Martinez enters transfer portal

5 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

We need a QB where if a WR is streaking open to start a play, he is not afraid to pull the trigger.  Sometimes, you need to throw a receiver open as well which he seemed unable to do.  Martinez's accuracy was better this year on his long range throws, but he still missed plenty of open tall WRs and TEs.  He might do better with better coaching, but he probably wasn't going to get better here.  Some of his freshmen type turnover mistakes may never go away.  Nebraska could very easily be horrible next year, but another year of Martinez wasn't the solution. 

I do believe part of the reason Adrian was so hesitant is because of how much preaching he received about cutting down turnovers. - Probably was, he wasn't really an ias much an interception machine as he was a fumble machine. 

To me, pass first mobile is a very apt description of Adrian.  

I feel to run Frost’s offense (whatever you want to call it), to win a Big Ten championship, you MUST have a GREAT passer that is exceptional at reading defenses prior to and during the play, is an exceptional ball handler and runs pretty well, especially able to avoid first tacklers and get 5-10 yards on runs, designed or not.  

The reason I lack much faith in the Frost scheme getting NU to the promised land, consistently, is QBs with these skills, are extremely rare and hard to keep 2 in the program 8 of 10 years.  Maybe get one, every 5 years, but that won’t get it done.  

Run the damned ball extremely well and throw decently when you must to keep drives alive and defenses honest.  Recruit a very good passer, runner or not, as your back up/scout teamer, and be in the Big Ten race every year.  

Tom Osborne figured this out and the rest is history.  No matter what offense you use, you build fast, fiery defense and win special teams FIRST.   Defense and special teams are absolutely vital.  Fill those positions with scholarships and then use what’s left for offense.  Get walkons to develop and fill in and create depth and competition.  And always find 3 or 4 walkons as starters somewhere.  
play atleast 7 starters on each special teams unit. Finally, get 3 kicker/punters and 2 returners that are either DBs or RBs.  

All easier said than done but I feel Frost focused of offensively skill guys first and should have been near last.  

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

It would be an interesting poll to see opinions about talent Frost inherited/recruited vs talent that AM was surrounded by as compared to TM and TA.

Also, Taylor Martinez threw 60%+ in his Junior and portion of Sr., the kid made measurable strides to improving that area of his game. 

Not only does Barney Cotton & the grad assistant(s) that worked with the OL look like a significantly better set of offensive line coaches than what we've had with Frost, Taylor inherited Helu and then Bo recruited Burkhead & Abdullah.

Abdullah specifically was in my opinion at least the 4th most talented I-Back in Nebraska history.

I'd pick Helu as the least impactful guy out of those three backs, and I'd say that if we had a back even on his level this last year the offense would've looked different (even with the poor blocking).

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Our winningest quarterbacks, Tommie Frazier, Scott Frost, and Turner Gill, had completion percentages of 49%, 53% and 54% respectively. 

I know a lot of it has to do with schemes and defensive support and overall passing efficiency, but I think QB is mostly about the intangible of leadership. 

I couldn't agree more with this take, Guy. And of course, there isn't a single poster here that could make the argument that Adrian didn't have that. He had it in spades.

But where people would then take the conversation is on his turnovers.

I really think the turnovers had more to do with the fact that in so many games Adrian's played in, there was basically no other move to make other than him putting it all on his shoulders and trying to get it done practically by himself.

Frost even commented in either a halftime or post game interview this year about how they "ask him to do so much."

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

We need a QB where if a WR is streaking open to start a play, he is not afraid to pull the trigger.  Sometimes, you need to throw a receiver open as well which he seemed unable to do.  Martinez's accuracy was better this year on his long range throws, but he still missed plenty of open tall WRs and TEs.  He might do better with better coaching, but he probably wasn't going to get better here.  Some of his freshmen type turnover mistakes may never go away.  Nebraska could very easily be horrible next year, but another year of Martinez wasn't the solution. 

This is exactly what Chiefs players said about the difference between Mahomes and Smith. I think one was quoted (loosely) as saying, “No offense against Alex, he hit us when we were open, but Mahomes throws the ball to make us open.” That’s part of the intangibles I’d add to what @Guy Chamberlin is referencing. 

I think everyone knows that the OL is trash, but those are 1st to 3rd year guys. The one player everyone hated on the most, and hated on Frost for moving him, has improved to where no one mentions his failures or the assessment of the coach. We just complain about freshman and sophomores who are playing in a “physical league like the B10.”

Martinez cleaned some things up this year and wasnt the sole reason why they lost 9 games, but I won’t miss his lack of feel for the game and how to win. 

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

This is exactly what Chiefs players said about the difference between Mahomes and Smith. I think one was quoted (loosely) as saying, “No offense against Alex, he hit us when we were open, but Mahomes throws the ball to make us open.” That’s part of the intangibles I’d add to what @Guy Chamberlin is referencing. 

I think everyone knows that the OL is trash, but those are 1st to 3rd year guys. The one player everyone hated on the most, and hated on Frost for moving him, has improved to where no one mentions his failures or the assessment of the coach. We just complain about freshman and sophomores who are playing in a “physical league like the B10.”

Martinez cleaned some things up this year and wasnt the sole reason why they lost 9 games, but I won’t miss his lack of feel for the game and how to win. 

I don't think you know what the word intangible means.

2 hours ago, commando said:

sad to see him go.    

Sad to see him go before he was able to finish great offense games.  His stats speak volumes.. tempered by the W/L stats.  Lots of discussion about why we lost so many games with him as QB,  some putting it on the O-Line, or Frost's play calling, etc.  But, something clearly was wrong.  I wish him well and I wish him victories no matter where he goes. 

Meanwhile, does anybody know if this transfer portal move was his idea?