Mickey Joseph Hired As WR’s Coach, AHC & Passing Game Coordinator

55 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

If Betts buys in, he's  1st team B1G receiver caliber next season.

How you practice absolutely has to matter. Because not every player on the team can get by on talent alone, and if you let poor practice habits slide with the super talented kids.... Not a good recipe for success.

Him and Manning both.

To the bolded part, thank god my coach put me in games.  I was an average at best player in practice.  Did all the drills but never stood out, I just knew it wasn't a game and I just couldn't do my best.  Would do sprints, run laps and I'd be gassed and finish last struggling to finish even a lap.   Put me in the game, could run all day long and only one person was ever able to outrun me.  And he outran most everyone in the state (Reggie Baul) and would play 2-3 games a day some days.   There was something about it being a game and it seemed my skill level jumped 300% was a second team all-state and if i would have known how to get recruited for my sport 30 years ago, would have been able to play at a low level D1 or high level D2 school.  I wish I knew how to translate that to practice, I just couldn't.

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

These new coaches are NOT gonna start with favorites surely.

There's no such thing as not having favorites. There's always favorites. You just hope that what makes them favorites is what also makes them the best and most productive players. 

Sometimes there's different mindsets and framework for determining the answer to that, and people don't agree on that.

• 2 weeks later...

21 minutes ago, Decked said:

Seems like a very obvious choice to have a strong black male figure to recruit omaha & have Ruud recruit the rest of the state 

I'm probably going to get some flack for this.  But with the excitement that Mickey Joseph has brought to the program in just the last several weeks as a position coach and how players have been drawn to him, I can see him being in the running for replacing Frost if Frost were to be shown the door in the next year or two.  Especially if his work with the players this year shows a ton of improvement and he continues to build relationships with those around him. 

Plus, he seems like a pretty solid family guy that the University would be happy to see represent them.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I'm probably going to get some flack for this.  But with the excitement that Mickey Joseph has brought to the program in just the last several weeks as a position coach and how players have been drawn to him, I can see him being in the running for replacing Frost if Frost were to be shown the door in the next year or two.  Especially if his work with the players this year shows a ton of improvement and he continues to build relationships with those around him. 

Plus, he seems like a pretty solid family guy that the University would be happy to see represent them.

I have been thinking the exact same thing.  

20 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Yeah but that is a tough sell...firing the HC and hiring one of his position coaches to be the new HC?