Martinez enters transfer portal

I think Frost and Martinez had real heart to heart talk about this and Frost encouraged him to move on. If he wanted to stay, he was going to probably be there to mentor the new starting QB. 

Frost cleaned house on the offensive staff. He knows he’s coaching for his job next year. He knows many fans are ready for a change at QB. 

He is doing everything he can to be able to say, if he fails and gets fired, “I did everything I could to make the changes needed to win”. 

Now, many will still say that’s too little too late. But, at least he’s trying to make all the right moves now. If he fails, he moves on and I’m guessing he will still have a long coaching career somewhere. 

Here’s to hoping it all works and that long career is here. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think Frost and Martinez had real heart to heart talk about this and Frost encouraged him to move on. If he wanted to stay, he was going to probably be there to mentor the new starting QB. 

Frost cleaned house on the offensive staff. He knows he’s coaching for his job next year. He knows many fans are ready for a change at QB. 

He is doing everything he can to be able to say, if he fails and gets fired, “I did everything I could to make the changes needed to win”. 

Now, many will still say that’s too little too late. But, at least he’s trying to make all the right moves now. If he fails, he moves on and I’m guessing he will still have a long coaching career somewhere. 

Here’s to hoping it all works and that long career is here. 

Frost shouldn't give 2 damn cents about whether or not the "fans," are ready for a change at QB. The only thing that matters is whether or not Frost thought he was better off with Martinez at the helm than without, or if as someone who truly cared about Martinez the person, he thought it was better for Martinez to get a fresh start. 

The "fans," should not factor into that equation at all, whatsoever. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

I think we may be too hard on Adrian's passing ability. He's actually a damn good passer, and in every game the Huskers frightened a ranked opponent for 3.5 quarters, you'll find Martinez dropping dimes to a variety of receivers & routes on sustained drives. 

But we might be going too easy on him with the turnovers and decision making.  When fourth year starter Adrian Martinez made a bad decision or coughed up the ball or got some late game yips, I didn't see a problem with the offensive line or the play call. I mostly saw a QB lose his mojo as the pressure ratcheted up. 

It is kinda weird that 12 seasons, three different players and three different head coaches produced such similar QB play. 

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 2
23 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think we may be too hard on Adrian's passing ability. He's actually a damn good passer, and in every game the Huskers frightened a ranked opponent for 3.5 quarters, you'll find Martinez dropping dimes to a variety of receivers & routes on sustained drives. 

But we might be going too easy on him with the turnovers and decision making.  When fourth year starter Adrian Martinez made a bad decision or coughed up the ball or got some late game yips, I didn't see a problem with the offensive line or the play call. I mostly saw a QB lose his mojo as the pressure ratcheted up. 

It is kinda weird that 12 seasons, three different players and three different head coaches produced such similar QB play. 

I disagree on your second paragraph. Many times when he was in the two minute offense at the end of the game and the other team knew we were going to pass, the O line couldn’t protect him. The end of Minnesota is a prime example on the safety. Other games in that situation, he had no time to work. 

• Plus1 4
37 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Frost shouldn't give 2 damn cents about whether or not the "fans," are ready for a change at QB. The only thing that matters is whether or not Frost thought he was better off with Martinez at the helm than without, or if as someone who truly cared about Martinez the person, he thought it was better for Martinez to get a fresh start. 

The "fans," should not factor into that equation at all, whatsoever. 

I’m not saying that was his main reason for wanting a change. 

• Oh Yeah! 1

A lot was expected of Adrian. He's been under pressure for most of four years. He's a good athlete and an awesome guy. I don't think we really ever got to see how good he could've been here. His being hurried and injuries were challenging for him. Some of the criticisms of him have been fair. But he shows up and gives it his all every time no matter the circumstances. I hope his healing goes well, he recovers and that he's back on the field doing what he loves where he's in a position he can shine. All the best to Adrian Martinez!  

• Plus1 2

Huh. Did you know that Adrian Martinez ended the season with the seventh best Yards per Pass Attempt in the nation, just a couple ticks behind CJ Stroud?

This typically indicates the OL, the QB, and the receivers are doing something right most of the time. 

Unfortunately the times in question involved fourth quarters and red zones. 

• Plus1 1

Looking at Pac 12 QB picture, I don't know what if any eligibility remains or what that even means anymore but Cal and UCLA had senior QBs and Oregon a grad transfer.  Everyone else looks to have a returning starter for next season with the two exceptions below.

UW has a new coach and a young 5 star QB already on roster and the Freson State QB is following his coach, so not a likely landing spot.

USC, new coach with an injured veteran and young highly rated, out of hs, QB on roster.  Might he want another option?   

If he goes to Pac 12, UCLA seems like the most likely landing spot . 

1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

It is going to be strange watching Adrian Martinez in a different uniform.

Yep... it'd be strange even if he retired or went pro. Feels like he's been here forever.

Gonna miss him. He was a good dude and a good QB, despite what the bums around here think.

• Plus1 3
5 hours ago, knapplc said:

Maybe Adrian leaving doesn't fix anything.

I can't wait for the magic QB to waltz in here and not be affected by that. 

To the tweets, I can't believe it took 4 years to fire some of the staff......

Best of luck to AM.  he played hurt, beaten and broken.  Not a lot would have.  I hope that he can finally find success and get that signature win and a bowl game.

1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

It is going to be strange watching Adrian Martinez in a different uniform.

One thing I keep wondering is if he’ll start somewhere else? Learning a new playbook while recovering from surgery is a lot to ask of a player. Plus, there are better QBs out there, and he has lost his starting role before.