accumulated basically a 1000 yards in about 65 catches.  

Here are his stats:  https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4240787/austin-allen

As a general statement, what I'm getting to is the "lateness" of seeing what he was and then not getting even more out of him.  I think he could have caught 50-60 balls and been close to a 1000 yards in this season.  So, generally, if I had that talent, I would have simply gone more to him and sooner [not differently].  For me, he was more of a "bread & butter" guy.  Since we couldn't establish the run I could have seen him used even more of a threat.  

Perhaps it because we are talking in a forum ... but I'm just getting to the "yearning" for what we had in him but not getting out of him all that he was.  I think it will be seen in the NFL.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Just a reminder that coach Frost only calls the plays.  For those arguing Allen was a waste of talent then so was Jack Stoll.  That dude was open a lot and didn't get the ball thrown to him.  Is that Frost not utilizing him or his QB not throwing to open people?  Yeah he can say hey get the ball to Allen but that doesn't change what the QB sees or doesn't see on the field.

It's all one in the same to me.  Yes, Stoll was a waste as well.  I didn't choose to have AM again and again and again.  It's all part of the same issue for Scott [late to the dance and figuring it out].  My perception is Fidone will end up the same.

It's like having a fantasy football player that is scoring points each week and for whatever reason ... you have him on the bench.  Had he been played and used more often you probably would have won more games.

Hope Scott figures it out and takes advantage of all his support.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

9 minutes ago, UniversalMartin said:

You going to sit here and tell me we used him to the extent we should have?

I know what you are saying, and Allen could/should have been targeted more (especially in the end zone), but college tight ends rarely put up big numbers. They are typically the 3rd or 4th option within offenses. A great season for a college tough end is around 400-500 yards receiving. 

• Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, UniversalMartin said:

You going to sit here and tell me we used him to the extent we should have?

This is what pisses me off about this year. Going into the year we knew we had a NFL caliber TEs, and we were told that they would be used more as a primary read on plays, but we never consistently targeted them, and it's a damn shame.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

This is what pisses me off about this year. Going into the year we knew we had an NFL caliber TEs, and we were told that they be used more as a primary read on plays, but we never consistently targeted them, and it's a damn shame.

Here are my thoughts on potentially why Allen and the other TE's weren't targeted as much as we expected in 2021.

1) Tight ends are most effective in play action passes, but PAP's require longer protection from the offensive line, and we know that was a weak point in 2021.

2) Going into the season NU was going to use a lot of 2 Tight End sets with Allen being used all over the field to exploit mismatches.  However, with Vokalek's injury in the first half of the season, that limited the 2 tight end sets which could be used and Allen had to be used on more traditional TE roles.

3) Passing to the tight end over the middle can sometimes require the pass to be fit into tight windows within coverage. We know that wasn't Martinez's strong suit, and AM was consistently told to limit the turnovers. So, AM might have had an initial read with Allen, but gone off him if Allen wasn't wide open.

4) Teams may have been sliding coverages to Allen early in the season, to force unknown NU receivers to make plays. Toure might have been a big beneficiary of more attention paid to Allen, and was able to find a lot of open spots deep, behind the coverage going to Allen. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Here are my thoughts on potentially why Allen and the other TE's weren't targeted as much as we expected in 2021.

1) Tight ends are most effective in play action passes, but PAP's require longer protection from the offensive line, and we know that was a weak point in 2021.

2) Going into the season NU was going to use a lot of 2 Tight End sets with Allen being used all over the field to exploit mismatches.  However, with Vokalek's injury in the first half of the season, that limited the 2 tight end sets which could be used and Allen had to be used on more traditional TE roles.

3) Passing to the tight end over the middle can sometimes require the pass to be fit into tight windows within coverage. We know that wasn't Martinez's strong suit, and AM was consistently told to limit the turnovers. So, AM might have had an initial read with Allen, but gone off him if Allen wasn't wide open.

4) Teams may have been sliding coverages to Allen early in the season, to force unknown NU receivers to make plays. Toure might have been a big beneficiary of more attention paid to Allen, and was able to find a lot of open spots deep, behind the coverage going to Allen. 

5) Frost is a piss poor playcaller 

6) Frost is a bad coach who's offense doesn't work. And instead of falling on his sword and say "my offense doesn't work," he throws his offensive staff under the bus and fires them, as though he wasn't the idiot calling the plays.

**Sorry man Frost hasn't done anything to earn the benefit of the doubt.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • suh_fan93 changed the title to Austin Allen