Mickey Joseph Hired As WR’s Coach, AHC & Passing Game Coordinator

48 minutes ago, lo country said:

I hear the whole "still coaching", but NU hired Frost going for an 13-0 season.  LSU hired Kelly and they could go to the CFP.  Napier playing in a conference championship.  I know it's HC's and not position guys, but I don't think that holds water as a reason to not have a hire yet.  

One thing I thing Frost could do a much better job of moving forward is be more transparent.  If a player is injured, let the fans know.  It saves us wondering and going "worse case scenario" ie dog house, transfer portal etc....With the hiring, admit you have a guy, but will announce at the end of their regular season.  Admit we are still searching.  Trev alluded to changes with the openings of recent coaching positions adjusting some things.  Again, I could be wrong, but this search seems like one huge Charlie Foxtrot.

No.  Would Frost still be HC if he played at OU.

There are reasons....some of them legal and/or contractual...why not everything behind the scenes can be disclosed 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheSker said:

There are reasons....some of them legal and/or contractual...why not everything behind the scenes can be disclosed 

I realize that.  I'd just like a lot more transparency. Press more access to the practices.  Why the secrecy when a guy is out for multiple games.  Who is even on the search committee.  In a room void of information, we make our own. And it's often wrong and non-productive.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, lo country said:

Just like our season.  While other schools announce who they are hiring, NU announces who they are not.  LOL.  We currently have the best record for coaches who almost chose us!

i repeatedly said this after it was announced that Frost was being retained: what coordinators are going to come to a place where the HC’s seat is white-hot, where you might only be for one season? 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, lo country said:

Am I missing something.  What is the true allure of Joseph?  Our WR's need work for sure, but They are probably last on my list of concerns.  With all of the rumors (only name thrown out) it looks like this guys will be the cornerstone of this new coaching "class".  I know he's a jam up recruiter and ties to the Huskers and has coached a lot of great WR's, but it's just odd this is the only name we are hearing.....Is this hire going to be the catalysts for success.  Seems the eggs are all in this basket for Joseph.

I think he would be a good addition but, he isn’t a “must get” coach. 

But, when he decides to stay, some fans on here will act like there dog just died. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

Rumor has it that nobody wants to end up at Nebraska, which could very well be a “one and done” job. That said, they plan on having open interviews on Huskerboard as there are members that “sound like they know what they are doing””, and that is better than where they are currently at.

I sure hope that Trev Alberts knows what he is doing...........

• Haha 4
21 minutes ago, CyHawk said:

Rumor has it that nobody wants to end up at Nebraska, which could very well be a “one and done” job. That said, they plan on having open interviews on Huskerboard as there are members that “sound like they know what they are doing””, and that is better than where they are currently at.

I sure hope that Trev Alberts knows what he is doing...........

Most D1 assistants don't care about one and done they move all the

time!

• Plus1 2

13 hours ago, runningblind said:

LSU fans say he is a great recruiter but not so great as a coach and has always had help. Said Brady was largely responsible for the 2019 improvements. 

If we're on a prove it year, coaching matters more than recruiting.  Recruiting is very important though still.

Do we only want Frost to hire as if there's only 1 year left? I mean, I get the doubt that he can get it done, but the HC still has to hire for more than a single year and recruiting is extremely important.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Do we only want Frost to hire as if there's only 1 year left? I mean, I get the doubt that he can get it done, but the HC still has to hire for more than a single year and recruiting is extremely important.

It is a chicken and egg problem.  He should want to hire for more than one year and boost recruiting, but that won't matter if he can't get it done in 2022.  So he needs immediate impact guys in 2022 that can enable things to continue past that.  Ideally you want guys that can do both, but the more immediate problem is winning in 2022 to allow for the other things.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

It is a chicken and egg problem.  He should want to hire for more than one year and boost recruiting, but that won't matter if he can't get it done in 2022.  So he needs immediate impact guys in 2022 that can enable things to continue past that.  Ideally you want guys that can do both, but the more immediate problem is winning in 2022 to allow for the other things.

I agree that he needs to do both. It's extremely difficult to get good recruiters, so Joseph would be a big hire IMO regardless of the current situation. And people are talking about Beckton coaching TE and WR, so it seems like a no-brainer to hire Joseph if we can.

• Plus1 1
  • seaofred92 changed the title to Mickey Joseph Hired As WR’s Coach, AHC & Passing Game Coordinator