Mickey Joseph Hired As WR’s Coach, AHC & Passing Game Coordinator

21 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Welp, I just received the reply. He simply stated (in regards to the Nebraska offer): "It's on the table." So, at least Mickey mentioned it to them that he could possibly be leaving. Again, I think it all comes down to Kelly. Hopefully he'll meet with all of the coordinators soon to discuss their futures.

Am I missing something.  What is the true allure of Joseph?  Our WR's need work for sure, but They are probably last on my list of concerns.  With all of the rumors (only name thrown out) it looks like this guys will be the cornerstone of this new coaching "class".  I know he's a jam up recruiter and ties to the Huskers and has coached a lot of great WR's, but it's just odd this is the only name we are hearing.....Is this hire going to be the catalysts for success.  Seems the eggs are all in this basket for Joseph.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, lo country said:

Am I missing something.  What is the true allure of Joseph?  Our WR's need work for sure, but They are probably last on my list of concerns.  With all of the rumors (only name thrown out) it looks like this guys will be the cornerstone of this new coaching "class".  I know he's a jam up recruiter and ties to the Huskers and has coached a lot of great WR's, but it's just odd this is the only name we are hearing.....Is this hire going to be the catalysts for success.  Seems the eggs are all in this basket for Joseph.

LSU fans say he is a great recruiter but not so great as a coach and has always had help. Said Brady was largely responsible for the 2019 improvements. 

If we're on a prove it year, coaching matters more than recruiting.  Recruiting is very important though still.

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, runningblind said:

LSU fans say he is a great recruiter but not so great as a coach and has always had help. Said Brady was largely responsible for the 2019 improvements. 

If we're on a prove it year, coaching matters more than recruiting.  Recruiting is very important though still.

Thanks.  Just seems a whole lot of hope and hype that he comes here.  I'd have hoped we'd have an OC lined up by now.  

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, lo country said:

If Mickey Joseph had played college ball at Iowa, would anyone really be that interested?  For this years "do or die"staff?  Come on, be honest.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'm hoping the reason we haven't hired an OC yet is because the target is currently still coaching in meaningful games... otherwise, we're in trouble. As far as Joseph goes, the main reason we need him is for his recruiting ability and Louisiana ties. I'd feel confident with him as recruiting coordinator.

I hear the whole "still coaching", but NU hired Frost going for an 13-0 season.  LSU hired Kelly and they could go to the CFP.  Napier playing in a conference championship.  I know it's HC's and not position guys, but I don't think that holds water as a reason to not have a hire yet.  

One thing I thing Frost could do a much better job of moving forward is be more transparent.  If a player is injured, let the fans know.  It saves us wondering and going "worse case scenario" ie dog house, transfer portal etc....With the hiring, admit you have a guy, but will announce at the end of their regular season.  Admit we are still searching.  Trev alluded to changes with the openings of recent coaching positions adjusting some things.  Again, I could be wrong, but this search seems like one huge Charlie Foxtrot.

9 minutes ago, admo said:

If Mickey Joseph had played college ball at Iowa, would anyone really be that interested?  For this years "do or die"staff?  Come on, be honest.

No.  Would Frost still be HC if he played at OU.

• Plus1 1

I have been thinking about this and I'm not so sure Mickey Joseph would be the best option. Just because he can recruit to LSU does not necessarily mean he can recruit to Nebraska. 

I'm not saying it can't work but maybe we should find a guy who can Hammer the 500-mile radius and keep some of our four-star talent in state

Just not so sure that Louisiana guys want to go to Nebraska with the perception of maybe winning four games

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

I have been thinking about this and I'm not so sure Mickey Joseph would be the best option. Just because he can recruit to LSU does not necessarily mean he can recruit to Nebraska. 

I'm not saying it can't work but maybe we should find a guy who can Hammer the 500-mile radius and keep some of our four-star talent in state

Just not so sure that Louisiana guys want to go to Nebraska with the perception of maybe winning four games

Great point.  LSU recruits itself.  Like OU, OSU, Bama, UGA, Clemson etc...Winners want to play for winners.  The kids we are recruiting now were not even in HS the last time we had a winning season.....Not a NC, conference championship, played in a CFP game, but simply going 7-5 or better.  Our bests season was when they were in 8th grade.  An impressive 5 win campaign.....Unsure if a legit jam up recruiter could really move the needle at NU when we are doing so poorly.  

I always marveled at our recruiting rankings under Frost. Top 25 classes until this year.  yes I know the class is small, but not 1 4*.  Kids and coaches have finally wised up and realize that Frost is selling a bill of goods.  All flash and no fire.  And it shows.

• Plus1 1

My guess would be that Joseph’s allure is heavily rooted in his recruiting ability, which he has earned.

With that said, if he stays at LSU, I could see HCSF simply adding WRs to Beckton. 

I do think he is a bit of a “first, than” hire. If we don’t get him, other staff configurations take place. Don’t love that, but just how it seems.

• seaofred92 changed the title to Mickey Joseph Hired As WR’s Coach, AHC & Passing Game Coordinator