Martinez enters transfer portal

31 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Ya, I agree and was thinking. As we sit here without any wins, without any offensive coaches, without our 4 year starting QB, rumored to be losing the best center we've had in decades.... It sure feels like possibly the darkest hour in program history. I don't like it. 

It would have been better if some of this stuff like new OC coaches and a new QB had happened for this past season, so Frost would have had 2 yrs to prove himself after a major shake up.  Just about any Nebraska team regardless of makeup of coaches and players could have won 3 games this year.  It was a wasted year.

As far as Martinez, as long as he doesn't transfer to a Big 10 team, I wish him luck.  I think it is for the best that both he and Nebraska get a fresh start at QB.

Best of luck to him, I hope wherever he goes he finds fun and does well. I think Martinez is a great person and an absolute professional and is someone you want to represent your university. He gets blamed for so much, and I am on that train, but he has always remained calm and focused and blocks out all that noise. So wherever he goes I wish him the best and I do hope he has a great final year playing college football. 

19 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I think all of you wishing for someone else at QB may be in for a fun time next year.  The grass isn't always greener, maybe I am wrong, we will see.

I haven’t seen many stating AM was the problem, this season anyway.  If they did.  They were wrong.  He’s a good QB, but with how NU used him in the offense, he wasn’t the solution either.  I’m not sure any QB could have been.  Any QB on the roster would have been 3-9 this year.  But, AM probably kept the scores in the L’s a lot closer than others might have The problems are elsewhere and better get corrected or nothing that’s happening now will matter.  I don’t blame AM for transferring or HCSF changing the offense and likely looking to the portal for a change.  The clock’s ticking. 

Martinez was nothing but a class act, and I know he played through a lot of adversity here.  But for this team, they really need to get over the hump mentally.  I am in no way questioning Adrian's effort, but I think to a certain extent players can get "used to losing".  I will say after the Iowa game, I seen a hurt in Smothers eyes that I hadn't seen in Adrian in a long time, he was nearly in tears.  It's hard to imagine losing so many players off of a 3 win team and expecting them to be better next year, its downright scary actually.  You just have to hope like hell that Smothers (or whoever else) can bring in a fresh spark next year and they can get off to a good start and build some confidence.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I haven’t seen many stating AM was the problem, this season anyway.  If they did.  They were wrong.  He’s a good QB, but with how NU used him in the offense, he wasn’t the solution either.  I’m not sure any QB could have been.  Any QB on the roster would have been 3-9 this year.  But, AM probably kept the scores in the L’s a lot closer than others might have The problems are elsewhere and better get corrected or nothing that’s happening now will matter.  I don’t blame AM for transferring or HCSF changing the offense and likely looking to the portal for a change.  The clock’s ticking. 

I think its time both sides move on.  Guys a gamer, kept us in a lot of games but also had his fair share of gaffes in big moments.  I think mario v really f'd this kid over- his mechanics/play has not improved one bit since he arrived here.  His inconsistent reads/missed throws coupled with his terrible play in the red zone lead me to wanting a new qb.  Perhaps we're worse off, but i for one have seen enough for 4 years already to tell me not to expect much different in a potential 5th year, a 5th year mind you coming off a pretty significant surgery to his throwing shoulder.

We were going into the transfer pool regardless- glass half full, maybe we get some stronger consideration from a solid transfer knowing they dont have to beat out a 5th year starter

1 minute ago, MasterPulverizer said:

I keep seeing KSU mentioned as a potential landing spot.  What's this speculation based on? I'm missing something as to why that would be a good home for Adrian.

They have an opening with Thompson leaving, and his GF plays soccer there. 

• Plus1 1