Mickey Joseph Hired As WR’s Coach, AHC & Passing Game Coordinator

On 1/25/2022 at 12:05 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

Usually OCs and DCs but not always. You identify a smart mind and a good motivator and grab him while he's under the radar. 

Looking at NU's last 6 HC hires, 3 had previous HC experience, 3 first time as HC.

HC Experience

• Bill Callahan
  • Mike Riley
  • Scott Frost

Fisrt Time as HC

• Tom Osborne
  • Frank Solich
  • Bo Pelini

I know which group I'd take.

An looking a little south, all these stiffs had no prior HC experience. I'd say they did just OK.

• Bud Wilkinson
  • Chuck Fairbanks
  • Barry Switzer
  • Bob Stoops
  • Lincoln Riley

• Plus1 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

2 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

So how many more WRs do they need. Bunch of offers pending for this next class?   We need OL, DL, DEs, TEs, a few secondary at least.  How can you not find atleast 5 out of 10 worthy of playing. Add some walkons and that’s plenty.  It’d be different IF we weren’t so deficient across so many other areas.  Just my feeling.  And this is just the current roster.  How many more have come and gone with just a season or two?  

"But will Mickey Joseph be able to recruit here? There's a big difference between LSU and Nebraska" :rolleyes:

Just proves my point that for the right coach, kids will go anywhere to play. Hate to say it but our other coaches just aren't on the level we need them to be recruiting-wise for us to be consistently successful. Just think of how lethal our offense would be if we had a true pipeline.

I'm hoping MJ is involved in Zalance Heard's recruitment; at least that would give me hope that we might land him.

• Oh Yeah! 1
5 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

So how many more WRs do they need. Bunch of offers pending for this next class?   We need OL, DL, DEs, TEs, a few secondary at least.  How can you not find atleast 5 out of 10 worthy of playing. Add some walkons and that’s plenty.  It’d be different IF we weren’t so deficient across so many other areas.  Just my feeling.  And this is just the current roster.  How many more have come and gone with just a season or two?  

I gotta question for you....do you wake up pissy everyday? Your post are the most negative I have ever seen. It is a constant drumbeat of negativity. Do you get tired at all with the negative posts? Asking for a friend. Must be exhausting with all those minions in your brain. Good luck with that. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Just proves my point that for the right coach, kids will go anywhere to play. Hate to say it but our other coaches just aren't on the level we need them to be recruiting-wise for us to be consistently successful.

FYI recruiting ability isn't correlated at all to coaching ability.

If anything there's more of an argument that we've had coaches on staff who have punched above their weight recruiting wise but couldn't do s#!t to actually coach. It's exceptionally rare to find coaches who can do both.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, mwj98 said:

I gotta question for you....do you wake up pissy everyday? Your post are the most negative I have ever seen. It is a constant drumbeat of negativity. Do you get tired at all with the negative posts? Asking for a friend. Must be exhausting with all those minions in your brain. Good luck with that. 

Maybe you’re  fairly new to fandom and this board so I’ll excuse the pissy language.  No, sir, I’m not generally in a pissy mood but as a 50 year fan, I am very pissy about the performance of the team and coaches in recent years.  The team is bad by Neb FB standards, and not good by any other measure, period. Never in my 63 year lifetime has the team (my team), played so poorly, week after week, year after year.  
Spin and wishful thinking and blinders have become the only ways to avoid this inconvenient and ugly truth for many.   For you to complain about my reaction to a post suggesting the Huskers are loaded with all this receiving talent when many (most) feel the weak areas of the team are elsewhere but pumping out scholarships to more receivers, is hard to reconcile. That is mismanagement imo.  Explain and defend your support for it - perhaps I’ve missed something somewhere.  That is what this board is all about - discussion, debate, venting, cheering, etc. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

84HuskerLaw, one immutable truth I've discovered about Nebraska fans over the years: they hate negativity of any kind, no matter how true it may be. They want to hear how great things are, and how promising things look... yet ironically, those same ones are the ones complaining during the season when the team isn't performing up to standard.

• Plus1 2

@84HuskerLaw and @The Scarlet Pimpernel.

Thats a "ditto" here. 

I recall taking a beating for expressing the utter fail of the "horrid OL" and its play a few years back.  In that, I was stating the "fail" of even Jurgens as a "bust".  I get the beating I took for that.  But, again, in comparison to what our history was [along with the championships and pride it generated], you can't "develop" a TE for two years to be a Center who can't snap a ball, then have one partially successful year [the rest of the OL totally sucked] and then have them move on to the NFL without hitting "paydirt" with him.  I don't care if Jurgens got drafted high/well or is a great NFL pro.  Here at Nebraska, we want our players to have success and make their mark here.  I'm totally fine with what Remington did here.  It doesn't matter to me how his NFL career went.

To all this ... one gets castrated for stating the obvious in the OL and DL that continue to miss on recruiting hits and then the under developement of the player [glad to see more negativity on the OL and less praise of it this past year].

Who doesn't love another 4* player?  No one.  But like in fantasy football, you gotta be taking the best available on the board in each round for as you can't have WR's at every spot.  So ya, we are celebrating a recruiting win at WR ... but man ... how 'bout getting a 4* or 5* at the OL or DL spot?  If anything, the "good" OL recruiting in that one year proves you have to recruit well in multiple years at OL and then develop it. 

Presently, it appears that there is no radius or place of "inroads" where the footprint of :bigredn: is etched in recruiting or in our performance.  I'm appreciating the fans that see this and recognize it.  It isn't negative to me.

Go Big Red!

• Plus1 2
17 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you.  The one way you have to look at it is that MJ is going to recruit and coach up his WR room the way he sees fit.  He's putting offers out there just like any other position coach and his offers are being accepted.  I do just wish that SF made it at least seem that for example OL recruiting would at least seem to be more of a priority than it seemingly has been.

• Plus1 1