Martinez enters transfer portal

4 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Ooo, which Olineman had the 0.0 grade? 

Probably easier to ask which Offensive Lineman *didn't* have a 0.0 grade at the end of the season. 

There's not just one problematic player on that O-Line. 

---

And for folks acting surprised that Martinez is leaving, we've known for months--all you had to do was pay attention to his dad's Twitter account, especially how he teed off on Nebraska fans mid-season calling Martinez out. 

Very few parents whose kids have intentions of staying put would be willing to pick a fight, deserved or no, with a fanbase on Twitter. 

• Fire 1

We should offer our appreciation to Adrian for his terrific work ethic, his leadership and his commitment to the program these past 4 years.  He has been a wonderful ambassador for the University and the football program.  We wish him well with his future endeavors and he is always welcome to come back.

With his departure as well as the departure of 2 running backs and 4 offensive assistants in the past two weeks, is this what optimists would describe as "addition by subtraction"?  If we similarly see our starting center depart as well, is that another encouraging sign that major success is on the 2022 horizon?

From the cheap seats, it looks to me like an exodus, not a revival.

• Haha 1

This is the smart move for everybody.

A few weeks ago I was leaning towards the narrative of Adrian Martinez coming back for one more year and a shot at redemption, but a fifth year of Adrian stands a good chance of looking like the previous four. Nobody would be satisfied. 

Now that it's over, I'm asking myself to compare three  of the last four Nebraska quarterbacks, who also happen to be the top three career total offense leaders in Nebraska football history. 

What's the difference between Adrian Martinez, Tommy Armstrong, and Taylor Martinez? 

Not much, really. Prolific dual threat playground ballers who started four seasons, racked up big yards, made thrilling plays, and became notorious for ill-timed turnovers and poor decisions. If Adrian had the OL and running back support Taylor and Tommy had, he might have earned a couple 9-4 seasons himself. At which point he would be held in the same regard we hold Tommy Armstrong and Taylor Martinez. Which is to say, not that highly. Tommy and Taylor went out with a whimper, too, and still generate mixed feelings from the fanbase. 

I'd say all three could have played college ball elsewhere, but Nebraska is the only school that would have let them get anywhere near those career numbers. Many programs would have tried to get them to switch positions. 

Maybe we need to rethink what a Nebraska quarterback should look like.

• Plus1 7
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

This is the smart move for everybody.

A few weeks ago I was leaning towards the narrative of Adrian Martinez coming back for one more year and a shot at redemption, but a fifth year of Adrian stands a good chance of looking like the previous four. Nobody would be satisfied. 

Now that it's over, I'm asking myself to compare three  of the last four Nebraska quarterbacks, who also happen to be the top three career total offense leaders in Nebraska football history. 

What's the difference between Adrian Martinez, Tommy Armstrong, and Taylor Martinez? 

Not much, really. Prolific dual threat playground ballers who started four seasons, racked up big yards, made thrilling plays, and became notorious for ill-timed turnovers and poor decisions. If Adrian had the OL and running back support Taylor and Tommy had, he might have earned a couple 9-4 seasons himself. At which point he would be held in the same regard we hold Tommy Armstrong and Taylor Martinez. Which is to say, not that highly. Tommy and Taylor went out with a whimper, too, and still generate mixed feelings from the fanbase. 

I'd say all three could have played college ball elsewhere, but Nebraska is the only school that would have let them get anywhere near those career numbers. Many programs would have tried to get them to switch positions. 

Maybe we need to rethink what a Nebraska quarterback should look like.

I would have held him in a higher regard if he would have wore his mouthpiece over his top teeth like the good lord intended.

9 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Preface: I agree that the difference isn't that great.

But Adrian's career completion percentage was 63.5%. Todd Reesing at Kansas (who crushed it there) was at 63.8%, and Joe Ganz landed at 65.1%.

Tommy & Taylor? Neither of them cracked 60% for their career. Taylor was close, but Tommy's career completion rate was pretty bad at 53.3%.

But yes, I'm in agreement that Adrian, Taylor, & Tommy were largely "run-first" guys. I'd love to see Frost's scheme with a "pass-first" mobile guy...but now I'm not even that sure we'll get to see it before he gets canned.

• Plus1 2
19 minutes ago, Undone said:

Preface: I agree that the difference isn't that great.

But Adrian's career completion percentage was 63.5%. Todd Reesing at Kansas (who crushed it there) was at 63.8%, and Joe Ganz landed at 65.1%.

Tommy & Taylor? Neither of them cracked 60% for their career. Taylor was close, but Tommy's career completion rate was pretty bad at 53.3%.

Our winningest quarterbacks, Tommie Frazier, Scott Frost, and Turner Gill, had completion percentages of 49%, 53% and 54% respectively. 

I know a lot of it has to do with schemes and defensive support and overall passing efficiency, but I think QB is mostly about the intangible of leadership. 

We need a QB where if a WR is streaking open to start a play, he is not afraid to pull the trigger.  Sometimes, you need to throw a receiver open as well which he seemed unable to do.  Martinez's accuracy was better this year on his long range throws, but he still missed plenty of open tall WRs and TEs.  He might do better with better coaching, but he probably wasn't going to get better here.  Some of his freshmen type turnover mistakes may never go away.  Nebraska could very easily be horrible next year, but another year of Martinez wasn't the solution. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1