Mickey Joseph Hired As WR’s Coach, AHC & Passing Game Coordinator

2 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Not sure what this proves, and I'm not interested in getting into a peeing contest right now. If you don't think MJ would have stayed at LSU had Kelly offered, I don't know what to tell ya. 

Yeah, you continue to read what you want to read and make no attempt to understand what is actually being said.

• Plus1 4

9 hours ago, BigRedN said:

Enjoyed your thoughts @Mavric.  I am always appreciating your contribution as admin and your views/thought can and have at times "balanced" out my more "negative" view.

So, FYI, I have read your full statement and did not pass over any word.  Having expressed that ... I wanted to shift to the fascinating thing I see.

Our board overall has guestimated our "winning" over the past five [5] years by a good 3-4 games [since Frost has been here].  Yes, thankfully, as the years pass we see more dialing back of their predictions of what use to be mostly 9-3 or 8-4 at a minimum.  There were certainly a good 25% that were 10-2 or 9-3 at the worst type folks.  That is all fine ... I have no problem with that view for those years [I just saw it differently].

Here is where I am going ...

I have simply found it fascinating how the person who thinks we go 6-6, 5-7 or [God forbid] 4-8, is viewed/considered/judged as "negative" and then of course stupid or incompetent [not imposing the last too on you Mav].  Yet, those folks were not only correct, but still gave :bigredn: a fair shake and a couple more wins.  Yet, I don't see those same folks on the board really $itchin' and complaining to the degree as the folks who said that we would go 10-2, 9-3 or 8-4.  It's these folks who really turn on both the coach, the team and even the media and fan base and become real "pieces of work".  Ya, sure, there are always trool types that show up and are "negative", but I don't see many members here who are "negative" [even if they state we will go 4-8 or 5-7, who then needle the board and say, "See, I was right, I told you we would go 4-8 and we suck on the OL and DL."]  We just don't see that.

If that does/is occurring and the view is someone like me is doing/being this ... then  yes, by all means, provide the rebuke and I think a member like myself will gladly leave or change the speaking of his view for the benefit of the group.

But without belittling the point ... the OL has been "horrid" [my word use] to Nebraska standards, whether it is measured by performance, ranking or development.  This is judged by the whole of the group and not by one player or one good/decent season a particular player has.  I think it's fair to say that both the OL and DL have been labeled "busts" for the Frost era and even on the OL or DL, we are not just "one player away".  Yep, that view may be wrong and the board sees it to a different way.  Yet, I don't believe it's to state that that person is "negative" then.

I am looking forward to seeing what our new OL coach can bring and especially how well we do in the last four games of the season and how the team holds up.  Am hopeful for five [5] wins this year and see solid blocking and protection in the OL and a middle push with something off the edge on the pass and some girth in the middle to stop the run.  

I'll purpose to "man up" myself and stay away from the obvious moving forward and attempt to not speak in a way that sounds "negative" or "frustated", especially as it relates to the OL.

What is so wrong about our current Offensive Li:bigredn:e?  Or our new DLine? I think we will be alright this season at both.

• Plus1 1

I had to be away from the internet for a few days and got one here expecting everyone to be stoked we signed one of the highest-rated receivers in our history and instead found the cranks complaining about the offensive line. This place really can be a parody of itself sometimes lol

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Oh Yeah! 2

FWIW modern football positional value is pretty universally regarded as: QB (big gap) --> WR, cornerback, pass rushers, offensive tackles (small gap) --> interior defensive line, safeties/nickels, tight ends (big gap) --> interior o-line, off-ball linebackers, running backs. The Bengals just had one of the worst offensive lines in recent NFL history but made it to the Super Bowl because they have three freak receivers who get immediate separation.

So personally I think it's great we just signed a super good and well-regarded player at one of the sport's most important positions, but I guess if some of you would like to be mad about that and use it as a way to harp on the same three things you complain about, you do you.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

I rate them like this (offensive line) in order

Tackles

Prochazka

Corcoran

Benhart

Hunter Anthony 

K William's

Banks

Guards

Corcoran 

K William's 

Ethan Piper

Lutovsky

Bando

Center

Hixson

Piper

Starting 5

Prochazka 

K William's 

Hixson

Corcoran 

Benhart

There is enough talented depth to move some pieces around, and others to fill in spots.

Other than Teddy and Lutovsky, these guys are 21, 22 years old+...  Prime for Big Ten 

• Plus1 3
On 7/7/2022 at 6:43 PM, J-MAGIC said:

FWIW modern football positional value is pretty universally regarded as: QB (big gap) --> WR, cornerback, pass rushers, offensive tackles (small gap) --> interior defensive line, safeties/nickels, tight ends (big gap) --> interior o-line, off-ball linebackers, running backs. The Bengals just had one of the worst offensive lines in recent NFL history but made it to the Super Bowl because they have three freak receivers who get immediate separation.

So personally I think it's great we just signed a super good and well-regarded player at one of the sport's most important positions, but I guess if some of you would like to be mad about that and use it as a way to harp on the same three things you complain about, you do you.

Thanks.  Needed to be said.

I think even with a sketchy offensive line there's still high potential for an improved passing game and an improved pass rush.  Which will almost certainly translate to more wins.

46 minutes ago, 1HuskerDad said:

Where would Frost be without MJ on the recruiting trail? 

Makes you further ask WTH was the coaching staff doing the last 4 years on the recruiting trail?

Which once again proves my theory that AHC Mickey Joseph should probably be HC Mickey Joseph.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, 1HuskerDad said:

Where would Frost be without MJ on the recruiting trail? 

Makes you further ask WTH was the coaching staff doing the last 4 years on the recruiting trail?

You may not actually follow our averages if this is your honest take.

Recruiting hasn't made Frost a .34 winning percentage coach. It's been an inability to fix special teams and get a handle on unforced errors, largely.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1