Mickey Joseph Hired As WR’s Coach, AHC & Passing Game Coordinator

36 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Well, to be fair, there were times - MANY times - I was right with my assessments/statements, and was still condemned. 

I found that Nebraska fans don't like to be wrong, either :D

Eh ... there are not very many situations - when discussing Husker football - where one person is 100% "right" and the other person is 100% "wrong".  Far more often, one person is focusing on one aspect of something that they see as a positive while someone else is focusing on a different aspect of the situation and pointing out a negative.  Both are convinced that they are "right" and the other person is "wrong".  But it's not really that simple.

obi-wan-kenobi-certain-point-of-view.gif

I have no problem pointing out and discussing things that are bad or need fixed.  But it does seem odd to me that some people - who are supposedly "fans" - insist on exaggerating the bad and take every opportunity to interject a negative viewpoint, even with the conversation calls for nothing like that.  It's like they are so unhappy that they can't let anyone talk about being optimistic because it's a personal insult.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1

That's what kills me - as if a fan that points out the negative isn't a true fan. That's ridiculous. I point out both the good and the bad, when I see fit. Voicing criticism doesn't make me any less of a true fan; I call it like I see it. It can't be sunshine and unicorns all the time. After 20 years of mediocrity and irrelevance, I can definitely understand those who have a pessimistic view of things. I used to be super-optimistic -- Husker football was one reliable thing I could count on each week to perform well. However, over the past two decades my mindset has progressed to the point where I now expect the worst. Sadly, more often than not, it comes to fruition. That said, you'll never hear me complain about the poor product during the season, because it's what I've come to expect. Meanwhile, the overly optimistic fans -- the ones who believed all the recruiting hype and "we looked great at practice" spiel from the coach -- are the ones throwing a fit and having a meltdown, while at the same time condemning those of us who anticipated it. It's laughable. I might not agree with others' opinions, but I respect the views of all, and that's all that I (and others like me) expect in return... not condemnation and being told I'm "not a true fan" and that "maybe you should find another team to cheer for" and other nonsense. Preparing for, and anticipating, the worst isn't necessarily a bad thing. I have high expectations for this program and while others' expectations have declined over the years I refuse to lower mine. 

Heck, I was more optimistic than anyone about the Frost hire... hasn't quite turned out the way I've expected.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

That's what kills me - as if a fan that points out the negative isn't a true fan. That's ridiculous. I point out both the good and the bad, when I see fit. Voicing criticism doesn't make me any less of a true fan; I call it like I see it. It can't be sunshine and unicorns all the time.

Yeah, you didn't read what I actually said.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

That's what kills me - as if a fan that points out the negative isn't a true fan. That's ridiculous. I point out both the good and the bad, when I see fit. Voicing criticism doesn't make me any less of a true fan; I call it like I see it. It can't be sunshine and unicorns all the time. After 20 years of mediocrity and irrelevance, I can definitely understand those who have a pessimistic view of things. I used to be super-optimistic -- Husker football was one reliable thing I could count on each week to perform well. However, over the past two decades my mindset has progressed to the point where I now expect the worst. Sadly, more often than not, it comes to fruition. That said, you'll never hear me complain about the poor product during the season, because it's what I've come to expect. Meanwhile, the overly optimistic fans -- the ones who believed all the recruiting hype and "we looked great at practice" spiel from the coach -- are the ones throwing a fit and having a meltdown, while at the same time condemning those of us who anticipated it. It's laughable. I might not agree with others' opinions, but I respect the views of all, and that's all that I (and others like me) expect in return... not condemnation and being told I'm "not a true fan" and that "maybe you should find another team to cheer for" and other nonsense. Preparing for, and anticipating, the worst isn't necessarily a bad thing. I have high expectations for this program and while others' expectations have declined over the years I refuse to lower mine. 

Heck, I was more optimistic than anyone about the Frost hire... hasn't quite turned out the way I've expected.

You are so brave. 

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, Mavric said:

So your proof is that people called you out for being wrong and you ended up being terribly wrong.  But you still want to think that you were right.

Yeah, it's all those other people who are completely off base.

Hey Mavric ... if I can recall your words [which I do], you stated, I had a "the sky is falling" view.  To that I can say that it has been actually a comforting thing to see the posts since then with quite a few others expressing what they also have seen and observed.  I will agree to a feeling of being "called out".  On the matter of being "right" ... I don't really care.  This I do believe ... I am not terrible wrong.  Our record is proof enough.  I stated what I felt and I think our beloved :bigredn: continues to have it's woes in the horrid OL and the DL doesn't get really have any particular guy who is worrisome to an opposing offense.  It's all just part of the same core issues after coaching and the lack of any real decent development in the OL and DL.  

I continue to wait for another season and the "development" ... which is why I related to @84HuskerLaw and the perception of him being "always negative" [similar to your view of that post back then I suppose].  

5 hours ago, RichardHangslow said:

You are so brave. 

Coincidentally, one of the qualities that was mentioned when I won District Teacher of the Year this year :D

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, you didn't read what I actually said.

Likewise,  you must have misinterpreted what I actually said. I wasn’t referring to you solely. 

• Plus1 1

20 hours ago, Mavric said:

Eh ... there are not very many situations - when discussing Husker football - where one person is 100% "right" and the other person is 100% "wrong".  Far more often, one person is focusing on one aspect of something that they see as a positive while someone else is focusing on a different aspect of the situation and pointing out a negative.  Both are convinced that they are "right" and the other person is "wrong".  But it's not really that simple.

obi-wan-kenobi-certain-point-of-view.gif

I have no problem pointing out and discussing things that are bad or need fixed.  But it does seem odd to me that some people - who are supposedly "fans" - insist on exaggerating the bad and take every opportunity to interject a negative viewpoint, even with the conversation calls for nothing like that.  It's like they are so unhappy that they can't let anyone talk about being optimistic because it's a personal insult.

Enjoyed your thoughts @Mavric.  I am always appreciating your contribution as admin and your views/thought can and have at times "balanced" out my more "negative" view.

So, FYI, I have read your full statement and did not pass over any word.  Having expressed that ... I wanted to shift to the fascinating thing I see.

Our board overall has guestimated our "winning" over the past five [5] years by a good 3-4 games [since Frost has been here].  Yes, thankfully, as the years pass we see more dialing back of their predictions of what use to be mostly 9-3 or 8-4 at a minimum.  There were certainly a good 25% that were 10-2 or 9-3 at the worst type folks.  That is all fine ... I have no problem with that view for those years [I just saw it differently].

Here is where I am going ...

I have simply found it fascinating how the person who thinks we go 6-6, 5-7 or [God forbid] 4-8, is viewed/considered/judged as "negative" and then of course stupid or incompetent [not imposing the last too on you Mav].  Yet, those folks were not only correct, but still gave :bigredn: a fair shake and a couple more wins.  Yet, I don't see those same folks on the board really $itchin' and complaining to the degree as the folks who said that we would go 10-2, 9-3 or 8-4.  It's these folks who really turn on both the coach, the team and even the media and fan base and become real "pieces of work".  Ya, sure, there are always trool types that show up and are "negative", but I don't see many members here who are "negative" [even if they state we will go 4-8 or 5-7, who then needle the board and say, "See, I was right, I told you we would go 4-8 and we suck on the OL and DL."]  We just don't see that.

If that does/is occurring and the view is someone like me is doing/being this ... then  yes, by all means, provide the rebuke and I think a member like myself will gladly leave or change the speaking of his view for the benefit of the group.

But without belittling the point ... the OL has been "horrid" [my word use] to Nebraska standards, whether it is measured by performance, ranking or development.  This is judged by the whole of the group and not by one player or one good/decent season a particular player has.  I think it's fair to say that both the OL and DL have been labeled "busts" for the Frost era and even on the OL or DL, we are not just "one player away".  Yep, that view may be wrong and the board sees it to a different way.  Yet, I don't believe it's to state that that person is "negative" then.

I am looking forward to seeing what our new OL coach can bring and especially how well we do in the last four games of the season and how the team holds up.  Am hopeful for five [5] wins this year and see solid blocking and protection in the OL and a middle push with something off the edge on the pass and some girth in the middle to stop the run.  

I'll purpose to "man up" myself and stay away from the obvious moving forward and attempt to not speak in a way that sounds "negative" or "frustated", especially as it relates to the OL.

• Plus1 1
58 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I have simply found it fascinating how the person who thinks we go 6-6, 5-7 or [God forbid] 4-8, is viewed/considered/judged as "negative" and then of course stupid or incompetent [not imposing the last too on you Mav].  Yet, those folks were not only correct, but still gave :bigredn: a fair shake and a couple more wins. 

I looked back through the last nine months for the word "stupid".  It was never explicitly directed at another poster.  There were two instances where it might have been meant for someone indirectly but, if anything, it would have been used by someone who was on the "negative" side of things.  You made the same accusation about being called "stupid" before.  Yet I can't find any evidence of that actually happening.  In that same post you claim you were called an idiot.  Yet a search for "idiot" doesn't reveal anyone using that directed at anyone, let alone you.  The word "incompetent" has not been directed at another poster in the past year (at least).  So it seems like you like to play the victim and throw out accusations that are mostly in your head.

Yet, I don't see those same folks on the board really $itchin' and complaining to the degree as the folks who said that we would go 10-2, 9-3 or 8-4.  It's these folks who really turn on both the coach, the team and even the media and fan base and become real "pieces of work". 

Pretty sure you aren't paying attention if that's your view.  You are painting with an over-broad brush.  

Ya, sure, there are always trool types that show up and are "negative", but I don't see many members here who are "negative" [even if they state we will go 4-8 or 5-7, who then needle the board and say, "See, I was right, I told you we would go 4-8 and we suck on the OL and DL."]  We just don't see that.

If that does/is occurring and the view is someone like me is doing/being this ... then  yes, by all means, provide the rebuke and I think a member like myself will gladly leave or change the speaking of his view for the benefit of the group.

Eh, your whole post suggests this isn't the case.  And isn't what I said earlier anyway.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
53 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Not sure what this proves, and I'm not interested in getting into a peeing contest right now. If you don't think MJ would have stayed at LSU had Kelly offered, I don't know what to tell ya. I could list plenty of times when I've been right and you (and others) have been wrong, but I'm not going there. I have no problems admitting when I'm wrong, but history has proven that others don't share that quality. We'll just have to agree to disagree with our perspectives on a lot of things, and leave it at that.