Mickey Joseph Hired As WR’s Coach, AHC & Passing Game Coordinator

1 hour ago, Undone said:

You may not actually follow our averages if this is your honest take.

Recruiting hasn't made Frost a .34 winning percentage coach. It's been an inability to fix special teams and get a handle on unforced errors, largely.

Yep. Which is why there have been so many one score losses.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Recruiting Top 20 classes.  :dunno

Yeah, except for last year their class rankings have been pretty impressive especially considering the W-L loss record they have accumulated. And this class so far is even more impressive. Got to wonder if they can get things turned around and chalk up some 8+ win seasons how many more doors it will open on the recruiting trail.

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Frost recruited well enough for 3 or 4 wins per season, but that's it.

I predict 1 offseason of Whipple and Joseph bringing in talent will at minimum get us to a bowl game.

I just don't see how this makes sense, though. I believe all of Frost's classes have ranked in the top 25 except for this 2022 incoming class.

Iowa's rankings aren't as good as ours but with sound coaching and clearly great attention to strength training & fundamentals they pull in decent seasons each year. Illinois hasn't had good recruiting or coaching in yet they've beaten us the past two seasons.

We've had several four star offensive linemen since Frost has been here, some recruited by him and some not - and a couple of them have gone to the NFL so far (Jaimes, Jurgens).

If recruiting classes/on-paper talent tended to really transfer directly to wins, then our situation doesn't prove that at all. The coaching & development has sucked, and the ability to get the players ready for games week to week has sucked even worse.

Scott Frost is a train wreck as a head coach of Nebraska football.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Undone said:

The coaching & development has sucked, and the ability to get the players ready for games week to week has sucked even worse.

Don't forget about how terrible we are at keeping those highly rated recruits on campus.

We had 10 4 stars in the 2020 class.  7 were gone within 2 years (Betts, Greene, Fleming, Gray, Joseph, Francios, Morrison).

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Don't forget about how terrible we are at keeping those highly rated recruits on campus.

We had 10 4 stars in the 2020 class.  7 were gone within 2 years (Betts, Greene, Fleming, Gray, Joseph, Francios, Morrison).

I agree, man.

Keyshawn Greene could have been a big difference maker, and Betts has been a loss. Morrison kind of got lost in the shuffle and wasn't standing out, sort of the same potentially with Fleming. The two DB's don't hurt as bad in my opinion.

But you're completely right on how it takes down the averages. We'd just have to have a metric to compare that attrition against some kind of national average.

I'm going to say that Greg Austin & Frost did a terrible job with the O-line, special teams has been a disaster for three seasons (outside of some better field goal kicking in 2020), and we generally just seem to buckle when the game is on the line. In terms of the roster we fielded last year we absolutely should have won at least 6 games.

I don't buy any kind of narrative that our roster last year on paper screams "this was a 3 win team."

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

I agree, man.

Keyshawn Greene could have been a big difference maker, and Betts has been a loss. Morrison kind of got lost in the shuffle and wasn't standing out, sort of the same potentially with Fleming. The two DB's don't hurt as bad in my opinion.

But you're completely right on how it takes down the averages. We'd just have to have a metric to compare that attrition against some kind of national average.

I'm going to say that Greg Austin & Frost did a terrible job with the O-line, special teams has been a disaster for three seasons (outside of some better field goal kicking in 2020), and we generally just seem to buckle when the game is on the line. In terms of the roster we fielded last year we absolutely should have won at least 6 games.

I don't buy any kind of narrative the our roster last year on paper screams "this was a 3 win team."

15-29 in 4 seasons with 29-15 talent, basically.  Add in about 3 bowls of the 4 with a couple wins and a loss, that’s about 31-16 (woulda, coulda, shoulda).  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

15-29 in 4 seasons with 29-15 talent, basically.  Add in about 3 bowls of the 4 with a couple wins and a loss, that’s about 31-16 (woulda, coulda, shoulda).  

29/44 would be a 65% win percentage, so call that an 8 win season each year on average. I don't think we could have expected Scott to do that in four years necessarily because of the dumpster fire he was inheriting.

Meaning, even just what you'd expect year one to be is going to pull down that average a lot.

But not making a bowl game even once? Then capping it off with a 3-9 season in year four? It's just terrible coaching.

24 minutes ago, Undone said:

29/44 would be a 65% win percentage, so call that an 8 win season each year on average. I don't think we could have expected Scott to do that in four years necessarily because of the dumpster fire he was inheriting.

Meaning, even just what you'd expect year one to be is going to pull down that average a lot.

But not making a bowl game even once? Then capping it off with a 3-9 season in year four? It's just terrible coaching.

I’m assuming a first year like he had.  But he has recruited and turned the roster over a bunch.  Almost no Riley guys at all and his better players over his 4 years include Riley guys.  He’s lost more 4 star guys than Riley signed I’d guess.  Riley made things much worse but I’m not sure last year’s team would have beat Riley’s first two teams either.  I start with a real bias against Adrian (way more than most and I will freely admit it) - hope he turns KState up if he gets the job.  But I am more bullish of several current guys over AM. AM was Frost’s ‘man’ so who knows. I could be all wrong but.  

• Fire 2
1 minute ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I’m assuming a first year like he had.  But he has recruited and turned the roster over a bunch.  Almost no Riley guys at all and his better players over his 4 years include Riley guys.  He’s lost more 4 star guys than Riley signed I’d guess.  Riley made things much worse but I’m not sure last year’s team would have beat Riley’s first two teams either.  I start with a real bias against Adrian (way more than most and I will freely admit it) - hope he turns KState up if he gets the job.  But I am more bullish of several current guys over AM. AM was Frost’s ‘man’ so who knows. I could be all wrong but.  

I think I can roughly get on the same page with your prior point that we've had a "29-15 roster" - assuming good/great coaching.

Last year's schedule was rated by some metrics as either the 1st or 2nd toughest schedule in the country, so it was tough to expect any greatness from 2021. And like I mentioned before the year one transition will tend to be really rough for obvious reasons.

But you're right, the talent has largely been there.

Just now, Undone said:

I think I can roughly get on the same page with your prior point that we've had a "29-15 roster" - assuming good/great coaching.

Last year's schedule was rated by some metrics as either the 1st or 2nd toughest schedule in the country, so it was tough to expect any greatness from 2021. And like I mentioned before the year one transition will tend to be really rough for obvious reasons.

But you're right, the talent has largely been there.

We had a tough schedule but it’s not all that different than the past 5 seasons, except one or two teams.  We have beaten ANY Big Ten teams much in a long time.  It will be tough this year. This is normal and it hasn’t been easy in decades really. 

Just now, 84HuskerLaw said:

We had a tough schedule but it’s not all that different than the past 5 seasons, except one or two teams.  We have beaten ANY Big Ten teams much in a long time.  It will be tough this year. This is normal and it hasn’t been easy in decades really. 

We have Not beaten.  Typo

• Fire 1