Mickey Joseph Hired As WR’s Coach, AHC & Passing Game Coordinator

Frank was a position coach when Osborne retired. Yes, I know TO requested that Solich become his successor, but still he was the running-back coach. Yes I realize the circumstances were different and Solich was coaching at N for a long time, but he still was a position coach. As I said in another thread, it’s way too early to even talk about Frost losing his job. But in case he does in the long run get fired or even resigns, it’s not impossible for a position coach like Joseph, with the great  influence he already has, to become the head coach. His influence seems to be more than just your regular assistant coach. But let’s see how next season goes first. My opinion could  change depending on the results of next season and how Joseph does. I will leave it at that. 

• Plus1 2

On 1/24/2022 at 10:53 AM, teachercd said:

Yeah but that is a tough sell...firing the HC and hiring one of his position coaches to be the new HC?

It worked for Dabo Swinney. Went from WR coach to HC and it turned out ok for Clemson. I'm not saying that is what needs to happen, but it has happened before.

On 1/24/2022 at 12:39 PM, Savage Husker said:

If it is a race thing by the kid or the coach, then it’s BS on whichever party holds that view. That’s enabling racism by removing Ruud to insert Joseph, if that’s the perception. 

From the BellWest coach, “if Joseph was there, then Helms and Johnson would be at Nebraska.” If he’s certain those two would be at Nebraska for Joseph then what’s the deal with bagging on Ruud checking in on Omaha? Is Helms moving to WR in college? 

His quotes don’t jive with the Huskerboard rumors. 

if helms and johnson are offensive skill players, it's not inconcievable to see that Mickey Joseph, who has a proven track record with skill position players, would have done better. unless there's something i'm missing.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, thatguy said:

if helms and johnson are offensive skill players, it's not inconcievable to see that Mickey Joseph, who has a proven track record with skill position players, would have done better. unless there's something i'm missing.

Sam McKewon mentioned that Joseph may be better in Omaha, because of Omaha's history of sending skills players (RB, WR, CB, etc.) and having a former LB (and LB coach) may not have connected with the skill players.  Other than Betts (who was a huge academic risk, so that scared off other teams), the recent Omaha guys were LB's, linemen, and TE's.  It's not a fault of Ruud's, it's just that the skill players are probably looking for a different type of coach to recruit them.

On 1/25/2022 at 1:05 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

In the NFL where there is slightly more money and reputation at stake, every underperforming team is chasing HC candidates with no HC experience. Usually OCs and DCs but not always. You identify a smart mind and a good motivator and grab him while he's under the radar. 

Zac Taylor was OC for all of one season at  U of Cincinnati before landing the Bengals job, correct?

• Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

49 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Didn’t he come from LA as the QB coach and Cinci saw his potential and the rest is history 

Taylor's last assistant coaching gig before Cincy was the with Rams. That was in the couple years where a number of Shanahan and McVay assistants were hired as head coaches.

Before the Rams, he was with U of Cincinnati, the Miami Dolphins, and Texas A&M. That's just off the top of my head, so he might have had another job or two.  

3 hours ago, thatguy said:

You’re correct, however, that factor is not the driving narrative about recruiting in the metro.