Mickey Joseph Hired As WR’s Coach, AHC & Passing Game Coordinator

:thumbs

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't think it has anything to do with that.  I believe it's someone who is kind of like a VP of a company.  They help the HC manage the program.  I'm sure the actual duties vary depending on the HC and program.

As far as Joseph goes, I'm sure it looks good on a resume if and when he wants to apply for a HC position.

If Frost gets fired, it's probably not going to the associate head coach that gets hired.  If Frost is very successful over the next 5 years and leaves for another job, then the program would probably consider Joseph.

That all makes sense.  

35 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

If (a big if) Frost miraculously turn thing up dramatically in 2022 / 2023, the new staff will be hot commodities and Frost will be looking again to replace them.  

Or Frost becomes a hot commodity (which would mean success finally arrived in Lincoln).  But if he does, I think he would stay as he has a deeper association wt Nebraska than some of the coaches who jumped ship this year. 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Or Frost becomes a hot commodity (which would mean success finally arrived in Lincoln).  But if he does, I think he would stay as he has a deeper association wt Nebraska than some of the coaches who jumped ship this year. 

Well, Frost won’t raise his stock from where it is with one winning season cause the new hires will be given credit for the changes. 

13 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Well, Frost won’t raise his stock from where it is with one winning season cause the new hires will be given credit for the changes. 

False. The HC always takes the fall and always gets the credit. Case in point, Jim Harbaugh finally got it figured out this year. The end.  Now, I know he brought in new coaches after last season, but as a casual observer, I have no idea who or what he did, only that he was a bad coach last year and is now a good coach. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, TGHusker said:

So what does Assistant Head Coach title mean practically for him.  Does it mean that when Frost has a colonoscopy, Joseph becomes the head coach and carry the 'black clipboard"?     Is it something that gives him the inside route to the HC job if Frost is let go and was he given that title for that purpose?  
So did Frost hire his replacement? :dunno:dunno:dunno

It means they can pay him a little more because he has another title.

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, Husker03 said:

False. The HC always takes the fall and always gets the credit. Case in point, Jim Harbaugh finally got it figured out this year. The end.  Now, I know he brought in new coaches after last season, but as a casual observer, I have no idea who or what he did, only that he was a bad coach last year and is now a good coach. 

Very accurate. The common day coaching carousel is determined in the micro and not macro economy. Its strictly what have you done for me lately. If Frost wins next year he will win comeback coach of the year. Trev will be celebrated for having the intestinal fortitude to keep him around. All will be forgiven. If he doesn't win, then it just wasn't meant to be and he will be show the door. 

On 12/6/2021 at 6:37 PM, Husker03 said:

No.  I’m sure Michigan has some casual fans that may be that simplistic - what have you done lately but the serious observer know the difference.  Obviously Harbaugh got over the OSU hump after many failed tries but once is not enough to erase a decade.  

And, Harbaugh will be judged by his entire resume’ of work when seeking his next gig. He bought himself some time but if he gets blown out in the playoff, the naysayers will be load as ever, rightly so. 

2 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

And, Harbaugh will be judged by his entire resume’ of work when seeking his next gig. He bought himself some time but if he gets blown out in the playoff, the naysayers will be load as ever, rightly so. 

His entire body of work should shut up the naysayers even moreso.

It includes building up San Diego to an elite level, building up Stanford to an elite level, building the 49ers to get to the Super Bowl, and building Michigan to get to the playoff. 

He's an amazing coach.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

His entire body of work should shut up the naysayers even moreso.

It includes building up San Diego to an elite level, building up Stanford to an elite level, building the 49ers to get to the Super Bowl, and building Michigan to get to the playoff. 

He's an amazing coach.

He’s a good coach.  And he may get credit for this year with a couple HUGE wins yet to go. But his new hires will get more credit.  

It doesn’t work so much the other way. HC brings in new staff after dumping a bunch (ala Frost - Solich come to mind), and then flames out the following year,  HC gets blamed.  Period.  
New hires replacing prior hires of same boss => boss gets credit for good hires who fix his mistakes.  But staff get credit for the fixing changes, mostly.   Usually a boss really doesn’t relinquish any meaningful control (defacto) even in the face of serious risk as a boss got there by taking risk / gambling and winning.  It can work the other way but usually only if it is clear that the primary problems were the fault of the prior hires and beyond the sight and normal reach of the boss.  Not the case with Frost or Solich.  Coaching staff of 10 work closely together in virtually all ways.  Frost is fully aware of the various assistants’ work or should be.  That’s his job.  He gets big bucks and the buck stops with him.  Frost hired his guys and kept them thru and after the losses mounted up until the lynch mob was gathering.  He fires a bunch and now is hoping for a miracle turn around.  Did he get miracle workers?

MJ - probably a very good recruiter in LA for LSU and may be a good one for NU for a year or two. Good coach, it would appear.  Miracle man?

DR - maybe a decent O line coach after being in the Bears and Badgers’ dens.  But he’s had good material to work before and he’s too young to be a wily old veteran.  Not the description of a miracle worker but Jesus was but a carpenter so?

MW - grizzled old school HC whose been thru several wars with both medals and scars.  He is wise cause he’s been thru it all. He will not be surprised by any opposing coach or scheme or adjustments.  His battlefield experience is extremely important (one of the pieces Frost may have been lacking).  If Frost will listen, he will be a great asset.  Miracle worker?   Perhaps. I doubt Frost listens.  But miracles can happen. 

Rbs/ST hire ? -  Doesn’t really matter who. Special teams if attended to will get better.  RBs are probably coached adequately already and have talent to get the job they’ll be tasked to do, done.  The problem seems to be the RBs won’t be all that important.  Just change-up pitches to try to keep the pass defense a little more honest.  
No miracles from the RBs or their coach.   Now STs can be the source of both life and death as the spark or the wet blanket.  But, Frost won’t turn the 2022 team into a 13-0 miracle with STs alone.  He can get to a bowl maybe but if the next QB throws pick 6s and arm punts to avoid sacks with his arm as he has no legs, no water into wine here.  
This is Scott Frost’s latest and most difficult hail mary.   Question is - whose gonna catch a pass off of somebody’s foot?   

I don’t understand comparing Frost and Harbaugh. Look at Harbaughs record at Michigan- he needed a few adjustments to get over the hump but the record is solid. Our record under Frost is pathetic. This is not a hump we are trying to get over. We are trying to solve a big problem that has led to the worst 4 years maybe ever? 

35 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I don’t understand comparing Frost and Harbaugh. Look at Harbaughs record at Michigan- he needed a few adjustments to get over the hump but the record is solid. Our record under Frost is pathetic. This is not a hump we are trying to get over. We are trying to solve a big problem that has led to the worst 4 years maybe ever? 

Bill Jennings went 15-34-1 in his 5 years as HC all losing seasons. He led us to the last 9 loss season in 1957. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Comparing Harbaugh to Frost is apples to oranges.  Harbaugh to Pelini would be a better comp.

Harbaugh was very Peilini-like his first 5 years - 10-3, 10-3, 8-5, 10-3, 9-4.  Then the bottom fell out at 2-4 during the Covid year.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

He’s a good coach.  And he may get credit for this year with a couple HUGE wins yet to go. But his new hires will get more credit.  

It doesn’t work so much the other way. HC brings in new staff after dumping a bunch (ala Frost - Solich come to mind), and then flames out the following year,  HC gets blamed.  Period.  
New hires replacing prior hires of same boss => boss gets credit for good hires who fix his mistakes.  But staff get credit for the fixing changes, mostly.   Usually a boss really doesn’t relinquish any meaningful control (defacto) even in the face of serious risk as a boss got there by taking risk / gambling and winning.  It can work the other way but usually only if it is clear that the primary problems were the fault of the prior hires and beyond the sight and normal reach of the boss.  Not the case with Frost or Solich.  Coaching staff of 10 work closely together in virtually all ways.  Frost is fully aware of the various assistants’ work or should be.  That’s his job.  He gets big bucks and the buck stops with him.  Frost hired his guys and kept them thru and after the losses mounted up until the lynch mob was gathering.  He fires a bunch and now is hoping for a miracle turn around.  Did he get miracle workers?

MJ - probably a very good recruiter in LA for LSU and may be a good one for NU for a year or two. Good coach, it would appear.  Miracle man?

DR - maybe a decent O line coach after being in the Bears and Badgers’ dens.  But he’s had good material to work before and he’s too young to be a wily old veteran.  Not the description of a miracle worker but Jesus was but a carpenter so?

MW - grizzled old school HC whose been thru several wars with both medals and scars.  He is wise cause he’s been thru it all. He will not be surprised by any opposing coach or scheme or adjustments.  His battlefield experience is extremely important (one of the pieces Frost may have been lacking).  If Frost will listen, he will be a great asset.  Miracle worker?   Perhaps. I doubt Frost listens.  But miracles can happen. 

Rbs/ST hire ? -  Doesn’t really matter who. Special teams if attended to will get better.  RBs are probably coached adequately already and have talent to get the job they’ll be tasked to do, done.  The problem seems to be the RBs won’t be all that important.  Just change-up pitches to try to keep the pass defense a little more honest.  
No miracles from the RBs or their coach.   Now STs can be the source of both life and death as the spark or the wet blanket.  But, Frost won’t turn the 2022 team into a 13-0 miracle with STs alone.  He can get to a bowl maybe but if the next QB throws pick 6s and arm punts to avoid sacks with his arm as he has no legs, no water into wine here.  
This is Scott Frost’s latest and most difficult hail mary.   Question is - whose gonna catch a pass off of somebody’s foot?   

You really truly have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1